Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #857 of 5,166
And how do you compare axon7 to v20 in term of sq?

Axon7 is v shape. While V20 is focused on smooth vocal with balanced frequency response.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #858 of 5,166
Axon7 is v shape. While V20 is focused on smooth vocal with balanced frequency response.

what do you mean by V shape? still trying to understand the definition haha
"V-Shaped - The description of a frequency response curve for a speaker or headphone. In layman's terms it means more prominent lows and highs with a recessed mid-range, hence the "V" shape formed from such a sound signature. Similar to a "U" shaped response curve but is generally used to describe a more dramatic difference."

Been using LG V20 for weeks now and i have to say the vocals are much clearer however the impact is still not as great as iPhone 6S Plus

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #859 of 5,166
what do you mean by V shape? still trying to understand the definition haha
"V-Shaped - The description of a frequency response curve for a speaker or headphone. In layman's terms it means more prominent lows and highs with a recessed mid-range, hence the "V" shape formed from such a sound signature. Similar to a "U" shaped response curve but is generally used to describe a more dramatic difference."

Been using LG V20 for weeks now and i have to say the vocals are much clearer however the impact is still not as great as iPhone 6S Plus
Have you tried high impedance Headphones?

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #860 of 5,166
Hi friends, i just wanted to give a quick tip: If your smartphone sounds ****ty and you don`t want to spend a lot of money, get an LG Hi-fi plus from ebay or something (it`s dirt cheap) and be happy.
I have an LG V20 with B&O logo and just bought an xperia xz premium to replace it. Phone is great, but sound quality isn`t, so i was already thinking of selling it, but then rembered that i had that module flying around somewhere.

Short story: I plugged it in, and it worked instantly with the Sony stock player on android 8 Oreo. It is recognized as a 24bit/48hz device, so there isn`t even a need to download or buy the USB audio player pro...
The quality is day and night in comparison to the standard 3.5mm jack on the XZ premium (and any other phone for that matter) and even in comparison with the b&0 tuned V20 in aux mode, it sounds audibly better( better mids and highs and spacier, wider sound) and it`s louder. I still have both phones here, so i compared the sound immediately. Also, just like the V20, you can trick it into AUX and high gain mode with the same method. That method was described here a thousand times so i won`t repeat it again.
Try VE Monk plus. They are cheap but high impedance.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #863 of 5,166
You dont even need high impedance headphones. With those you'll prove that the amp is superior in the V20 compared to standard smartphones. But with a qualitative low impedance iem you'll hear the superior DAC. Yes it’s in another league if you use resolving headphones.

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #864 of 5,166
Guys, how do I know if the dedicated DAC is kicking? I use low impedance iems so the extra amp isn't that important.

I know that Neutron, Poweramp, Jetaudio and others has the ability to use the dedicated DAC, but i'm planning on use the HTC Music app along with ViperFX.

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #865 of 5,166
Guys, how do I know if the dedicated DAC is kicking? I use low impedance iems so the extra amp isn't that important.

I know that Neutron, Poweramp, Jetaudio and others has the ability to use the dedicated DAC, but i'm planning on use the HTC Music app along with ViperFX.
Use tinymix log to check if the sampling rate/bit depth are correct and which dac is being used on devices with multiple dac's.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #867 of 5,166
Did someone here try an Xperia xz premium? I`m quite surprised by the sound quality. The stock volume is too low, but after rooting it and editing the mixer paths file to make it louder, that thing sounds gorgeous. I compared it with my V20 (B&O tuned) and with the B&O Hifi plus module, and while still being a little bit quiter, the sound quality on the same volume is on par with the Hi-fi plus module and even a bit cleaner than on the V20 (and HTC10 for that matter), which i wouldn`t expect even in my dreams. it`s absolutely clean, there is zero distortion and everything from lows to highs sounds absolutely beautiful without interefering with each other frequence. I dont even feel the need to use that hifi plus module with my akg y55`s anymore because its so good. The B&O`s H3 and fiio ex1`s also sound amazing with it. Today i also compared it with an Huawei Mate S, and the Sony is another level to say the least. I owned a ton of phones with seperate DAC/amp combos (Htc10 meizu pro 5, pro 6 plus, V10, v20, letv x900, xiaomi mi note pro, diverse apples etc) and the best one until now was the V20...But now comes this thing and just surpasses them all, and all that without any mention of a super-duper separate DAC. I was thinking for months to replace my V20 with it and never did because i feared the decrease in sound quality, but that quality is seriously unexpected. It`s really really surprising.

Problem is, as i said, you must be willing to root it, otherwise the volume is way too low.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #868 of 5,166
I have had my LG V30 for about a week now and have to say that I LOVE it!

Some backstory: I am in Canada and with Bell Mobile. I was looking for a V20 and hoping for a V30. Black Friday came and I got on the phone. After several hours of negotiation I was offered the V30 for$199.00, but I had to jump my two-phone package from $110.00 to $140.00 per month. Also got a free Samsung S7 for my wife.

I also bought a 128GB card for my music collection.

Used the stock player for several days and was REALLY impressed, especially in Hi-Fi mode. I have been using them over lunch time every day with my Meze 99 Classics. It did feel like something was missing and so I went back to using my old player (Rocket Player) and it was even better today. The sound is miles ahead of my Note 4!!!

On a side note the speaker is pretty damn good. I have never listened to music on a phone via the speaker as I always thought it sucked. While getting used to the phone, I accidentally played the music and was really surprised at the quality of the sound.

Barring malfuntions, I will be keeping this thing for years.

Shane D

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #870 of 5,166
So , Is it worth getting something like v20 for audio only (Using Nexus 6p as daily driver) or something like fiio x5 ?
good sounding smartphones can match mid-tier daps when it comes to sound. i've heard them both, but with different earphones and not at the same time, so i won't jump to definitive conclusions, so i'd just say that the x5 (1st gen) won't necessarily sound better than a v20. i've heard the x5-iii with my akg n40's and while it has more power obviously, in single ended mode it sounds very similar to my phone (meizu pro 6). in balanced mode, it's like from an other planet, it's very good: spacious, airy, dynamic, with plenty of details and power. i haven't heard any phone sounding nearly as good as the x5-iii balanced.

so it depends on your setup and preferences: how much would you spend, would you carry around an other device, do you have any balanced iem's, etc. my general idea is that 99% of people won't need a separate dap next to a v20 for casual, non-critical music listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back