Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #4,531 of 5,166
I am using the Sony Xperia 5 III since October '21 and I'm very pleased with it. Battery is great, phone is quick and responsive and the camera is good. Most relevant for this forum: The sound is good. This includes standard commuting blue tooth (LDAC) connection with Sony WHs or WFs but also wired connection with HD files, including DSD, using the Sony Music app. But also, and this is important to me, with UAPP. To my ears, the UAPP DSD output quality is identical to the Sony Music app quality which seems a confirmation that UAPP's "Hires direct driver" does the trick for the mark III too.

I do have DAPs and dongles but leaving them at home and, instead using the phone for some quality listening with wired IEMs, is a good experience. Moreover, I can't complain about hissing with sensitive IEMs - I don't hear any. And finally adding a small amp leaves me with nothing to desire on the go.

To me, the fact that the X 5 III has a jack was only prio #4 - after #1 form factor, #2 battery and #3 camera. But I'm really happy with its sound, listening to it right now. :)

Before I forget: My one complaint would be that its blue tooth seems less reliable than e.g. Samsung's or Apple's. Not a disaster but in crowded areas a quick 1s disconnect can happen sometimes. (Of course it could be my setup and not the phone. I yet have to find out)
Sony only forgot the wireless charge, I don't know why

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #4,533 of 5,166
Sony only forgot the wireless charge, I don't know why
Oh yeah - I totally agree. That's a bummer. At the beginning, I didn't know whether I could deal with that. But it's easy now. I only need to charge once a day and I then connect it to their charger which is lightning fast. Still a cable mess but no deal breaker any more.

On the other hand I forgot one more _main_ advantage: the SD slot! I have quite some HD FLAC & DSD files with me, should need occur... :)

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #4,534 of 5,166
Oh yeah - I totally agree. That's a bummer. At the beginning, I didn't know whether I could deal with that. But it's easy now. I only need to charge once a day and I then connect it to their charger which is lightning fast. Still a cable mess but no deal breaker any more.

On the other hand I forgot one more _main_ advantage: the SD slot! I have quite some HD FLAC & DSD files with me, should need occur... :)
My need for wireless are for my car. I'll connect it via Android Auto which drain my battery and I won't any cable in. Agree with you about sd slot!

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #4,536 of 5,166
Question for other ROG Phone 5 users: Does the Aeroactive Cooler's headphone jack gain access to the Sabre Dac inside the phone?

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #4,537 of 5,166
So far I am really enjoying jump from Leetv to G7, phone works better and the difference is clear as night and day.
However as far as sound quality goes, I would say it's a very very small step down for me, it's slightly different, more 'plastic' I would say, less serious. I'd guess it would go well with overanalytical headphones (might pair g7 with phonak audeo if I find any filters for them).
Beware the current TIDAL bug that prevents from using HiFi mode of LG's quad dacs. The only soulution I've found is to install some older version of tidal app.
I'm still not sure about firmware filters for the DAC. Would love to read something about them.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #4,538 of 5,166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back