Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #32 of 5,166
Does anyone can explain me how Quad DAC in LG V20 / G6 is functioning in details? I know it has a great sound but just wonder how each chip functions. Or is it just a trademark name?

By the way, I just notice that Onkyo granbeat price is dropping in Hong Kong to $640 or 5000 HKD. If you can find dealers there.

http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=250660

The V20 includes four ESS Sabre ES9218 digital-to-analog converters (DAC) in all its revisions.

However the G6 and apparently G6+ only have the sabre dac in some countries, else its just the qualcomm aqstic

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #35 of 5,166
liking the Lg G6+ with built in dac, but are there any official specs as to what DAC is in it? if so the g6+ will be my next upgrade!

From the phone arena specs:
the LG G6+ differs from the original flagship model only with its 128 GB of internal flash storage, and with a wireless charging feature (“in some countries”), which was previously available only in the US version of the smartphone, equipped with 64 GB storage. The new LG G6+ also comes with high quality earphones from B&O PLAY.

edit from lg news room:

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2017/06/l...ith-enhanced-features-and-new-plus-version-2/

The new LG G6+ features a generous 128GB of onboard storage and premium earphones from B&O PLAY to take full advantage of the 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC featured in the smartphone. Available in Optical Astro Black, Optical Marine Blue and Optical Terra Gold, the turbocharged LG G6+ comes with all the innovations of the LG G6 with the addition of wireless charging in some countries.*

http://social.lge.co.kr/newsroom/mc/lg_g6_0618/

LG also offers a B & O play bundle earphone to enjoy the premium sound provided by the Quad DAC. The B & O logo is also added on the back of the product.

So no, it appears its the same built in qualcomm aqstic

this is great. LG G6+ recently announced, early reports are same quad dac as korean version, but I haven't found specifics yet

See my self quote

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #36 of 5,166
Hello,

I am curious why the HTC 10 is not recommended. I know it says, ""Recommended" is based on my preference only." But I was just wondering if there was any specific reason for that preference. I thought it came pretty highly recommended and I just picked one up a week ago and have been pretty happy coming from a V10. Guess I am just wondering what it would lack in comparison to some of the "recommended" options.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #37 of 5,166
Hello,

I am curious why the HTC 10 is not recommended. I know it says, ""Recommended" is based on my preference only." But I was just wondering if there was any specific reason for that preference. I thought it came pretty highly recommended and I just picked one up a week ago and have been pretty happy coming from a V10. Guess I am just wondering what it would lack in comparison to some of the "recommended" options.

It doesnt match up well with my setup (1964 iem). For me it is too thick (yeah others will say it is syrupy. But it is just too warm for me)

It is like I love ifi micro idsd more than chord mojo. That's why.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #38 of 5,166
Hello,

Yep, good point. In fact there is a dedicated thread here regarding the sq of the HTC 10. @RockStar2005 has some great info. It's one of the best smart phones for audio. Have tried most of them. Then again it is part of the audio daisy chain re file types, genre, headphones and so on.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #39 of 5,166
Should i grab a meizu Mx4 pro if I ever found one just for music playback? How much it compare to current offerings. I listened to my friend axon 7 and really like the sound.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #40 of 5,166
I am not an audiophile but like music and refer this thread for guidance.
I could check Lenovo Vibe X3 against LG G6 (with Hi-fi enabled as shown by pop-up) .
Listened to mp3 using JAYS a jays five.
Vibe X3 seemed clearly better than G6.
Additional information - Earphones provided with G6 in India are of poor quality.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #41 of 5,166
I am not an audiophile but like music and refer this thread for guidance.
I could check Lenovo Vibe X3 against LG G6 (with Hi-fi enabled as shown by pop-up) .
Listened to mp3 using JAYS a jays five.
Vibe X3 seemed clearly better than G6.
Additional information - Earphones provided with G6 in India are of poor quality.
I think this is due to the fact that vibe x3 has a cold/analytical signature which throws all the details at your face. It is very hard to get that kind of signature these days because most manufacturer are shifting towards warm ie. consumer friendly signature.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #42 of 5,166
Should i grab a meizu Mx4 pro if I ever found one just for music playback? How much it compare to current offerings. I listened to my friend axon 7 and really like the sound.

It depends on your preference and your headset. If you have heard some so-called musical DAP like colorfly c4 or HM901, you will get ~70% of musicality, sweetness and warmth in MX4 PRO which hardly can be heard in ESS-based smartphone.

In short, you need to find your favorite sound that reference how you like. Then it is easier to scope down whether which smartphone's sound can represent your favorite's DAC/DAP tonality most so that you can enjoy the music to the fully extent.

Like In my case, chord hugo is my reference.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #43 of 5,166
Nice thread I would like to volunteer a few lesser known 'budget' phones. I myself own a Bluboo Maya Max that I paid only $99 for several months ago, it comes with a NXP dac which to me it sounds amazing I am actually still astounded I brought a phone with such amazing specs for such a low price lol. The Ulefone Vienna a more high end phone also comes with this dac and has generally favorable audio reviews. There were several other Chinese smartphones that also comes with a NXP dac however I can no longer remember what they were. I can't really describe the technical aspects of NXP dacs as I'm not as good with these matters as some of you guys all I know is that my phone has a NXP dac and it makes music sound good to my ears but I'll leave a bit of info which may help just thought it would be worth the consideration. :beyersmile:

http://www.nxp.com/products/media-a...udio-amplifiers-for-portable-devices:MC_71426

nzp.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #44 of 5,166
Big Announcement for vivo fan

1) Vivo will give Nougat update during end of Jul till mid of Aug. If you own devices: X7, X7 Plus, X9, X9 Plus , Xplay5A, Xplay 5s , Xplay6
Source: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5186613764

48d970310a55b319cf8169cd49a98226cffc172c.jpg

36d2ae86c9177f3e826317b57acf3bc79e3d56ca.jpg

2) Vivo announce to launch X9s and X9s Plus for some reasons on 7th of Jul 17. Stay tuned for Audio Spec.
Source: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5185259024

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #45 of 5,166
Big Announcement for vivo fan

1) Vivo will give Nougat update during end of Jul till mid of Aug. If you own devices: X7, X7 Plus, X9, X9 Plus , Xplay5A, Xplay 5s , Xplay6

But they totally ignored VIVO X6 users - though this phone is not old. They even did not bothered to upgrade it to Android 6 or at least to add external apps to Hi-Fi mode-supporting list... So moodily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back