Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #931 of 5,166
Because I’m mainly using earbuds of low impendance/high sensitivity I think the V20 isn’t really suitable as getting the benefit of high impendance mode may affect the earbuds because of the high gain being too much power?

Not sure about the science behind it. I’m using only dynamic driver earbuds (not IEM’s) but I’ll probably want to use it with a headphone too down the line but for now getting a phone to suit my earbuds is my priority.

It would be nice if the LG v20 sounded as good in low impendance mode but sadly I found it lacking.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #932 of 5,166
I ordered the Axon 7 Mini, with the updated AK4962 DAC/amp. It should be here Monday. The chip is updated vs the full-sized Axon 7, with a reportedly somewhat higher output.
I'm looking forward to my first decent sounding phone. My first decent portable source since my Rockboxed Sansas all died...
The AK chip features auto impedance sensing, so it might match headphones with various ohm ratings better than one with just a high/low setting.
Not bad for about $130 at GearBest. I'll report back after using it for a while.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #934 of 5,166
Hi all,

so because of my own dumbness I kinda fried my headphone jack on my Meizu Pro 5. I tried to hook it up to a selfmade Boombox, but mixed up input and output when soldering. I think that because of a short voltage peak at the jack when turning the amplifier on something broke, and now I don't get any music through my headphones. Bluetooth Audio and the speaker in the phone still work, and it even detects when I plug in headphones, but I don't get any sound from it.

Long story short, I'm in search for a new phone. The best solution would be to get the same phone again, but I only found one shop wich sells it. During research I found another shop that had the Le Max 2 with 128GB pretty cheap and also in the EU, wich means I wouldn't need to pay any toll fees. But I am concerned how well the audio output of the LeEco is, despite it's lack of the headphone jack.
Has anybody experience with this phone? Is the music quality still great even through the USB-C to Headphone-Jack adapter? Or should I stay with the more expensive Pro 5?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #935 of 5,166
Hello at all , and sorry for my English
I want a buy a new Phone , Whit Android . I Need only have 6” or high display
I like pop music whit low bass and greath Middle and trebble
I have red dragonfly and senneisher hd600 and hifiman re400 water Line
I fissi possibile under 700 euro
Thx a lot

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #936 of 5,166
Hello at all , and sorry for my English
I want a buy a new Phone , Whit Android . I Need only have 6” or high display
I like pop music whit low bass and greath Middle and trebble
I have red dragonfly and senneisher hd600 and hifiman re400 water Line
I fissi possibile under 700 euro
Thx a lot

Vivo x20 plus

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #937 of 5,166
Hi all,

so because of my own dumbness I kinda fried my headphone jack on my Meizu Pro 5. I tried to hook it up to a selfmade Boombox, but mixed up input and output when soldering. I think that because of a short voltage peak at the jack when turning the amplifier on something broke, and now I don't get any music through my headphones. Bluetooth Audio and the speaker in the phone still work, and it even detects when I plug in headphones, but I don't get any sound from it.

Long story short, I'm in search for a new phone. The best solution would be to get the same phone again, but I only found one shop wich sells it. During research I found another shop that had the Le Max 2 with 128GB pretty cheap and also in the EU, wich means I wouldn't need to pay any toll fees. But I am concerned how well the audio output of the LeEco is, despite it's lack of the headphone jack.
Has anybody experience with this phone? Is the music quality still great even through the USB-C to Headphone-Jack adapter? Or should I stay with the more expensive Pro 5?

Thanks a lot!

Get same phone.

Jan 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #938 of 5,166
In people’s experience do any of these phones mentioned have a nice full mid range and vocals? I found the V20 to be really lacking choosing detail over lush sound signature and a natural full body to the vocals.

My iphone 6s had better body to it, but I’m looking for an upgrade on its soundstage and overall a more high end dac/amp for the small details and maybe extension. The tonality was good though, very natural and balanced.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #939 of 5,166
In people’s experience do any of these phones mentioned have a nice full mid range and vocals? I found the V20 to be really lacking choosing detail over lush sound signature and a natural full body to the vocals.

My iphone 6s had better body to it, but I’m looking for an upgrade on its soundstage and overall a more high end dac/amp for the small details and maybe extension. The tonality was good though, very natural and balanced.

Meizu Pro 5 is the best for vocal.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #941 of 5,166
I ordered the Axon 7 Mini, with the updated AK4962 DAC/amp. It should be here Monday. The chip is updated vs the full-sized Axon 7, with a reportedly somewhat higher output.
I'm looking forward to my first decent sounding phone. My first decent portable source since my Rockboxed Sansas all died...
The AK chip features auto impedance sensing, so it might match headphones with various ohm ratings better than one with just a high/low setting.
Not bad for about $130 at GearBest. I'll report back after using it for a while.

Please report back once you test the phone. Audio wise and how it is perform as a you know..smartphone. The $130 price tag is hard to resist.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #942 of 5,166
Please report back once you test the phone. Audio wise and how it is perform as a you know..smartphone. The $130 price tag is hard to resist.
The report may have to wait for a while, my wife dropped her ZTE in the toilet yesterday. Her sim will be put into the Mini until we replace her phone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back