Best Solo Guitarists
Aug 7, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tommy Emmanuel is up there for me--not necessarily for his technical prowess (which is amazing in its own right), but for his emotional playing and fantastic arrangements.

I didn't think he would be mentioned. Indeed an amazing musician
rs1smile.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #52 of 72
Any other fans of Monte Montgomery around here? He plays similar to Vai/Satch/etc... but he does it on an acoustic guitar. His live shows blow his studio cd stuff completely out of the water.

Here's a clip of him playing Hendrix's 'Little Wing' and there are several more songs on youtube as well.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #53 of 72
You guys missed two titans, one obvious and one perhaps a little less so:

Keith Richards!!!!

.... and the not-so-famous in the US but very, very very incredible Jan Akkerman, formerly of Focus.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuhannibal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys missed two titans, one obvious and one perhaps a little less so:

Keith Richards!!!!

.... and the not-so-famous in the US but very, very very incredible Jan Akkerman, formerly of Focus.

I have a couple of Jan Akkerman LPs that I haven't listened to for 20 years. I finally got an amp I could plug my turntable into and the stylus broke on the 3rd record I listened to.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zappa (intuitively) and Vai (technically) are some of the best in those catagories.

Zappa is far and away my favorite guitarist and band leader. It's ashame that more people don't realize that his music is more than silly or crude songs.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zappa is far and away my favorite guitarist and band leader. It's ashame that more people don't realize that his music is more than silly or crude songs.

Exactly... Really there is something in his catalog for nearly anyone. More people should check out his "serious" works.. especially his orchestrated works like "Yellow Shark", "London Symphony Orchestra", "Boulez conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger", etc.. He really was a music genius, I could go on forever about the man... needless to say his music and personality really had an effect on my life!!

"Music is the best" - FZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back