Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #4,771 of 5,189
As far as current flagship smartphones with a 3.5mm jack/Hifi DAC there are only two options available: the Sony Xperia 1 IV or Asus ROG 6. Has anyone compared the two in terms of sound quality? I desperately need to upgrade my LG V60 - it's just too sluggish/slow for my current needs which makes sense given that it's 2+ years old.

I'm probably going to order the Xperia 1 IV since cost isn't an issue (it's $2200 CAD) but I'm worried about the overheating issues that reviews mention. Hopefully Sony fixes it over time, they've issued a firmware update for the international version. The NA variant might not have any overheating issues since it's being released in a few days (as opposed to the demo/review units for the global edition).

Edit: The ROG 6 Pro is probably best suited for my use case seeing as it has superior specs (18GB RAM vs 12GB on Xperia 1 IV/S22 Ultra, fastest smartphone CPU on the market currently, 165hz refresh rate vs 120hz, 6000mAh vs 5000mAh battery, and better cooling) but I'm not a fan of the gamer aesthetic at all. The camera quality on the ROG 6 is also pretty awful but that's not a priority.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #4,772 of 5,189
Aug 28, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #4,773 of 5,189
As far as current flagship smartphones with a 3.5mm jack/Hifi DAC there are only two options available: the Sony Xperia 1 IV or Asus ROG 6. Has anyone compared the two in terms of sound quality? I desperately need to upgrade my LG V60 - it's just too sluggish/slow for my current needs which makes sense given that it's 2+ years old.

I'm probably going to order the Xperia 1 IV since cost isn't an issue (it's $2200 CAD) but I'm worried about the overheating issues that reviews mention. Hopefully Sony fixes it over time, they've issued a firmware update for the international version. The NA variant might not have any overheating issues since it's being released in a few days (as opposed to the demo/review units for the global edition).
I just picked up a Sony Xperia Pro-I
But haven't tried any audio on it
That's for tomorrow
IMG20220827161851-01.jpeg

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #4,774 of 5,189
Hi, my G8x has started to give me some problems and I'm considering getting the V60. I liked the sound signature of G8x compared to G7 which sounded a bit cold. How does V60 compare to them.

Alternatively, I could get something like BTR7, Topping G5 or Hip-DAC V2... and pair it with any other phone. Will this setup sound better than an LG phone for IEMs? my daily driver is Hook-X that likes a bit more power, I've been using my G8x with Impedance trick for it. There's also HE-R9 and some other IEMs that I'd like to run occasionally.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #4,775 of 5,189
CCA12 is most impressive, and I bought it even cheaper, and got an upgrade cable. With DUNU impedance adapter, it sounds magnificent on V10 and G7 in high impedance mode. It just upgrades the sounds when in HI mode, balances everything, especially the treble. Listening to CCA C12 in Normal node is nice, but clearly inferior and I do not want it. Sometimes I leave my higher end cans at home, and I love the portability, and the plastic case that CCA sells. One must be careful, as the DUNU adapter and the upgrade cable`s big jack can bend the 3.5mm output hole, but the sound is so much superior, fun, and easy to listen to...
And V60 is warmer, fuller, more fluid than G7 with clearly superior bass, with the integrated LG app. UAPP makes the differences smaller and harder to hear. But I still prefer V10 to all of them, by a large margin. V60 still sounds more digital than V10. I bought an external charger and changing batteries is a breeze. And, best of all, no PWM.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #4,776 of 5,189
I strongly urge anyone considering getting the LG V60 to not do so - I've had it since launch (30 months now) and it's just not capable of being a daily driver anymore in terms of a mobile device. It's just too slow and can't keep up with current gen use cases in my opinion/personal experience, also check /r/LGV60 to see current anecdotes such as the rampant charging issues.

Instead look towards to the Asus ROG 6D Ultimate/ROG 6 Pro or Xperia 1 IV/Pro-I. I'm personally waiting on the ROG 6D Ultimate set to release on Sept 19, it's basically the best phone on the market at that price range (fastest CPU, 18GB RAM, 165hz display, best cooling/ventilation unlike the Xperia which tends to overheat).

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #4,779 of 5,189
Or the LG V50 still is an awesome as well
LG V50 has Meridian tuning while LG decided to do in house tuning for the V60
I just bought a Xperia Pro-I
Gonna try it tonight with some IEM and see what happens
I would add the LG V30 & V40 too. There's really not a huge difference between the dac chips and tuning. The V-- sereies all in all have stood the test of time as a great DAP that's bang for buck.

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #4,780 of 5,189
I would add the LG V30 & V40 too. There's really not a huge difference between the dac chips and tuning. The V-- sereies all in all have stood the test of time as great DAPs that offer the best bang for buck.

Sep 4, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #4,781 of 5,189
I am rocking LG V10 H961N in Europe. Most batteries, even when sold new, have less than 2Ah instead of the declared 3Ah. So, if V60 is too slow...I do not know what to tell you. V10 with atrocious battery life taught me what I could not achieven for years - be less addicted to the phone. Better organisation of tasks, using my high end DELL XPS laptop, faster decisions when using GPS...it was literally an education for me. Now, my battery has 40% life remaining, and I still lasts one day on Android 7. I bought external charger and batteries, for just in case. Nothing will ever beat the experience of a high end laptop...so I use it for browsing, for creating GPS tracks...and I am happier than ever. I cannot believe that an old phone gave me the revelation I craved for years. New life!

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #4,782 of 5,189
I strongly urge anyone considering getting the LG V60 to not do so - I've had it since launch (30 months now) and it's just not capable of being a daily driver anymore in terms of a mobile device. It's just too slow and can't keep up with current gen use cases in my opinion/personal experience, also check /r/LGV60 to see current anecdotes such as the rampant charging issues.

Instead look towards to the Asus ROG 6D Ultimate/ROG 6 Pro or Xperia 1 IV/Pro-I. I'm personally waiting on the ROG 6D Ultimate set to release on Sept 19, it's basically the best phone on the market at that price range (fastest CPU, 18GB RAM, 165hz display, best cooling/ventilation unlike the Xperia which tends to overheat).
I have LG G7 & G8x both older than V60 and don't think they are slow. Then again I don't game or use my phone heavily, mostly music, calls & YouTube... but I guess if you were gaming or comparing with a high refresh rate phone side by side you'd feel like it.

Personally, I don't care about high refresh rate, I'll take longer lasting battery any day. These days most Mid-Range phones are good enough for day to day use and for me a more important feature would be the camera.

The V & G series phones have always had good cameras, that coupled with DAC, Memory Card support and cheaper price... can't think of any other phone bringing so much value for the price.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #4,784 of 5,189
Out of curiosity bought the V60 for ~240 USD and first impressions are good. Will compare audio of G7 vs G8x vs V60 soon and see how it goes. Apart from 3.5 output the display, speakers and camera are much better than G8x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back