Best sound quality (MP3 player with HD)
Mar 28, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 39
About the EQ; IMO the E3 s a great phone but it needs some EQ-ing to make it sound more balanced, regardless of the player used. UnEQ-ed it sounds too mid/mighig forward for my taste.

Mar 28, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Digital signals don't sound at all. What he was referring to was the amped analog signal

how can there be a natural sound when the ears are constantly changing. Why would a natural sound even be valued considering the changes. Altitude changes, illness, wax build-up, inebriation, sugar levels, weather changes, ambient noise; all of these things are going to have drastic effects on the sound, so why would you not want to have the ability to compensate for all of these factors.

People wear different headphones for different kinds of music, use different tubes for different types of music, use different amps for different types of music. The signal is already ultra processessed and digitized any way, EQ merely allows the listener to control the processing.

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
how can there be a natural sound when the ears are constantly changing. Why would a natural sound even be valued considering the changes. Altitude changes, illness, wax build-up, inebriation, sugar levels, weather changes, ambient noise; all of these things are going to have drastic effects on the sound, so why would you not want to have the ability to compensate for all of these factors.

Because all those factors are natural as well, of course.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
… EQ merely allows the listener to control the processing.

Have fun with it then. =o)

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #34 of 39
To offer an alternative opinion - I think the Neuros II has great sound quality. It supports ogg as well, and FLAC's on the books. The EQ is customizable. I haven't compared it to anything but an ipod, however. It definitely beats the ipod.

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 39
if theres anything that ive learned over the last few weeks is that the sound of a DAP is relative to who is listening to it. i used to have an iriver and i loved the sound out of it, even at low bit rates through crap head phones. alas its in heaven now, so i got an ipod mini, after hearing very good things about the sound. i was disgusted when i got it and thought about returning it. i have since learned that iriver have a "colored" sound , where as apple have a neutral sound, and with apple bitrates matter more, as does earphones, so i have started encoding at higher bit rates, i use mp3gain to remove clipping, started using LAME rather than whatever other one i was using, and i will soon be getting new head gear. i also learned that a set of head phones that sound great in one DAP might not suit another one,im starting to warm to the ipod sound now, but it just goes to show, no one player sounds the best, its all to do with who is listening to it and their preference so do your best to get a listen to any player your considering buying. in my opinion my iriver was a excellent, the ipod is quite good, and i dont like the sony at all

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #36 of 39
I am glad that you liked your iriver and your ipod but how is the sound colored on the iriver? Is there emphasis on certain frequencies or something. Does it add noise?

To each his own, but I could never part with my iriver. Plus when rockbox comes out this is going to be one incredible player. MusePack on a dap....

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 39
its hard to describe, but id imagine its the same as headphones. you can get two from two different manufacturers, with same dimensions,drive size , output etc, but they sound totally different. my iriver sounded brighter, with more of a ring. the ipod is by no means dull, its more clinical, the sound isnt as warm as from the iriver. this isnt a bad thing, im just used to listening to the iriver,but as i said, im getting used to the ipod

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
With uncompressed audio files, my iPod's line out is indistinguishable from my home CD player. I don't know how it could be better than that.

See ya
Steve

Hey Steve, what do you use to line-out your pod?

Thanks in advance,

O

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by JETninja
I play lossless formats (Karma's Flac support is sweet but its too ugly to me...I wanted one to match my Passats Blue interior lighting) and sound quality was very imortant to me.

In the daylight, the Karma is definetely different, but given that the Karma has a blue backlight, VU meters, and the dock glows blue and pulses to the music.....yeah that would look pretty sweet in any setup
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back