Best sounding iPhone app?
Feb 19, 2019 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

whohasaquestion

Head-Fier
Hi, so far I've tried iTunes, Google play music. foobar2000, VLC and Vox.

The reason not to use iTunes is because I don't want to be bothered converting FLAC to ALAC.

Also the ease of use is secondary as I really want to get the best sound out of iPhone SE. So far, I want to say Vox sounds best to my ears. However, it seems to distort the treble and sounds rather bright. I don't know if it's just me so give it a try and perhaps we can build a consensus here.

FLAC (ALAC) used on all players except for Google play music.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 3
I will start the review of each app...just to get the ball rolling :)

iTunes: Sounds great. The only complaint is I don't want to keep two copies of lossless format (FLAC, ALAC) of the same song, hence the birth of this discussion.

Google Play Music: Not compatible with lossless format. Big thumb down. Also sounded like everything is EQed to V shape even though I have it turned off. Convenient with free cloud storage but fidelity comes second, third or non-existent...

Foobar2000: Sounds a bit dry to me. Most feature-rich of all apps but the interface left something to be desired.

Vox: Dynamic and fuller sounding. However, it's often sibilant on treble. Again, EQ is turned off so I don't understand why I am getting sibilance from songs I don't get using other apps. Much more polished than Foobar2000.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back