Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,381 of 5,166
RIght now I have the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra which has a very nice camera but looking at adding a LG V60 to my outfit with the dual screen case so that I can chillax to some kickass music.
Thats what I am doing now...just finished up some work and now sitting here with wine in one hand and V60 with music on one screen, head-fi on the other, even though I am in a TWS mood today (aptX adaptive to B&W PI7s). Yesterday was wired to SE846. Only thing is this phone is huge and heavy with the dual screen case.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,382 of 5,166
Just ordered an Earmen TR-Amp to use at home with my dying V30 or MacBook Pro to drive my HD800S and Aeon Flow Opens. Can't wait to see what happens! Going to order Sony Xperia 5 iii when available for the smaller form factor, better price, and better battery life compared to the Xperia 1 iii. Don't think I'll miss the 4k screen on a small device. This should drive my SE846s nicely. Just need patience now.

Oct 4, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #4,383 of 5,166
Anyone still using an S9 or S9+?

I owned multiple LG phones as well as DAPs. I still prefer my S9+ over all of them. It sounds warmer than most LG phones and has a really beautiful sound. In addition to that it has speakers that are 10 leagues ahead of the LG speakers.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,384 of 5,166
Anyone still using an S9 or S9+?

I owned multiple LG phones as well as DAPs. I still prefer my S9+ over all of them. It sounds warmer than most LG phones and has a really beautiful sound. In addition to that it has speakers that are 10 leagues ahead of the LG speakers.
If you'll ever be in the need to upgrade your phone, the Xperia 1 MK3 is a truly contender.

Sound is warmer, read more pleasant, than the LG's, and the speakers are from another world, compared to. :)

Oh, and the cam is, tsss, no words about. ^^

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,385 of 5,166
If you'll ever be in the need to upgrade your phone, the Xperia 1 MK3 is a truly contender.

Sound is warmer, read more pleasant, than the LG's, and the speakers are from another world, compared to. :)

Oh, and the cam is, tsss, no words about. ^^
Man I wanted to like the xperia 1 ii I really did, because i love every concept the phone is based on, and photo pro, man its good...But that screen and form factor made general use a joke compared to iPhone. Is the mk iii any different? Have they improved colours and contrast, and does the form factor still squash content into oblivion? Also I found the jack very underpowered, side by side a lightning dongle was about 30% more powerful. I couldnt drive over ears at all with the xperia 1ii, even portables like the P7/P5.

1629366940736.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #4,386 of 5,166
Man I wanted to like the xperia 1 ii I really did, because i love every concept the phone is based on, and photo pro, man its good...But that screen and form factor made general use a joke compared to iPhone. Is the mk iii any different? Have they improved colours and contrast, and does the form factor still squash content into oblivion? Also I found the jack very underpowered, side by side a lightning dongle was about 30% more powerful. I couldnt drive over ears at all with the xperia 1ii, even portables like the P7/P5.

1629366940736.jpeg
I have seen a hack to take the limit off the headphone jack on XDA developers. It should equal the dongle then.

Also, while I cannot say from a direct comparison myself, the Sony is repeatedly reported to be more accurate in colours than almost any other phone, both on the screen and camera. I think people have become accostomed to the larger than life saturated colours of many phones, the way many have become accoustomed to exaggerated bass in headphones since Beats have ruined perceptions. Find the creator image mode in teh display settings and take another cearful look?

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,387 of 5,166

1629366940736.jpeg
Well, when it comes to screen ratio and colours, the MK3 is still like the 2, I guess.

But i'm in the same boat as @jagwap .

The presentation of the MK3 is the most neutral/ natural I've seen on any smartphone i'd the opportunity to look at.

If you've a sense for how real colours have to look like, then you're opinion may change, I guess. :wink:
No offense to other presentations, but I don't like overcooked colours and/ or settings in regard to contrast/ lighting etc.

But that is behold to the eye of the viewer, i think. :)

The jack is very capable for my iems, while for my headphones i'll use the BTR5 or Mojo all the way.
This could change when make the leap to the FD7 (50 ohm), we'll see.
It is indeed not that powerful for my SEM5 or Era-1, ether. But these headphones aren't in my rotation when i'm out of home.
So for me and my use case, the Xperia 1 iii hit the nail. :wink:

Here are 2 examples of pictures taken with different smartphones. ( Beware of the different lighting situations )
One is taken by a good friend (who is a detailer too) and one by myself.
Guess which one is the Xperia? :wink:

sketch-1633679431263.png

sketch-1633679512027.png

Oct 8, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #4,388 of 5,166
I have seen a hack to take the limit off the headphone jack on XDA developers. It should equal the dongle then.

Also, while I cannot say from a direct comparison myself, the Sony is repeatedly reported to be more accurate in colours than almost any other phone, both on the screen and camera. I think people have become accostomed to the larger than life saturated colours of many phones, the way many have become accoustomed to exaggerated bass in headphones since Beats have ruined perceptions. Find the creator image mode in teh display settings and take another cearful look?
The colours are 100% worse on the xperia, even with creator mode on. The panel is washed out, heck, maybe i got a bad panel. Edit: My mistake, its not the panel, ive had two xperia 1 iis now as one was replaced under warranty, same washed out palette

I did side by side comparisons, taking shots of objects in real life, and looking at the image on both the iPhone and Xperia. 9/10 tomes the iphone had colours closer to the object in front of me, xperia was washed out. Was very obvious.

But without the iPhone comparison I thought my xperia was great lol. It was only with my gfs XS Max beside it that the truth came out…plus that aspect ratio destroys content.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,390 of 5,166

You have nailed it with this comment. Mass sound perception is bassy = good and that's because how many brands are churning out their products. Same goes for camera as well. Most folks don't care about how the product sounds as long as it has bass to drown everything.

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #4,391 of 5,166
I'm in a similar situation as ron92. Upgrading from my LG to a new phone but don't know where to go now that LG is done with phones. I had considered the Xperia 1 iii but with how many different issues i've read about it and the fact that it seems it's rarely in stock, I'm not sure anymore.

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #4,392 of 5,166
I have spent a couple of months looking for a new phone to replace my current one: LG G8. It's 2.5 years old and its fingerprint sensor packed up, and I fancy a new gadet. The camera is good, but it lacks a few nice widets like a good night mode and the portrait mode is early tech and is not suitable for important photos.

I am using H95 BT headphones most of the time, but as an audio nut, I would really like to have a good headphone socket.
Given the size of my lossless music collection, and I also have a fair sized amount of podcasts, radio, photos and tv on the phone, 512GB is really pushing it , and ideally I want a Micro SD expansion.
OLED is a strong like for me.
Android only.
I prefer no camera bump like my G8
I do not want a huge phone.

I toyed with folding screen models, as the Huawei Mate X2 is glorious, and can take a Nano memory card. It makes the Samsung Fold look like an unergonomic toy, and opens esentially flat. The camera is nearly as good as the P50, meaning state of the art for phones. But it is big even when folded, and the internal screen is far from scratch resistant (many of the demo units I've seen have marks on them.) There is no headphone socket and google does not run normally because of a hissy fit from a previous US administration. Also not exactly cheap.

Xiaomi 11 Ultra and Mix4 and lack headphones and expandable memory, but the cameras are great. Also the ceramic body is a temptation. I have a watch in this material, and it looks like new despite a 25kM/h smash into tarmac, so it keeps shiney. But these things are a bit of a distraction to an audiophile. Also they are a bit big.

Then there is the new Xperia Mkiii units. The 1 is a bit long, and I am liking the xperia 5 MkII size, if a bit narrow for typing, so I was going to wait for the Mkiii to surface and check it out. However the headphone out will not power some of my headphones without hacking it to remove the voltage limit imposed to pass EU safety. The screens are georgious, and not washed out as stated above. The cameras really appeal to me as an SLR user, as the UI is fantastic, if you delve. Results are good, even with only 12MP sensors, despite the those who want to burn out their retinas with overblown colour. People appear to have got used to silly levels of saturation on competitors.

Vivo X70 Pro Plus is a really nice bit of kit. Super fast, but maxes out at 512GB, and no headphone socket, but really leads everone on camera tech, including Huawei and Xiaomi. Available in a fun Orange.

Then in all my research, I found out that my G8 has it's default settings at 1080 resolution, despite the hardware being 1440. As the 2.5 year old battery easily lasts more than a day, I decided to switch this to 1440, and it looks like a new phone. Another search found that it is indeed a software issue that broke the fingerprint sensor, so that works again. So I started looking at technical details on the camera, and found a bunch of manual features I didn't know it had. I am getting some much improved results. The G8 is functionally the same as V60 which is really versatile, and only lacks the extra resolution of the main sensor (because I have the 3 camera version from Korea). Finally despite LG pulling out of phones, I have just received an Android 11 update!

So, I'm sticking with the G8 for a bit, as it feels like a new phone. It is a fine phone, with a better than average camera for its age, great form factor and an ASTOUNDING headphone output.

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #4,393 of 5,166
I have spent a couple of months looking for a new phone to replace my current one: LG G8. It's 2.5 years old and its fingerprint sensor packed up, and I fancy a new gadet. The camera is good, but it lacks a few nice widets like a good night mode and the portrait mode is early tech and is not suitable for important photos.

I am using H95 BT headphones most of the time, but as an audio nut, I would really like to have a good headphone socket.
Given the size of my lossless music collection, and I also have a fair sized amount of podcasts, radio, photos and tv on the phone, 512GB is really pushing it , and ideally I want a Micro SD expansion.
OLED is a strong like for me.
Android only.
I prefer no camera bump like my G8
I do not want a huge phone.

I toyed with folding screen models, as the Huawei Mate X2 is glorious, and can take a Nano memory card. It makes the Samsung Fold look like an unergonomic toy, and opens esentially flat. The camera is nearly as good as the P50, meaning state of the art for phones. But it is big even when folded, and the internal screen is far from scratch resistant (many of the demo units I've seen have marks on them.) There is no headphone socket and google does not run normally because of a hissy fit from a previous US administration. Also not exactly cheap.

Xiaomi 11 Ultra and Mix4 and lack headphones and expandable memory, but the cameras are great. Also the ceramic body is a temptation. I have a watch in this material, and it looks like new despite a 25kM/h smash into tarmac, so it keeps shiney. But these things are a bit of a distraction to an audiophile. Also they are a bit big.

Then there is the new Xperia Mkiii units. The 1 is a bit long, and I am liking the xperia 5 MkII size, if a bit narrow for typing, so I was going to wait for the Mkiii to surface and check it out. However the headphone out will not power some of my headphones without hacking it to remove the voltage limit imposed to pass EU safety. The screens are georgious, and not washed out as stated above. The cameras really appeal to me as an SLR user, as the UI is fantastic, if you delve. Results are good, even with only 12MP sensors, despite the those who want to burn out their retinas with overblown colour. People appear to have got used to silly levels of saturation on competitors.

Vivo X70 Pro Plus is a really nice bit of kit. Super fast, but maxes out at 512GB, and no headphone socket, but really leads everone on camera tech, including Huawei and Xiaomi. Available in a fun Orange.

Then in all my research, I found out that my G8 has it's default settings at 1080 resolution, despite the hardware being 1440. As the 2.5 year old battery easily lasts more than a day, I decided to switch this to 1440, and it looks like a new phone. Another search found that it is indeed a software issue that broke the fingerprint sensor, so that works again. So I started looking at technical details on the camera, and found a bunch of manual features I didn't know it had. I am getting some much improved results. The G8 is functionally the same as V60 which is really versatile, and only lacks the extra resolution of the main sensor (because I have the 3 camera version from Korea). Finally despite LG pulling out of phones, I have just received an Android 11 update!

So, I'm sticking with the G8 for a bit, as it feels like a new phone. It is a fine phone, with a better than average camera for its age, great form factor and an ASTOUNDING headphone output.
I like the V60 but my battery barely lasts 12 hours. Also wish it had a dual SIM (didnt realize T-Mobile crippled it). Likely wait until Black Friday to see if Google discounts the Pixel 6 but I am leaning toward picking one of those up to replace my OnePlus 8T and using my V60 primarily as a DAP (mostly due to poor battery life).

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #4,394 of 5,166
I like the V60 but my battery barely lasts 12 hours. Also wish it had a dual SIM (didnt realize T-Mobile crippled it). Likely wait until Black Friday to see if Google discounts the Pixel 6 but I am leaning toward picking one of those up to replace my OnePlus 8T and using my V60 primarily as a DAP (mostly due to poor battery life).
Battery saver mode really helps my G8. Lots of option as to how much you need to save, and which apps to keep open.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #4,395 of 5,166
Battery saver mode really helps my G8. Lots of option as to how much you need to save, and which apps to keep open.
I am sure it helps a lot but not really an option for me. I have deleted all apps that I dont need (including all the Google apps that were the #1 battery draining apps on my phone) and dont use social media. Just really use this for music, work emails, apps and calls, and web browsing (headfi and other forums). Really like the phone otherwise so that is why I am thinking of using just as a dedicated DAP and getting something else. Actually used to have fantastic battery life until Android 11 came along (or sometime after that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back