best solder
Mar 20, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 46
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55516
eek.gif

Does the Cardas always win these threads?
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #20 of 46
I use ol rat shack 62/36/2 silver bearing solder

its nice to work with cools quick, but corrodes my solder tips, I think I need a new one already (3rd tip in the past month or two) but I should note Ive solder many many many joints already
smily_headphones1.gif

time to look up Kester, I dont know if Cardas is worth the price.

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55516
eek.gif

Does the Cardas always win these threads?
biggrin.gif

LOL, I should've added Kester 44 or "Wonder solder" to that poll.

Seems that most like Cardas because it's so easy and clean to work with.

Haha, and the fumes smell better, according to one person.

Actually, it does smell a little "sweeter".
tongue.gif

OK, smoking too much solder.......

-Ed

Mar 20, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I use ol rat shack 62/36/2 silver bearing solder

its nice to work with cools quick, but corrodes my solder tips, I think I need a new one already (3rd tip in the past month or two) but I should note Ive solder many many many joints already
smily_headphones1.gif

time to look up Kester, I dont know if Cardas is worth the price.

Send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you 6" of Cardas solder to try out.
That goes for any of you guys who want to try it.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 46
I think I'm going to take you up on that. I would really like to try it. The one thing that makes it stand out to me is that it has copper in it. I like copper. It's what almost all the wires I solder are made out of, and if I could find/afford all the ends I use in copper, I would use that for almost everything. It just makes sence to me to have the solder contain the same materials as the joints.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #24 of 46
The actual amounts of copper and silver in the Cardas solder are pretty small, relatively speaking.

But if anything it helps to achieve the proper eutectic blend. And would, if anything help to prevent galvanic corrosion, by having some similar metal in the solder.

-Ed

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you 6" of Cardas solder to try out.
That goes for any of you guys who want to try it.

Is that 6 inches or 6 metres Todd?
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomortis
Do I NEED silver solder?

Depends on what you are soldering. Most of the time, no you don't need silver. You do need it to repair really old Textronix Oscilliscopes, the ones with the ceramic strips. Silver solder is also a good idea for some(all?) SMD rework.

I use MultiCore 60/40 in a small .61mm diameter for 95% of what I do. I'm used to working with the stuff, it works well and it is inexpensive. Eutectic isn't for me. I'm too set in my ways.

Exotic solder --- I'd rather use my limited funds elsewhere.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #30 of 46
I don't have much experience with other solder. But...I am using cardas solder and it seems pretty good to me. If you look around the web, you can find it for a reasonable price - still a bit pricey. I doubt that I will even try anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back