Best Singer/Songwriters
Feb 21, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 44
Besides many of the excellent choices mentioned so far, I have to plug John Mayer.

He's new, and he has a reputation for being either:

1. A teenybopper
2. A Dave Matthews ripoff

In fact, he's neither. He's actually an incredible guitar player and songwriter. You wouldn't necessarily know this based on the two overproduced singles that have hit the radio and MTV over the past few months. But a live John Mayer concert is something truly amazing.

He has three CDs out now. The first was an EP he recorded which is mostly just him and his acoustic guitar doing eight of his earliest songs, called Inside Wants Out. It's a good introduction to his music and songwriting abilities, though it doesn't showcase his virtuoso guitar playing. The second is a polished, but overproduced album called Room For Squares; it has thirteen songs on it and a full backing band. Well worth picking up if your primary concern is well-done songwriting. Though this one also ignores his amazing guitar skills for the most part.

The third one just came out, and is available either as a double-CD or as a DVD, called Any Given Thursday. It's a complete live show he did in Birmingham, Alabama in September 2002. It showcases all of his talents -- songwriting, guitar playing, live performance, etc. I'd recommend the DVD.

Feb 21, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
ani difranco

UGH!! Just a bit too angry for me...although admittedly very talented. She makes a caterwauling hag like Alanis Morissette sound like Amy Grant.

Feb 21, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #20 of 44
John Meyer is talented, but in my view is more or less uneven in his writing, he can be very pop right back to meaningful. 'My Stupid Mouth' impressed me very much, more than the more pop 'Your body is a Wonderland' .

Singers I would add into it:

Ryan Adams
Jeff Buckley
Bright Eyes

The latter is my favourite choice for it. He's like what, 16 and wrote some truly amazing lyrics that made me wanted to understood it despite the lack of lyrics interest I have. Music is the main thing always. But he did made my view on hat leaned a bit nowdays.

Feb 21, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #21 of 44
i would like to add

Tom Waits
Nick Cave
Beck
Kurt Wagner (Lambchop)
Billy Joel
Leonard Cohen
Lou Reed
Joan Baez
Arlo Guthrie
Suzanne Vega
Matthew Sweet
Ryan Adams
Tori Amos
Chris Martin (Coldplay - does he actually write the songs?)
Kurt Cobain

Feb 21, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Tim Hardin was another great singer/songwriter........anybody remember him? Wrote "Lady Came From Baltimore."

Also "If I Were a Carpenter", "Reason to Believe", "Goodbye Hank Williams"... nope. Can't say I remember him
very_evil_smiley.gif

Kate and Anna McGarrigle
Richard Thompson
Laurie Anderson

the list can get long very very fast.

Feb 23, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Besides many of the excellent choices mentioned so far, I have to plug John Mayer.

He's new, and he has a reputation for being either:

1. A teenybopper
2. A Dave Matthews ripoff

In fact, he's neither.

I've been listening to Any Given Thursday for about three days so far. I like it a lot, but I've got to take issue with your item #2. Whether he intends it or not, this guy IS a Dave Matthews ripoff. He even sounds like Dave when he talks to the audience.

BTW - I don't think that's a bad thing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Whether he intends it or not, this guy IS a Dave Matthews ripoff. He even sounds like Dave when he talks to the audience.

Well, I disagree. I realize his singing voice is a bit like Matthews', but how can the guy help that? He's not ripping Matthews off so much as being 'cursed' with a similar singing voice.

As for the music, I don't think they're anything alike. If he wanted to rip of DM, he could easily write music in that style. But he doesn't.

Honestly, I think he's closer, music-wise, to James Taylor and Sting than he is to DM.

Feb 25, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Well, I disagree. I realize his singing voice is a bit like Matthews', but how can the guy help that? He's not ripping Matthews off so much as being 'cursed' with a similar singing voice.

As for the music, I don't think they're anything alike. If he wanted to rip of DM, he could easily write music in that style. But he doesn't.

Honestly, I think he's closer, music-wise, to James Taylor and Sting than he is to DM.

I'll say it again...I don't think that it's a BAD thing to be a DM ripoff.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I'll say it again...I don't think that it's a BAD thing to be a DM ripoff.
biggrin.gif

I guess my objection is to the "ripoff" part. It implies that he's doing it on purpose, to exploit a market (DMB fans).

I'm just saying that whatever similarity exists seems (to me) coincidental.

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 44
I'm just doing it to jerk your chain...although the voice is remarkably similar. I really like his stuff a lot, and I'm listening to that live album to the exclusion of all others right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back