Best sonics with cd's: Rega, Marantz, or Cambridge?
Jul 31, 2007 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
This question is for those who have at least listened to, owned, or compared at least 2 of the following units:
For around $1,000.00, which has the overall best sonics playing CD's,
the Rega Apollo, Marantz SA8001, or the Cambridge Azur 740c?
And just how did they compare sonically to one another?
Thanks!

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard the Cambridge or the Marantz but I do own the Rega Apollo and really like what I have heard. I think for the money, its a hard one to beat.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 11
I've compared the apollo to the 640 v2\740 (and cd73) and I preferred the Apollo. But, the store manager where I shop prefers the CA. Your best bet is to audition them yourself and see what you like, each ear is different.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 11
The CA has good build quality for the money. I have not heard the Marantz, but the Rega Apollo did not sound as good as Saturn when I compared them.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CA has good build quality for the money. I have not heard the Marantz, but the Rega Apollo did not sound as good as Saturn when I compared them.

uh...If Apollo sounds as good Saturn, then something is really messed up here
3000smile.gif
e.g. damaged Saturn
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 11
Alot of good things are reported about the rega apollo, cambridge should be decent as well and marantz is mostly on the warmer side of the sound. So, if you prefer warmer sound, go for marantz. I think the marantz and rega are your best bets, and reading reviews my top of the list would be the rega apollo. It has the most analogue sound of the players in it's class.

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 11
I find Cambridge products to be pretty dry, boring and unmusical - without soul. I've really liked the sound of Rega CD players. They sound quite smooth and liquidy - quite analogue. Never been impressed with Marantz.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 11
budget aside, i'm not sure if you're considering it or not but....you might want to add naim to the already fine list of players.....give audiogon a looksie

Aug 4, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 11
I've heard Rega's Planet (2000?) and Apollo on headphones, and I really liked them. I've also heard the Cambridge's 340c, and have auditioned 640c and 740c on speaker setups.

I liked the Apollo. The Rega line is very inviting and warm, which I think is good with vocal music. Cambridge hasn't appealed to me at all. Perhaps something from Naim audio? I really liked their CD5i and CD5p from two years back.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 11
My Planet 2000 arrived today and to my ears it's amazing. It sounds so clear, and so musical. Honestly I never believed audio reproduction could sound this good!

Haha actually I don't meet any of your criteria as I haven't heard any of those three players. But if the Apollo sounds anything like my Planet 2000 IMO you can't go wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back