Best sound quality (MP3 player with HD)
Mar 24, 2005 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

XP_98

500+ Head-Fier
Among the newest MP3 player with HD : sony VAIO pocket, sony NW-HD3, archos AV420, gmini XS200, Iriver H320/H340, Rio Karma (even if not new), Zen Touch,
wich one has the best sound quality ?

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 39
If the gmini XS200 is anything like archos' other newer mp3 players you couldnt go wrong with it. It is also quite small and very affordable.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 39
iRiver, Creative (Touch, Xtra, and Micro all use the same sound processor), and Rio Karma are all at the top of the list. Consumer Reports ranked the Creative above the Karma for sound quality through the headphone jack.

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 39
With uncompressed audio files, my iPod's line out is indistinguishable from my home CD player. I don't know how it could be better than that.

See ya
Steve

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 39
@IC-silencer : having the same canalphones (shure E3), your advice is specially interesting for me
etysmile.gif

I think the VAIO pocket has poor EQ possibilities (I've tried it in a shop). How did you adjust it to your E3cs ? Is "flat EQ" sounding well, or did you use one of the 6 presets ?

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 39
I'm amazed Cowon wasn't mentioned. Any of their Iaudio products blows away any of the mp4 players that have been mentioned here. Better in terms of size, sound, options (VBR in numerous formats, radio, recording) and battery time, one of them has the longest battery time in its class.

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884
Not mp4, but mp3

There's an edit button right over there ------>

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 39
Same feelings about the Cowon/iAudio/JNC products, particularly the M3, it's an awesome little player, it requires a remote to access most of the features, but it's still extremely good, 20gb storage, lots of sound options, 5-band EQ, and BBE effects, but even without the effects the sound quality is phenomenal.

I often use it's Mach3Bass feature, it really provides a depth and warmthness that I've never heard before in any MP3 player. BBE is nice too, it seems to refine the sound especially on good bitrates like 256 and 320.

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 39
Why not the Sony?
I got the NW-HD1 and the E3, and, after EQ-ing, I think the combo sounds great. Not sonic fireworks, but I can listen and enjoy for hours and hours without any fatigue.

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by XP_98
@IC-silencer : having the same canalphones (shure E3), your advice is specially interesting for me
etysmile.gif

I think the VAIO pocket has poor EQ possibilities (I've tried it in a shop). How did you adjust it to your E3cs ? Is "flat EQ" sounding well, or did you use one of the 6 presets ?

I dont use the EQ! I only listen to the natural sound
etysmile.gif
This sound ist very detailed, warm, has good bass (i dont understand why some people say the E3cs have no bass), full etc. This combo (Sure E3c + Sony Vaio Pocket) is unbeatable for Pop and Rock! I have tried it with expensive Etymotics 4Ps (my brothers earphones) but i was very disappointed about this sound (pro: very clear for classic freaks, very good highs; con: no bass, a little bit thin sound).

In comparison with the Irriver H320 (my brothers player), i cant hear any big differences (tested with Sony MDR-EX71 earphones). Both Player sounds great!! Both tested without EQ.

Last words: Sorry for my bad English but i hope you understand me!
biggrin.gif

Marco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back