Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 16, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #978 of 5,166
Quick impressions of my new ZTE Axon 7 Mini, (DAC engaged, Dolby Atmos off). Sound tested with:
  • Sony MDR-7506- More full sounding than with any of my other phones, not hollow and weak sounding. The Amp has enough grunt to power them.
  • KZ ZS5- Another hard to drive, notoriously very source-dependant 'phone- My mouth literally dropped open. Beautiful! Hard to want to switch to the next set...
  • KZ ZS6- Starting to see a trend here?- Surprisingly, not as good as the ZS5, Slightly more congested, but with less clear, clean midrange.
  • KZ ZS3- The trend continues... Seriously? Another jaw-dropping moment. Treble is lower than any of the previous 'phones, but still clearly heard, not bad for a single dynamic driver.
  • Mee Audio M6 Pro- Meh. Still seems to be that ugly peak in the lower treble. The under $10 ZS3 still sounds 96.57% better, even on a better amp.
  • Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium- Another meh from me. Couldn't even compete with the M6 Pro, except in bass quantity, if not quality.

All in all the better the earphone/headphone, the better the result with this phone. Everything except the last two sounded better than I have ever heard them. Th M6 Pro sounded a little better than before, but "you can't polish a turd", as the saying goes. The Koss sounds better on my PC's output, where it is my daily driver for work, due to the fact that I can hear through the open back.

The built in stereo speakers are great for a phone, but pale in comparison to many bluetooth speakers. the Dolby Atmos processing is kind of gimmicky, but really adds to the enjoyment of movies. Watching the Atmos trailer gave the feeling of being in a surround sound theater, with audio seeming to come from around and even behind me.

As a DAP, the phone is totally worth it.

As a phone, the jury is still out. I'm still SIM card shopping for the best reception at the lowest price.

Wifi works great on the Netgear extender, but not the Netgear Nighthawk router, go figure. No 5gHz wifi band available on this phone, (it has hardware support, but has been disabled in the firmware for some reason).

Fingerprint scanner is good, not great, sometimes has to be tapped a couple of times. Still quicker than using a PIN or password.

The OLED screen is a joy to look at, but is not quite as nice as recent Samsung Galaxy S-class phones.

For the Amazon price, it's hard not to recommend. For the GearBest price, even harder.

Gearbest sells the unlocked Eurozone version, with a European plug on the charger, but they thoughtfully included a US-to-European adapter in the shipping envelope for free. Nice touch. I may have trouble activating the phone in the US due to the differing frequency bands and protocols, but the frequency ranges look to be a reasonable match. 99c SIM cards are easily available, so I can carrier-shop until I find a good fit.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm just starting to get my feet wet with this phone. but we can learn together...

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #979 of 5,166
Quick impressions of my new ZTE Axon 7 Mini, (DAC engaged, Dolby Atmos off).
Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm just starting to get my feet wet with this phone. but we can learn together...

Is there a menu setting to turn the DAC chip on/off (like the LG V series phones)?

Is it easy to audibly tell when the DAC is off and does the DAC chip work with other music player apps?

Also, are there any other audio settings like gain or a universal EQ?

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #980 of 5,166
Is there a menu setting to turn the DAC chip on/off (like the LG V series phones)?

Is it easy to audibly tell when the DAC is off and does the DAC chip work with other music player apps?

In order:
Yes
Yes/ yes, if they are written to work with the DAC...Poweramp, for example. There are others, but I haven't done much research yet. The stock player is what I've been using.
No.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #982 of 5,166
Long time not checked here
I have an S8 Exynos that is pretty good with earphones like W1 Pro or KZ ZS3, though I don't hear a difference using Flac music, I wonder if the HTC U11 using the dongle can play Flac better?
They say U11 is a High Res audio phone

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #983 of 5,166
Thanks for the review! Just wondering if the DAC is functional when using streming service such as Spotify?
I'm not sure about that, my understanding is that an app has to be coded specifically to take advantage of an internal or USB DAC. I seem to remember reading that Spotify does, but I'm pretty hazy on that.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #985 of 5,166

I just did a search (from my PC) on the Play Store for "DAC player" and came up with several interesting results, Haven't checked any of them yet...

More detail on sound changes from DAC to normal: The signal gets louder when you switch from Standard to Super, but even when adjusting the volume to be the same, Super sounds more clear and defined. It is possible that there is some digital jiggery-pokery going on to make standard sound even worse than it should, (marketing, anyone?) but I don't think so.

The phone is currently on 6.1 Marshmallow. Tonight I'll download and install the Android Nougat 7.1 upgrade OS. I'll run a before and after audio test. I don't think there'll be any changes SQ, but you never know...

I'll look around the new OS for your gain or universal EQ as well.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #986 of 5,166
I just did a search (from my PC) on the Play Store for "DAC player" and came up with several interesting results, Haven't checked any of them yet...

More detail on sound changes from DAC to normal: The signal gets louder when you switch from Standard to Super, but even when adjusting the volume to be the same, Super sounds more clear and defined. It is possible that there is some digital jiggery-pokery going on to make standard sound even worse than it should, (marketing, anyone?) but I don't think so.

The phone is currently on 6.1 Marshmallow. Tonight I'll download and install the Android Nougat 7.1 upgrade OS. I'll run a before and after audio test. I don't think there'll be any changes SQ, but you never know...

I'll look around the new OS for your gain or universal EQ as well.

Thanks. Especially good to know Poweramp works with the DAC.

The Mini is definitely a prospect for me since I'm still using the massive LG V10 and there aren't a lot of smaller options.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #988 of 5,166
The update of my ZTE Axon 7 Mini to 7.1 Nougat was unsuccessful, probably because I downloaded the US version onto my "global' phone although Google Play Store shows I have a US T-Mobile phone...

ZTE Russia has an update available... I could try that one so that I can update to the latest security patches, or just wait until I can't stand to have 6.1 Marshmallow anymore.

Got My Superlux HD681 32 ohm headphones in the mail yesterday. The Mini can drive the headphone well, but not much over painfully loud volume-wise, (not that I need that much volume, lol.) Beautiful sounding 'phones.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #990 of 5,166
Due to unexpected expenses popping up I'm selling my ZTE Axon 7 Global - Almost new, used for month. I'm based in EU, Ireland. Asking price - €220. All bits included apart from the headphones (gave them to mrs). PM me if interested.
Great sounding phone BTW :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back