Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
May 29, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,426 of 5,166
Anyone tried the new Oneplus 6 yet? I have it coming this week and hoping it's close to the V30...

May 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,428 of 5,166
Oneplus phones are not designed for music.. So sorry to disappoint
This is what I figured as well. I haven't been using my V30 for music as much lately.

May 29, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,429 of 5,166
Just wanna ask, is the LG G5 still good nowadays? Can find some for 70-170USD here secondhand, but some with image retention (so around 30USD more for a replacement screen).
with b+o yes ... just for the price you find alternatives. I'm writing on a axon7 which is good... with impedance weaknesses...
the xls is a great source for shopping list!

May 29, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,430 of 5,166
Ok guys,

I have a summary of Honor 10 (which is chinese version 6GB/128GB + Real Hi-Fi option) 's sound quality compared to my previous phone, xplay6.

XPlay6 FW 7.12.0
Honor10 FW 8.1.0.109

IEM used for test: 64audio U12 + Brimar Supreme Ref Cable (4 braids)

Introduction
- Honor 10 has only 15 volume steps whereas xplay6 Hi-Fi can adjust volume slide bar for 30 steps. That means it is so hard to fine tune the appropriate volume in Honor 10 so please note on this drawback.
- Honor 10 Chinese version will have Hi-Fi option to choose in sound setting while Global version won't have (as I know for now), it replace with the word "natural" sound setting which I tested and found not the similar sound compared to Chinese version. so this is second note for you guy whether you can accept on global version.

Music App: I used neutron music player and set them to get Hi-Res setting in Audio Hardware to bypass android limitation of sampling rate.

The comparison result to xplay6 is as follows

Subbass For EDM songs, xplay6 can perform clearly better. There is more rumble and extended subbass than Honor 10.

Mid bass. Both are at same level where Honor 10 gives smoother mid bass while in xplay6, I can clearly hear a little more controlled bass.

Upper Mid Honor 10 gives a more forwarded upper mid. The details is at similar level

Treble Honor 10 gives a quite smooth treble while xplay6 give more details at note-end and little more extended.

Speed & Micro detail Honor 10 gives a quicker pace of music making rock music feels more fun and more catchy by sacrificing details compared to xplay6. While xplay6 still gives better layering and instrumental imaging (especially when listening in music that contains a lot of jingles, synthetic sounds)

Soundstage: Since Honor10 gives a more forwarded mid, it makes us fell the head stage is a little narrower and lesser depth imaging than xplay6. xplay6 even provides more 3D and more surround than Honor 10.

In sum, Honor 10 's Hi-Fi does sound great for the price. There is no muddy sound like in normal phone. The tuning is towards fun sounding and easy-going experience rather than retrieve all the details/ technical in songs like in vivo xplay6. Still quite pleasant experience for its price. (camera quality is at same level as Huawei P20 which is pricier as well. :wink: )

The music genre suitable to Honor 10 are Live music, Acoustics and Pop and Rock (but not to Heavy rock). Thanks to its smooth timbre and open upper mid with adequate mid bass.
While listening to synthetic music or EDM or heavy rock which contains a lot of samplings, jingles and subbass, xplay6 wins hands-down.

For the technical sound quality of Honor10 is at same level as vivo X20.

Any Questions, feel free to ask.

May 29, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,431 of 5,166
Aurora Huawei army on top of xplay6 box. :wink:

FB_IMG_1527650564438.jpg

May 30, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,433 of 5,166
The iPhone X’s tiny headset adapter DAC is converting 192 K PCM (wav or flac) to some stunning audio via Golden Ears player

After trying out many of the best player apps
The sound tonality of the amp in the Hp cord / adaptor is great , better than any of my androids , yet all output is 48k

I do not have the V30 yet

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,437 of 5,166
Anyone tried the new Oneplus 6 yet? I have it coming this week and hoping it's close to the V30...
Hi I'm sorry to be contrary but I have owned and used both the lg v30 and the OnePlus 6 . Although the v30 clearly has the louder amp and quad DAC, I do most of my listening at low to moderate volumes through sensitive Iems (Shure se535 and se846) and I always found the v30 to have a bit of background noise during quiet passages of music. This led to me selling the phone, and I must say that the background of the OnePlus 6 is perfectly silent and I find the sound signature to be very neutral with a really good dynamic range. In addition, imho using the OnePlus 6 is an all round much better experience than the lg v30. Better quality oled screen and Fast and almost stock 8.1. major downside for me is no SD card slot. Had this phone since launch and seriously impressed so far.... It has overtaken the iPhone X as my daily driver for the time being (have also recently owned and returned the s9 plus and the pixel 2 XL - bothboth g phones in many ways, with class leading cameras but both not without problems).

Please no one take offense, just my honest opinions from personal experience .

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,438 of 5,166
Hi I'm sorry to be contrary but I have owned and used both the lg v30 and the OnePlus 6 . Although the v30 clearly has the louder amp and quad DAC, I do most of my listening at low to moderate volumes through sensitive Iems (Shure se535 and se846) and I always found the v30 to have a bit of background noise during quiet passages of music. This led to me selling the phone, and I must say that the background of the OnePlus 6 is perfectly silent and I find the sound signature to be very neutral with a really good dynamic range. In addition, imho using the OnePlus 6 is an all round much better experience than the lg v30. Better quality oled screen and Fast and almost stock 8.1. major downside for me is no SD card slot. Had this phone since launch and seriously impressed so far.... It has overtaken the iPhone X as my daily driver for the time being (have also recently owned and returned the s9 plus and the pixel 2 XL - bothboth g phones in many ways, with class leading cameras but both not without problems).

I tried the OnePlus 6 for a few days and put it back in the box for now.

At first I felt the OnePlus 6 was missing something on the higher frequency range vs the V30 and WM1A. I didn't find a difference on the lower end vs. the V30.

There was really one thing that turned me off so far on the OnePlus 6 and it's the exchange email apps that are available. I tried a few different ones (blue mail, MS outlook) and it didn't match to the stock LG email app.

Screen: Oneplus 6 > V30 no doubt.

Can't believe I paid $550 for it, such a great deal.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,439 of 5,166

Can I ask why you returned the S9+ ? I am planning to buy one. I have good DAPs that will satisfy my audiophile needs, but sometimes I just dont want to carry a second device when Im on the go. So I want a smartphone with decent SQ and a 3.5mm jack, and a great camera. So I thought the S9+ would be ideal.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,440 of 5,166
Can I ask why you returned the S9+ ? I am planning to buy one. I have good DAPs that will satisfy my audiophile needs, but sometimes I just dont want to carry a second device when Im on the go. So I want a smartphone with decent SQ and a 3.5mm jack, and a great camera. So I thought the S9+ would be ideal.
Hi there
I think the s9 plus is a terrific phone, and I have no doubt you'll be very happy with it if you buy it. I think it has the best screen of any phone currently available, is great having expandable storage and the battery life was very good in my experience . For me the problems with it are:
1. In still not a fan of Samsung experience Android skin . It's much better than it used to be but still comes stuffed with unnecessary duplicate Samsung apps, some of which can't be deleted. Additionally it is on Android 8.0 and historically Samsung are slow to update .
2. The camera is good in manual mode but is not always reliable on auto particularly in tricky lighting situations where the pixel 2 pretty much nails it every time. The front facing camera is very poor though-i think it's the same one that they had on the s8. Selfies are rubbish .
3. The headphone jack is very welcome, but again, using sensitive iem I could hear a lot of background noise and digital artefacts during quiet bits of music (I listen to a lot of classical music where this is a real problem,). The only phones I have heard recently with completely black background are the iPhone X and the OnePlus 6.

Having said all that, I did really like the s9 and was tempted to keep it, but in the UK it is also more than £300 more expensive than the 128gb OnePlus 6. The OP6 gives me 90% of the features and the things it lacks (higher Res screen, wireless charging, optical zoom lens) I am happy to sacrifice . The main thing I miss is the expandable storage, but having been an iPhone user for many years, I can live with that, especially as it comes in a 256gb variant .

Hope that's helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back