Best settings for perfect audio quality
Mar 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

LuciferRising

Head-Fier
OS is Windows 7. Control Panel -> Sound -> Properties -> Advanced tab

Questions are:

Default format: What should I select here? [ 16/24bit ] [44.1/96kHz]

Shared mode VS Exclusive mode - What should I use?

Resampling will screw my quality, so what do I do in order to get the best audio playback?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 28
Stop shouting.

And listen.

Or read.

Been covered.

Lots.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 28
  OS is Windows 7. Control Panel -> Sound -> Properties -> Advanced tab

Questions are:

Default format: What should I select here? [ 16/24bit ] [44.1/96kHz]

Shared mode VS Exclusive mode - What should I use?

mpling will screw my quality, so what do I do in order to get the best audio playback?

I just leave mine at 24-Bit/96Khz.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 28
Use WASAPI and its irrelevant.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 28
So you mean, whatever I select in the settings I will lose quality due to resampling? I don't really care about games, I just want to listen to my lossless music the way it's intended to be listened to.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 28
No, if you use WASAPI exclusive mode it should automatically change the output sample rate and bit depth to match the source when the track starts playing. If you play a sample rate and\or bit depth that your DAC\Soundcard doesn't support you will get a WASAPI error. WASAPI exclusive will bypass the settings in the control panel.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 28
No, if you use WASAPI exclusive mode it should automatically change the output sample rate and bit depth to match the source when the track starts playing. If you play a sample rate and\or bit depth that your DAC\Soundcard doesn't support you will get a WASAPI error. WASAPI exclusive will bypass the settings in the control panel.

Do I get to be able to listen to system sounds/other sounds though? It's important that my PC notifies me about anything important.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 28
Nope, you will only be able to hear the one application that is using WASAPI exclusive mode.

If you want to be able to hear system sounds then you have 2 choices, Direct sound or WASAPI Shared. resampling will occur based on what output settings you select in the control panel > sound. Whether or not you can hear the resampling is something you'll need to test.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 28
Nope, you will only be able to hear the one application that is using WASAPI exclusive mode.

If you want to be able to hear system sounds then you have 2 choices, Direct sound or WASAPI Shared. resampling will occur based on what output settings you select in the control panel > sound. Whether or not you can hear the resampling is something you'll need to test.

I'm using DS as of now am I not?

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 28
Just select whatever your highest quality music is, or whatever the max is that your gear supports. I really doubt you'll hear a difference, but you could do blind tests if you want to. I don't bother with WASAPI since it stops anything else making sound and it doesn't sound any different to me.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #15 of 28

I do like the idea of WASAPI automatically adjusting the sample rate. But I would avoid upsampling. IMO there is no benefit, and may actually make the music sound worse.

Bob Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back