Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,836 of 5,166
V40 and V series question. I've googled, but what are your opinions (or facts) about the filter settings (short/sharp/slow)?

I DO hear a difference, but I'm not sure which one is the most accurate. I like a non-eq sound, and it makes me nuts to have these options and not really understand what they are doing. Wish there was a 'none' option.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,837 of 5,166
It doesn't matter which one is the most accurate. :wink:
Which one sounds best for you is the real deal, imo.

For me, sharp is the way to go.
But the headphone you're listen with, the music and your mood dictates the right sounding. :L3000:

Enjoy your listening experience. :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,838 of 5,166
It doesn't matter which one is the most accurate. :wink:
Which one sounds best for you is the real deal, imo.

For me, sharp is the way to go.
But the headphone you're listen with, the music and your mood dictates the right sounding. :L3000:

Enjoy your listening experience. :)

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm looking for an explanation of WHY they exist in the first place. I don't understand why the option is there at all, since, to me, shutting OFF all of the extras is best.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,839 of 5,166
I know you.
It's like setting my R28 to the different modes like OS or NOS.

For some genres, i do prefer NOS the most couz of the naturell, fluid sounding.
For classical, i prefer OS Mode 8, means detail retrieval. Same for metal.

Don't get me wrong, i like non-eq settings too. But for me, digital filters are a different story.
I'm with you with your question why there isn't a "clean" setting. :wink:

Maybe you can find your answer in the sound science forum better. :beerchug:
It's worth a look.

Enjoy your day.

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #2,841 of 5,166
You are close to.
All Quad-Dac LG's got that set of digital filters.
But there's no full customisable eq, just a bunch of selectable presets.
No eq or filter is spoiling the signal, but all can.
It depends on the amount of use.
Handle with care, you could dare. :beyersmile:

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #2,843 of 5,166
  1. Spotify support Hi-Fi but not DSD (it doen't have DSD format in spotify app anyway)
  2. DSD mode is technically "shutting down proc/asound" so it lets music pass through solely hardware decoding ensuring bit perfect and not changing format (No DSD to PCM) so it implements for DSD playback with vivo's stock music app and
  3. Additionally, Neutron (with Hi-Res codec and Follow Frequency activated) can use DSD mode for both PCM and DSD playback with pure hardware decoding
  4. Now you might wonder what is Hi-Fi mode. Hi-Fi mode is still considered as bit perfect but.. the music pass thru software decoding so it is like adding spice into a soup. nothing is wrong with either modes, just difference of essence. Both modes utilize sabre dac and amp.
  5. smoothness and musicality for xplay6 is also outstanding. Please rest assured.
  6. DAP for vocal... Have you try opus DAP yet? I think it is quite suitable for your need.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I've been doing some research and may end up with a Vivo Nex S as my next phone. Are DSD and HiFi modes the same for the NEX S? I presume my own audio files saved locally will play back bitperfect in the stock music app? And related to Spotify, will HiFi mode be bitperfect and bypass Android audio layer converting to 48kHz or simply playback via the good (CS43199) output? Thanks for your help.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,844 of 5,166
so v40 and v50 have digital filters plus customizable digital equalizer, right?

Correct...starting with the V40, a full array of audio enhancements are available--including equalizer (with manual setting) and DTS-X expander. FYI...the V35 offers everything *except* for the custom EQ, while the V30 and back offer NO equalization or expanders. In a way i prefer that for bitperfect mode, but the sound is noticeably richer from the Meridian-tuned V40 on...

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,845 of 5,166
Thank you for clarifying this.
Seems to be my fault, while i stick with the V30 till it will break. :)

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #2,846 of 5,166
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I've been doing some research and may end up with a Vivo Nex S as my next phone. Are DSD and HiFi modes the same for the NEX S? I presume my own audio files saved locally will play back bitperfect in the stock music app? And related to Spotify, will HiFi mode be bitperfect and bypass Android audio layer converting to 48kHz or simply playback via the good (CS43199) output? Thanks for your help.

You can tick both DSD and hifi.

Hifi will make bit perfect.

DSD will process native dsd for dsd file.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #2,848 of 5,166
Thanks for the info. I have no DSD audio, only AAC, FLAC, and Spotify premium so I should be good with just the HiFi toggle.

You should try some DSD in Nex S. You will surely experience another level of listening.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #2,849 of 5,166
Hello guys.My second post in this great forum just to say that my vivo Nex(1805) has the cs 43130 inside,not the cs 43199 as i read in the sheet.I know that soomal review reports the same thing but i suspect there is a misunderstanding or my vivo 1805 isn't the Nex s(but I don't think so).Sorry for my unlikely english.:ksc75smile:

Does anyone have anymore insight on this? I haven't found any definitive info online. I've been scrounging YouTube unboxing videos and I've seen on the back of some packaging "Model 1805" and "Model 1879" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I am in the market but want to purchase the correct device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back