Best Songs/Tracks for comparing two (or more) headphones
Nov 14, 2016 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AAJoe

Member of the Trade: Antlion Audio
Heya Folks,

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this, but was unable to find a thread that answered this sufficiently.

Are there specific recommended tracks of various styles typically used to show off the advantages/disadvantages of different headphones? 

If someone can point me to the right thread or has recommendations that would be awesome.

Figure that we'd be running them through a Schiit Magni/Modi stack connected to a PC. The point and purpose would be to showcase (at an event, as well as in our office) to help people determine what sound signature is right "for them" when it comes to a pair of headphones.

I'm open to if the Schiit setup won't be enough to draw out the distinctions at some of the higher end headphones (HE1000s and HD600 is as high as we go at the moment in terms of cost). We've got all the equipment you can imagine, figure it would be a fun way to draw people into our booth at some upcoming shows (quieter ones, obviously), as well as educate them a bit on their own personal sound tastes.

Also if this is the wrong forum, please excuse me and move me where I belong :D

-Joe

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 6
ideally, people will be better at identifying changes while listening to something they are used to. I know that I have my list of tracks for such purpose that almost didn't change in the last 15years. but most of the songs aren't anything special but when something changes, I'm more likely to notice because I know the songs by heart.
so a good solution might be to have some streaming service, a huge library, or simply a card reader and as many inputs as possible for people to use their own music.

the other possible approach is to go with some demo album with everything impressive and nice, but while it might help to sell, it might not help to chose as much as known tracks.

and then there are the typical test tracks, some organ piece by Bach(who else?), and some symphony to get how it feels with tens of instruments and passages with wide dynamic. usually some Pink Floyd because reasons. I'm pretty sure that 500 years ago, people were already using Pink Floyd for their test tracks so audiophiles tend to recognize it as a reference test^_^. Diana Krall or whatever well recorded female voice with enough ssssss to know where we stand on sibilance, and usually something with a lot of bass and subs. that already covers a few fundamentals I guess.
but if you have to limit the selection, you should still favor widely known recordings over some obscure(yet amazing) African drums album, or some never released mesmerizing blues album. knowing the song really is a massive help IMO.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks @castleofargh (and epic Saitama pic).

For some reason having people use their own phones/etc to set it up didn't occur to me. That has some interesting merit to it! Is there general consensus as to which streaming service has the best quality. Though I worry at any show internet can be pretty spotty.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I usually use some early Bob Dylan music, because of the rough voice and possibly harsh harmonica. When youre a bit familiar with Dylan, it's easy to hear if the headphone sounds right. I think.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 6
streaming at a show would probably fall in the "if anything can go wrong, it will" section. I really don't know how well prepared the audio shows are for internet bandwidth.
we have a few topics about tidal vs spotify and the likes, objective information is hard to come by, but are just fine IMO. I'd just prepare like the top 20 albums sells of all time on the hard drive, and whatever you already have, chances are people will know those songs. 
I don't know how "gangnam style" and "apple pen" do as hifi references ^_^.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Seems like the general consensus from our Dylan fan is still to stick to music you know over music that is technically complex or highlights a specific area. Excellent info guys, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back