Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #4,157 of 5,166
i am using lg g7 now and want to replace it with lg v50 only to play music via 3.5mm jack. but i read mx4 pro has dac with better sound than lg g7. I can get it for less than $100. is it still worth buying the mx4 pro?
Depend on sound signature you like. if you like LG G7, you will be surely impressed with LG V50 sound.

if you want to experience warm sound like a tube amp, mx4 pro is a solution and only unique phone that can provide this kind of sound. The concern is no sd card slot and old android so the streaming app might not work for all. It is good for collection more than daily use phone.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,159 of 5,166
Hi Guys,
here's my first post on head-fi. As host, i visited many times this thread before getting ROG 5 and now I'd like to share some initial impressions (It arrives just 4 days ago).

Please, head-fiers, notice that i'm not an audiophile but an all-rounded music lover with a good HI-fi grade phones experience on my back. I came from Meizu MX4 Pro, Meizu Pro 5 (that i still own), LG V20, LG V50S and now ROG.

I would start saying that multimedia aspect of the phone is gorgeous: watching on Netflix i'm transported in a little cinema hall. Screen is clear and wide and Dirac made, in my opinion, a great job in tuning audio for that purpose. In general ROG 5 is a very fast phone with a generous and fast charging battery but it could be bulky and thick for the most of us. OS is near to an Android stock experience but in games it's deeply customizable.
And, yes, there's also something wrong: i'm not a gamer but Qualcom Snapdragon 888, under stress, sometimes warms a bit. The function that wan't go is fingerprint; well, i don't think about an hardware issue but it should be something that could be fixed in future upgrades. Anyway for now sensor response is almost a disaster.

But let's talk about ROG audio. I'm using it paired with a V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Master and a Grado SR-80 E.
Coming from an LG V50S (that we know is a 5G G8X) i noticed a poor software implementation on sound settings: My V50S has an equalizer, DTS Surround, Filters, Profiles, Balance etc. as every LG V series phone from V30 to V60, instead ROG has just an equalizer and a treble/bass tuner. ASUS Audio Wizard software also has some headphone pre-sets but limited to ROG series ones. it would have been great if user could create a custom profile for every headphone but seems that ASUS won't extend audience on non-ROG audio users.
I started playing trying the trick of disconnecting V-Moda Crossfade cable from headphones and plugging it just on mobile port, than reconnect the other side to headphones to enable output mode (obtaining more power from built-in amplifier), but it seems to cause some random issues on different tracks. I could define it just like a floating instruments issue, as on defective cables. No problem instead with SR80.
I listened moving through many generes, From Beastie Boys to Joni Mitchell, from REM, Zeppelin to more recent rock albums and I gradually love the sound. It reminds me of my old Meizu MX4 Pro. I could define ROG sounding as more Thick, full-bodied and Analog compared to LGV50S. Compared to V50S i coud hear a bit more on details and music arrives to me with a strong emotional impact. So my first impression is of a musical and full-bodied sounding with a bit more details than V50S.

Please the most competent ROG 5 owners to share their impressions too, if they want it. I think it would be interesting for many of us.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #4,160 of 5,166
Guys, you need to test Xperia 1ii. I was also always chasing the phones with marketed dedicated DACs (LG V50, V60) but ended up with Xperia. Good camera, good and clean sound. I recently purchased Fiio M11 Pro out of curiosity and have to admit that it's better then xperia with the IEMs I own but we are talking 10-15% improvement max. Not sure it's worth to have fully dedicated DAP if improvement is not that significant.
Yes, it offers balanced output and more power but we all know how overrated all this stuff is, at least for IEM and mobile use.
At the end I ended up using DAP for critical listening and to drive over ears but for mobile use I definitely prefer Xperia and most of the time even wireless headphones (Xelento Wireless and Sony WF-1000XM4).

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #4,161 of 5,166
DSC04373a by drjlo2, on Flickr

Oh, the horror. The dreaded day has come. My LG G8 thinQ literally started to come apart at the seams. I tried to glue it back with epoxy glue for >24 hours, but after a bit, the seam came apart again.
I hate iPhones, and it doesn't have headphone output.
Samsung lost headphone output.
NOS LG's seem to be what I need again, with Sabre Quad Dac and headphone jack, not to mention microSD slot (which I really love).
Is it crazy to buy yet another LG G8 thinQ or maybe try the V60?

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #4,162 of 5,166

Oh, the horror. The dreaded day has come. My LG G8 thinQ literally started to come apart at the seams. I tried to glue it back with epoxy glue for >24 hours, but after a bit, the seam came apart again.
NOS LG's seem to be what I need again, with Sabre Quad Dac and headphone jack, not to mention microSD slot (which I really love).
You dont wanna try usb c dongle instead?

I am sure you will happy with the sound and choose any smartphone you feel comfort with.

Or if you have no interest in higher spec smartphone, then LG again would be not a bad idea.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #4,163 of 5,166

youll love iphones when you realise they last forever. This kind of thing is so common with androids, my android from 2015 and bu dads S6 are long gone. My iPhone SE from the same year is still as fast and in one piece 6 years later.

I wouldnt buy an Lg when Xperias sound better according to the people here. Its a much better phone

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #4,164 of 5,166
youll love iphones when you realise they last forever. This kind of thing is so common with androids, my android from 2015 and bu dads S6 are long gone. My iPhone SE from the same year is still as fast and in one piece 6 years later.

I wouldnt buy an Lg when Xperias sound better according to the people here. Its a much better phone
this is battery bloat, it happens due to poor charging practices like letting your phone frequently drain down, or leaving it under a pillow or something so heat builds up while it's charging regularly, it happens on all brands of phones, this means the battery needs replacement and is a fire hazard.

It can be prevented by never letting battery go below 20%, and above 80% with charge control software features, this way a battery should be good for 6 years or so, and still functional and not bulging even after.

I repair phones as a hobby, iphones are just as bad as any other phone.

Seriously though, battery replacements aren't difficult and you should probably buy a new battery the moment one shows noticeable signs of degradation.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,165 of 5,166

I came from an LG V50S (same DAC as G8X) and get an Asus ROG 5, because of the LG Smartphone dept closing. About what @mainguy said: i'm shure about fine and long lasting software support by Apple and i know that Xperia is an elegant, well built and powerfull device, but i don't think that iPhone sound quality could be better than an LG V series, even plugging an entry level dongle. Same for Xperia: i don't think It sounds so better. Anyway, LG support just ended and if you don't use your HiFi phone as daily driver, there are a lot of cheap deals to purchase a V series in almost new conditions. Or you should try to repair It as suggested by @dissociativity.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,167 of 5,166
No more dongles :D

Rog phone 5
C5320370-E513-48C8-8C08-88A7243E8054.jpeg

Don’t know if it’s native or not, but it can play DSD file.
23F8C2E9-2E3C-44FB-9778-32752E99D0D2.jpeg

Sound quality wise it’s excellent for driving IEMs. I’m ahappy camper indeed.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #4,170 of 5,166
Well I have broken my V60 for the 3rd time. This phone just cant stay whole for me. I will likely do another insurance claim and get a new one for $100 and sell it. I recently was given a iFI hip dac from a vendor who had a long delay on a headphone I ordered. I think I will use it with a dongle to my next phone when I decide on one. I dont use my phone often for music anyways….but it is nice to have that convenience when I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back