Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 5, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,751 of 5,166
considering buying a smartphone more or less only for spotify (still planning to use my daps and external dac/amps for loseless)

was wondering if there would be significant quality difference if I go with LG - currently considering g7, g8 or v40 compared to other smartphones (currently using a s9+)?

thanks

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #3,752 of 5,166
considering buying a smartphone more or less only for spotify (still planning to use my daps and external dac/amps for loseless)

was wondering if there would be significant quality difference if I go with LG - currently considering g7, g8 or v40 compared to other smartphones (currently using a s9+)?

thanks

There is a definitive difference in terms of wired sound quality in LG's compared to Samsung. Even if you are using for Spotify only. LG's Quad DAC is in a league of its own and can drive high impedance earphones/ headphones much better than Samsung.

I don't know where you live, but here is India we are having the LG G8X brand new with Dual Screen slapped in for just $245. For that price you get Snapdragon 855 SoC, 6GB LPDDR4 RAM, 128GB UFS 2.1 internal memory, microSD card support for memory expansion (I am using a 256GB card), LG's Quad DAC (ESS ES9218P) tuned by Meridian Audio, adequately loud stereo speakers again tuned by Meridian Audio, DTS:X, and finally the detachable dual screen. For this bargain asking price G8X offers a lot in my humble opinion. Also Android 10 comes pre-installed, hence native DSD playback is no more supported. For PCM audio there are no issues. I am using it for a week now and am very satisfied with the purchase.

Regarding audio quality the sound signature is dramatically different from my B&O tuned LG V30+. V30+ tuning makes it analytical sounding with an acute knack for detail retrieval. Meridian tuned G8X is more musical and more forgiving on headphones while sounding lush and vivid but not loosing anything in terms of details. Both V30+ & G8X have their pros and cons in terms of audio quality as both audio tuning houses have their own preferences. Personally I like both.

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2019/09/l...nce-mobile-multitasking-and-user-enjoyment-2/

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #3,753 of 5,166
Isn't Samsung a pain to use with external DAC? Always read about Samsung users having issues with their dongles.
To me the best audiophile smartphone is the one I can install lineageOS on, standard usb otg with a fat battery and cheapest price possible. Xiaomi fits the bill but I know it doesn't work well with USA baseband network..

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #3,755 of 5,166
i need some help to understand what phone and gear i need to get the best sound. as a traveler without a car, my main source of quality sound for years were headphones. but now with my new bluetooth speaker (anker motion + ) i'm mostly listening through it. my music is wav or flac (i suppose 16 bit & 44.1 khz or at least hiby player shows that info) and now im curious would i have benefit of pairing this speaker (wirelessly or wired) with lg g8 if i get that phone. or i need to get lg g8 + dac and play bit perfectly to hear some improvements?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,756 of 5,166
i need some help to understand what phone and gear i need to get the best sound. as a traveler without a car, my main source of quality sound for years were headphones. but now with my new bluetooth speaker (anker motion + ) i'm mostly listening through it. my music is wav or flac (i suppose 16 bit & 44.1 khz or at least hiby player shows that info) and now im curious would i have benefit of pairing this speaker (wirelessly or wired) with lg g8 if i get that phone. or i need to get lg g8 + dac and play bit perfectly to hear some improvements?

Wired will depend on the phone output.

Wireless dont depend.

DAC is used when you want an upgrade sound

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,758 of 5,166
i suppose (in case of lg g8 and other phones with quality inside dac) dac is used to avoid android limitations in bit perfect reproduction? in case of lg g8 - would any budget dac upgrade the sound?
You need at least ifi micro idsd level.

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #3,759 of 5,166
Any interesting upcoming news for me as the owner of vivo xplay5s? Will Any better sound arrear anywhere in near future? Or which hifi home system for a resonable money i can build that have the same quality of music that my current portable setup? Vivo xplay5s+ audiotechnika ATH ES10?

I have now denon avrx2500h + dali zensor 3 *4, dali zensor 3 center , sub svs sb1000
Im not satisfying the quality of music at all!!

I want to know how mucn money i have to spend minimum that my home setup at least playing the same quality as my portable setup. Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,760 of 5,166
I just got an LG G8X unlocked for north america. HOOLY MOLY! This phone is a beast of epic proportions. Compared to other LGs, the battery life is just bonkers insane. The quad dac sounds awesome as you would expect.

Getting 3-4 DAYS of battery on this single screen G8X

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #3,761 of 5,166
There is a definitive difference in terms of wired sound quality in LG's compared to Samsung. Even if you are using for Spotify only. LG's Quad DAC is in a league of its own and can drive high impedance earphones/ headphones much better than Samsung.

I don't know where you live, but here is India we are having the LG G8X brand new with Dual Screen slapped in for just $245. For that price you get Snapdragon 855 SoC, 6GB LPDDR4 RAM, 128GB UFS 2.1 internal memory, microSD card support for memory expansion (I am using a 256GB card), LG's Quad DAC (ESS ES9218P) tuned by Meridian Audio, adequately loud stereo speakers again tuned by Meridian Audio, DTS:X, and finally the detachable dual screen. For this bargain asking price G8X offers a lot in my humble opinion. Also Android 10 comes pre-installed, hence native DSD playback is no more supported. For PCM audio there are no issues. I am using it for a week now and am very satisfied with the purchase.

Regarding audio quality the sound signature is dramatically different from my B&O tuned LG V30+. V30+ tuning makes it analytical sounding with an acute knack for detail retrieval. Meridian tuned G8X is more musical and more forgiving on headphones while sounding lush and vivid but not loosing anything in terms of details. Both V30+ & G8X have their pros and cons in terms of audio quality as both audio tuning houses have their own preferences. Personally I like both.

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2019/09/l...nce-mobile-multitasking-and-user-enjoyment-2/

Did you try downgrading it for native DSD playback? I am interested in knowing how native DSD on LG g8x compares to LG V30+?
https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG8X/comments/jg6coi/finally_back_to_android_pie/

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #3,762 of 5,166
I just got an LG G8X unlocked for north america. HOOLY MOLY! This phone is a beast of epic proportions. Compared to other LGs, the battery life is just bonkers insane. The quad dac sounds awesome as you would expect.

Getting 3-4 DAYS of battery on this single screen G8X

If you exclude the Dual Screen Case, the USP of LG V50S/G8X over its predecessor V40 is battery life. LG in one go was able to improve the battery endurance of 64 hours (V40) to 111 hours (G8X) as per GSMArena tests. It is for the very reason why I never bought the V40 on the first place.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #3,763 of 5,166
Did you try downgrading it for native DSD playback? I am interested in knowing how native DSD on LG g8x compares to LG V30+?
https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG8X/comments/jg6coi/finally_back_to_android_pie/

In short - NO.

Some reasons why:

1) My LG G8X arrived with Android 10 out of the box.
2) I am not into flashing/ rooting mobile phones.
3) I have V30+ & Vivo NEX (Vivo NEX S in China) which fulfills my native DSD playback needs.
4) G8X sound signature is more akin to NEX, with more spatial resolution.
5) In my ears Vivo NEX (on Android 10) have the best sounding native DSD playback of all. Limited to DSD64 only.
6) LG's Dual Screen concept is in its infancy with many rough edges. Every software/ firmware update brings significant improvements in overall software experience & intuitiveness on G8X. Over 2 years time when this concept gets matured we can skip Android version upgrades as the delta of overall improvement will be much less.
7) I am through & through into Android 10's gesture based navigation and cannot get back to Android 9 on screen buttons.

However like you, I am quite kin to experience the same on G8X. If you ever do so on your phone, please do share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back