Best settings to get the most out of a pair of ATH-AD700's?
Jan 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

9thPower

New Head-Fier
I don't have a fancy sound card, nor do I have any real idea what I am doing so please don't eviscerate me. There are some options though when I check properties. One in particular being Bass Boost. I have wanted to get a better sound card, as I am sure the one I have is nothing special. I am guessing an amp is a good purchase as well? As I cannot turn these super loud or it just gets rather crappy with some static. Not sure if I can afford stuff like that but I am certainly open to suggestions and perhaps in the future I will work something out. The main issue is what are the proper bass boost settings? 

My Bass Boost is currently sent to 12 decibels and 80 Hz. I just messed around with it a bit, so please don't get offended if that isn't a good setting. I didn't want to end up making it sound worse. 

Here is my Loudness Equalization Settings... Not sure if it is proper...

http://i.imgur.com/AQhnl.jpg

I play video games quite a bit with these headphones and listen to a wide variety of music and even watch plenty of TV shows and movies so if there are things I need to know about setting it up for different uses please inform me if you can. Thank you, sorry I am such a noob. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
You might be getting static because you're bass boosting.  Whenever you EQ, always EQ down instead of up.

Well it does this without any Bass Boosting and I just meant when I turn it up louder than usual. I was guessing it was my sound card not being fancy or lack of an amp. It isn't that particularly bad either, just notice minor static as I increase volume to pretty loud levels. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Well it does this without any Bass Boosting and I just meant when I turn it up louder than usual. I was guessing it was my sound card not being fancy or lack of an amp. It isn't that particularly bad either, just notice minor static as I increase volume to pretty loud levels. 

Is it an on-board sound card? If so that's the most likely cause of the static, if it's a separate sound card from the motherboard then it's very dirty power coming from your power supply.
TMRaven's comment still stands, when you EQ it degrades sound quality especially when it's been boosted by 12db.
I have listened to the Audio technica's and they are not bass heavy cans so your other options is to look for a more bass heavy headphones and not need to boost the bass

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 6
If you are getting static, either your source is very low quality, or you are getting electric interference.

You definately need to consider either getting a good sound card or an external amp.

ive got an ad-700 as well, and a fiio e17 made a world of difference and its relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back