Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #4,786 of 5,166
I already have the WF1000 XM3 here but decided to get the XM4
Mostly I'm late to the party
Now let's see what these will whisper in my ears ... 🤔
IMG20220906184023-01.jpeg

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #4,789 of 5,166
I must say though I mostly use wired IEMs the XM4 surprised me how good it is. LDAC sound quality then apply (either by way of wavelet or poweramp eq) this neutral eq (AutoEQ) and all is surprisingly good.
Yip. I can verify that my Sony WH1000XM3s are pretty good when connected via LDAC. I have wired IEMs and headphones and decent devices such as the LG V30 and V40. The XM3s are very good.

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,790 of 5,166
I left my beloved LG V10 in a local service centre. Those spare parts are dirt cheap on AliExpress. A few dollars for camera lens or 3.5mm jack...I bought so many batteries and lost sleep comparing them. My G7 Thinq sits at home. While its clarity and transparent sound shine...I still prefer the analague, warmer sound of V10 with better bass. I cannot believe that a phone with poor battery life taught me to use my phone less and less, to live minimalistic. I wanted to do this for years, and I could not achieve it until now. So many hours daily on a phone...this is definitely wrong, I said to myself...I need to get a life and spend my time to be more productive. Nothing beats are powerful PC for all the info, browsing and gaming.
And I am lucky to have 2 brand new HTC 10 phones. A strange bug...after updating to Android 8 on them, the brightness slider works only from 50 to 100%. No difference from 50 to 0%. I made a personal profile for CCA C12, intentionally "cheating" when hearing the frequencies, I gave more slack to the lows. Suprise suprise, while behind the V10, especially in the highs, the sound is jaw-droppingly enjoyable, with the HD 599 SE as well. The better screen too, especially reading on a white background. Kudos to GSMARENA for their review, where they advised to choose SRGB profile with two notches towards WARM for the display. I visited local shops and tried so many AMOLED crappy screens, it is really enjoyable to laugh with full lungs at the 4-digit prices for PWM junks. And yes, both LG V10 and HTC 10 recognize a Sandisk 400GB mSDXC (the HTC needed a few inserts and restarts). Those DSF files are unforgiving, when it comes to space...
Focal Listen Pro and HD 599 SE were used to compare sound between HTC 10, LG V10 and the USB dongle Xduoo Link2 Bal, known for its analogue timbre. I actually prefer the phones, especially in the lower frequencies. Maybe with better headphones this will be different. The dongle is neutral...and very unique at the same time. It processes detail and separation unlike anything I ever heard, the sound is so different...in a good way. While the ESS in V10 is known for the detailed highs, the Xduoo at first sounds as if it lags behind...but not. When listening to Russian folk songs with bagpipes, violins and extremely high-pitched whistles, the Xduoo is a joy to listen to, unlike HTC 10. I cannot compare it to the V10. Very, very different highs, at first one wonders if the song has changed, or the headphones changed...I kid you not.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #4,791 of 5,166
I left my beloved LG V10 in a local service centre. Those spare parts are dirt cheap on AliExpress. A few dollars for camera lens or 3.5mm jack...I bought so many batteries and lost sleep comparing them. My G7 Thinq sits at home. While its clarity and transparent sound shine...I still prefer the analague, warmer sound of V10 with better bass. I cannot believe that a phone with poor battery life taught me to use my phone less and less, to live minimalistic. I wanted to do this for years, and I could not achieve it until now. So many hours daily on a phone...this is definitely wrong, I said to myself...I need to get a life and spend my time to be more productive. Nothing beats are powerful PC for all the info, browsing and gaming.
And I am lucky to have 2 brand new HTC 10 phones. A strange bug...after updating to Android 8 on them, the brightness slider works only from 50 to 100%. No difference from 50 to 0%. I made a personal profile for CCA C12, intentionally "cheating" when hearing the frequencies, I gave more slack to the lows. Suprise suprise, while behind the V10, especially in the highs, the sound is jaw-droppingly enjoyable, with the HD 599 SE as well. The better screen too, especially reading on a white background. Kudos to GSMARENA for their review, where they advised to choose SRGB profile with two notches towards WARM for the display. I visited local shops and tried so many AMOLED crappy screens, it is really enjoyable to laugh with full lungs at the 4-digit prices for PWM junks. And yes, both LG V10 and HTC 10 recognize a Sandisk 400GB mSDXC (the HTC needed a few inserts and restarts). Those DSF files are unforgiving, when it comes to space...
Focal Listen Pro and HD 599 SE were used to compare sound between HTC 10, LG V10 and the USB dongle Xduoo Link2 Bal, known for its analogue timbre. I actually prefer the phones, especially in the lower frequencies. Maybe with better headphones this will be different. The dongle is neutral...and very unique at the same time. It processes detail and separation unlike anything I ever heard, the sound is so different...in a good way. While the ESS in V10 is known for the detailed highs, the Xduoo at first sounds as if it lags behind...but not. When listening to Russian folk songs with bagpipes, violins and extremely high-pitched whistles, the Xduoo is a joy to listen to, unlike HTC 10. I cannot compare it to the V10. Very, very different highs, at first one wonders if the song has changed, or the headphones changed...I kid you not.

If you like Listen Pro , try Hidizs S9 Pro :v:

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #4,792 of 5,166
If you like Listen Pro , try Hidizs S9 Pro :v:

Yes yes yes! I have the S9 Pro and the Audioquest Jitterbug denoising filter and it's an amazing dongle DAC-Amp for the price. I don't really yet have an IEM or over-ears in my collection that needs that much power, but maybe it'll be nice when I upgrade from my Samson SR850s to the Altiat Cal.1H

My only issue is it drains my V50's battery 50% faster so I'm looking at either the Xperia 10 IV (currently $300 slightly used on eBay) or the Galaxy M51 (a bit hard to find, but eBay listing alerts help; also in the $250-$300 range) since both have the battery capacity and energy efficiency to last 50% longer than any other Android phone on the market -- yes even the ROG Phones since they have flagship SoCs that are power hogs.

Neither have an integrated dedicated DAC, but that's not a deal breaker since I'm using dongles like the S9 Pro (the Fiio KA5 is almost identical I think but comes with a 4.4mm balanced instead of a 2.5 balanced output) and Cayin RU6 (most compact and affordable analog DAC). I do wonder if the 5000mAh battery on the 10 IV will be a disadvantage long-term against the 7000mAh of the M51 since a 10% degradation after several years would mean 4500mAh vs 6300mAh remaining respectively especially when taking into consideration the extra watt of power draw from the dongle DAC-Amp.

Or maybe it doesn't make a practical difference since the average system power draw is 1-watt more* on the Galaxy M52 is (30%+ more @ 3.15W vs 4.15W) given that the Xperia 10 IV essentially compensates for 30% less battery capacity with with 30% less power draw.

Here is the power draw measurements by Notebookcheck:

Screenshot_2022-09-24-04-44-11-30_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-24-04-43-13-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

*or over 50-60% more than the Xperia IV "at load" with the dongle DAC plugged in at 3.54-5.61W vs 5.8-8W

P.S. Ebay auction tip: Can't beat em'? Make them pay.......within your budget of course. xD

IMG_20220925_172548.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #4,793 of 5,166
Please, be warned that V50, 10 IV and M51 all have low-frequency PWM. Disgusting...on the eyestrain forum, there was a sticky post that said all PWM creators must be put in jail. Some people damaged their eyesight and gave $ 15k to doctors, without a cure...I recommend OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5G. No PWM, 5 Ah battery, and a surprisingly good IPS (even for a pro photographed). I was able to closely examine the screen. Since it is dirt cheap when I sign a contract, about $ 160, I am hesitant, especially when I know about the power chip problems in Poco M3/ Redmi 9. If you want good eyesight, NEVER get a LED screen. All the BS they say about how superior it is to LCD, is just outrageous lie ($$$$$$$$$$$$). In many cases, this is exactly the opposite, which is hard to explain to non-professionals. If you insist on Samsung, the A02, according to Notebookcheck, has no PWM. Meanwhile, I scavenged 4 more batteries for my V10, the Sporting 11Ah being the latest one. If anyone is interested, I will post results. Somebody recommended the TQTHL (yellow with black), and it is indeed perfect, around 3.4 Ah in Accubattery pro. I know there is a way to properly test it with external equipment, but it would not simulate real world usage and results, like Accubattery pro in the phone.
Meanwhile, can anyone compare the sound between LG V20 and G7? The latter is quite dynamic, fast and engaging, but still too digital and lean for my test, so I rely on my meaty, more analogue sounding and bassy V10.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #4,794 of 5,166
Hi guys

I havent red the whole topic and it seems really interesting !
But if you could give me an advice Id appreciate ; -)
I made reviews of westone w50 and x50pro but today im wondering about the need or not to change of phone
My used iPhone just died (as fast as those that my wife had and as my previous 300e phones did) and I Dont want to spend 1500€ just because this brand is hype and no sd card possibility and because if I can avoid this brand ill do.. !
So I put my exceptionnal dragonfly cobalt on my unbreakable lg v30 but despite updates it bugs the dac, with a cracking buzzing sound, the famous Android usb audio bug.
The v30 has a good sound, but much less than the cobalt, but also less fatiguing in opposition.

So, would you go for a new expensive audiophile phone with jack (v60 ? ) or a cheaper Android phone and "bet" and hope that it will work fine with the cobalt ?!

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #4,795 of 5,166
Hi guys

I havent red the whole topic and it seems really interesting !
But if you could give me an advice Id appreciate ; -)
I made reviews of westone w50 and x50pro but today im wondering about the need or not to change of phone
My used iPhone just died (as fast as those that my wife had and as my previous 300e phones did) and I Dont want to spend 1500€ just because this brand is hype and no sd card possibility and because if I can avoid this brand ill do.. !
So I put my exceptionnal dragonfly cobalt on my unbreakable lg v30 but despite updates it bugs the dac, with a cracking buzzing sound, the famous Android usb audio bug.
The v30 has a good sound, but much less than the cobalt, but also less fatiguing in opposition.

So, would you go for a new expensive audiophile phone with jack (v60 ? ) or a cheaper Android phone and "bet" and hope that it will work fine with the cobalt ?!
By buzzing, do you mean EMI noise?

If you are not satisfied with the performance of V30 and don't like carrying external DACs then getting a used LG G8x, LG V50 or LG V60 would be the best option. Sound quality will be better than V30 but the improvement won't be that big.

Phones like LG, ROG Phone are better than cheap dongle DACs or budget DAPs but IMO can't compete with portable DACs worth 180€ or more.

I have/had RU6, BTR7, Sparrow, Hip-DAC...and a few more expensive DACs all of which sound better than my LG G7, G8x & V60.

So If you are satisfied with the performence of V30 and find Cobalt fatiguing then sell the Cobalt and get something else. I briefly listened to the Dragonfly sometime back and thought it sounded thin and bright. There are other good alternatives like BTR7, RU6, HIP-DAC2...

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #4,796 of 5,166
Thanks john for taking time
Yes I totally agree with you about cobalt but so good even at low levels for "cleaning and unveiling" poor produced music and give a wonderfull punch dynamic and definition. !
V30 is softer but more "boring"

Such a dilemna...
With what you said and red here not sure a high end phone will be enough ...
I m so satisfied with it and with what you say that I think I will keep it and just buy a midrange phone... and hope that works.
I should try other recent Android phones to test it before bying a new one
I ll keep you aware

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #4,797 of 5,166
Thanks john for taking time
Yes I totally agree with you about cobalt but so good even at low levels.. !
Such a dilemna...
I m so satisfied with it and with what you say that I think I will keep it and just buy a midrange phone... and hope that works.
I should try other recent Android phones to test it
I forgot to ask again, what was the problem you had with V30 & Cobalt? Buzzing or disconnects? I have a Motorola Moto X Force lying around which is a very old phone and tried connecting some of my DACs, no issues with it so I doubt it's a softwear problem.

Have you tried different USB Cables? and tested to make sure the V30's USB port is fine?

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,798 of 5,166
I forgot to ask again, what was the problem you had with V30 & Cobalt? Buzzing or disconnects? I have a Motorola Moto X Force lying around which is a very old phone and tried connecting some of my DACs, no issues with it so I doubt it's a softwear problem.

Have you tried different USB Cables? and tested to make sure the V30's USB port is fine?
My english is poor I ll try
Tried only with the dragontail I bought this week, the v30 is updated to the last oreo software.
I dont suspect connector problem
I just changed its battery with a no name one in a quite "home made artisanal way" but it runs flawlessly
No disconnection problem, just "cracking" gently and getting buzzy and inaudible (some kind of electronic noise bug) quickly whatever the app
No problem with my father's cheap crosscall (Android 11)

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #4,799 of 5,166
My english is poor I ll try
Tried only with the dragontail I bought this week, the v30 is updated to the last oreo software.
I dont suspect connector problem
I just changed its battery with a no name one in a quite "home made artisanal way" but it runs flawlessly
No disconnection problem, just "cracking" gently and getting buzzy and inaudible (some kind of electronic noise bug) quickly whatever the app
No problem with my father's cheap crosscall (Android 11)
Use the phone in Airplane mode and see if you still get this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back