Best sound card in $100 range?
Feb 14, 2009 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

joojoo2915

New Head-Fier
I am running XP pro, primarily used for powered monitors and source for AKG701 run to amplifier. I have no plans to run surround, 2.1 is plenty. It would have to be for a standard PCI port. I mostly listen to music or movies, not much gaming. I'm happy to go to either side of $100 but that was basically the range I was thinking of. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 17
The best one out right now is probably the Asus Xonar. From almost all reviews I have read it is better than anything Creative has right now, and it doesn't have the driver issues that Creative has had in the past.

Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

The real cream of the crop is the next step up but its around $180 so that may be too steep for you.

One of the main reasons to get a Creative card would be for EAX, but the Xonar emulates it pretty well and also you don't game, so no problem.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 17
you're just talking about surround/multimedia cards though smrtby, why not also suggest some high quality stereo sources as well, like the ESI Juli@, E-MU 0202 and 0404, and M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and 192

not to mention that the Xonar D1 is not "better than anything Creative has", its just another option in a sea of choices, so stop with the absolutist crap

another track to look at is the Audiotrak (no pun intended) Prodigy, same company that makes ESI, although the price/availability could be an issue (depends on your world region), same goes for the Onkyo SE200 (which I'd also suggest)

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 17
I have the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2...Nice sounding card for stereo...Has a headphone amp and sounds fantastic paired with a pair of AudioEngine 5's that are run through a Velodyne VX10 sub.

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Gold Sound Card

I had to wait a couple of months to get one, but well worth it.

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 -*High-End 192 kHz Reference HiFi Audio Interface for audiophiles and music enthusiasts.

The ESI Juli seems like a killer card and probably not as hard to get your hands on.

I am just done with Creative stuff and the Asus card is way over your 100 duckie price tag.

For the money...In my humble opinion the AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 cant be beat with a bat.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in the Prodigy HD2, where exactly can I buy this in the US? Not to keen on ordering from that company in hookem's link, though. Thanks.

I've ordered from them in the past. You have nothing to worry bout with them.

The Prodigy HD2 seems very hard to get here in the USA. I had it on order from link above (I had ordered a Prodigy LT from the a few years back) until I found one on sale here. At the time though it was on back order. Seems even they have to order it from overseas.

Unfortunately there aren't any other local sources. The only other I found at the time was on ebay from sellers in Asia

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 17
I ordered the Prodigy HD2 back on January 9th from Floridamusicco and it's still on backorder. Last I heard it was stuck in Germany and that was two weeks ago. Great card, just really hard to come by.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 17
Florida Music is a good vendor and the only place I have been able to find one in the US.

Nice card...You just have to order one and wait for it to come in.

Call and ask how many are already sold on the shipment they have coming.

I was a hammer head and did not want to order one until it was in stock.

Aint that kind of party.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're just talking about surround/multimedia cards though smrtby, why not also suggest some high quality stereo sources as well, like the ESI Juli@, E-MU 0202 and 0404, and M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and 192

Do you have any more suggestions fella? I'm in a very similar situation to the OP, so I hope he doesn't mind if I jump on board! I'm using Vista 64.

The Juli@ can be rotated 180 degrees. That's pretty smart!

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 17
I have the Prodigy HD2 now for some months. The sound is nice, definitely an improvement over the Audigy 4. The downside is that the drivers are not completely stable. Once in a while (so not at all often) I get a BSOD referring to the Prodigy's drivers. Also moving the BSplayer movie screen for example causes audible interference. So keep that possibility in mind.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 17
I ordered a Xonar D1 last night. I read a review in which the author said it was much better than his onboard and not too far behind his hotrodded X-Fi ExtremeMusic. That should be good enough for my family PC. Once I've had a chance to listen to it, I'll let you know what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back