Best sounding closed-back headphone $500-$1,000 for a non-audiophile?
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #31 of 32
Thanks. I see if I can test them.
I never wore D5200 before, but it looks like the design is essentially identical to D9200, which I owned for a long time. The comfort leaves much to be desired; the clamp is fine, however the headband's flat design means you get less contact with your head and (for me) resulted in a hotspot right on the top of my head. The pads are also quite small and not ideal for larger ears.

For headphone recommendations, a used TH900 could be a suitable option; they are widely regarded as one of the best headphones for bass at any price, let alone the $1,000 range. If the stock bass is not to your liking, they also take EQ very well; they can take several DBs of elevation in the bass without any hint of distortion. Be advised, however, that the stock treble is quite hot; the brightness of this headphone is almost as well-documented as its superb bass, and many users found it too bright. Again, EQ can be of assistance here; I can attest to its effectiveness in taming the highs, although it does remain a bright headphone. Comfort is quite good; they are fairly lightweight, and the clamping force is quite weak. The pads are very generous in width, although they are a bit shallow. The headband could use more padding, however; a simple headband cover should remedy this. If you can stretch your budget, these headphones are certainly worth considering.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 32
I never wore D5200 before, but it looks like the design is essentially identical to D9200, which I owned for a long time. The comfort leaves much to be desired; the clamp is fine, however the headband's flat design means you get less contact with your head and (for me) resulted in a hotspot right on the top of my head. The pads are also quite small and not ideal for larger ears.
I owned the 3 models of the Denon line up, strangely i encountered a moderate comfort issue (hot spot on the top of the head after several hours) only with de D7200, not the other 2... And i have a big head, i use the Denons at their max size, so the headband is as flat as it can be. However i agree regarding the pads holes being small, i don't think it is a problem but i prefer swapping them for Dekonis with big round holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back