Best setup for Fiio A3 with iPhone 6 and iPod Classic 6G?
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

alexjholland

New Head-Fier
Hey, I picked up a Fiio A3 headphone amp and wonder how best to connect it to my music devices?

My music devices
  • iPhone 6
  • iPod Classic 7G (with Tarkan's 4 x Micro SD conversion, although needs fixing)
  • MacBook Pro 2011
My headphones are AiAiAi TMA-2 Young Guru.

Running the iPhone 6 straight into the Fiio A3 and then my TMA-2 headphones, it's certainly louder and I enjoy a bass-boost. That said, it's not 'transformative' in terms of audio quality, which research suggests is because I'm using the 3.5mm output and therefore the iPhone's amp - thereby 'double-amping' my audio.

Using an Apple lightning-30 pin and then a Fiio L9 is - apparently - one way I can bypass the iPhone 6's amp and thereby enjoy superior sound, via the Fiio A3 amp.
- Is this correct?

The Fiio L9 cable is discontinued, but I have this cable.
- Does this cable perform the same job as the Fiio L9 cable?
- If so, should I buy an Apple 30-pin to Lightning converter, to enjoy superior sound with this cable and the Fiio A3?
- Will this cable also bypass the amp on my iPod Classic (when it's working again) and allow the Fiio A3 to produce higher sound quality?
- Are there any cheaper third-party alternatives to the Apple 30-pin to Lightning, or should I just get the official one?

Any further tips appreciated.. hoping it's just the Apple 30-pin to Lightning and getting my iPod Classic fixed that will allow me to use the Fiio A3 and get some improved sound!

Thanks,

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back