Best set of headphones for around $300?
Nov 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
I need a new pair of headphones, my sr325i's are being returned because the weight of the aluminum chamber adn the extreme brightness of these cans just isnt what im looking for. It does not matter to me whether they headphones open are closed. I've been reading around and i've taken a few into consideration(denon d2000, audiotechnica ath-ad900, and a few others. I am looking for a good all around headphone that are detailed and clear and go well with rock mostly,but also hip-hop, blues, pop, and the rest of the genres. I dont want extreme brightness like a grado sr325i though, if the 325 was a little less bright and more comfortable they would be great. I will be using my ipod as the source w/ a meier corda 2move as my amp. Any suggestions would be great.!
normal_smile .gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 21
I want them to be very comfortable to for extended listening period. Any help is appreciated.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 21
The D2000s seem appropriate...slightly on the dark side, good with the genres you mentioned. Would benefit from an amp, though. You could get the D2000s and postpone the amp purchase, of course.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 21
I do enjoy the D2k's. I like them better than the Ultrasones FWIW. They fit the bill comfort wise for sure. I don't find them to be bright. The bass is plentyfull but not overwhelming. There is a slight metalic sound with them that I can't exactly describe, but I don't really notice it unless I'm doing a direct comparison with other more refined cans. Overall for the price I think they are an excellent choice. I have also tried the AT900 ltd's but didn't find them to be anything really special. They were good but left me wanting in the bass dept. I know they are a different animal from the AD2k but mention it just for comparison sake. Hope that helps a little.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks guys that helps alot i think i know what im gonna get now.
@jonathanjong: Would my amp the i have right now,meier corda 2move, be sufficient to drive the denons or would they only benefit from a home amp. I'm hoping that the 2move would be able to power them because i cannot afford a home amp right now.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 21
Id recommend the AD900 if you want open or the Beyerdynamic DT250 if you want closed. Both are great all rounders and will be driven fine with the 2move. The D2000 has somewhat recessed mids from what i have read but I haven't heard them myself.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 21
I don't know how they'd fare with the 2move, but the Sennheiser HD-600 might be a good match for you. They're neutral, detailed and one of the best all-around headphones on the market. I find them comfortable, but some don't like the way Sennheisers clamp your head.

A quick search found them for $294.95 with free shipping at B&H (Sennheiser | HD 600 Headphone | HD600 | B&H Photo Video). No affiliation with B&H, but I've bought from them a number of times and find them reliable and honest. If you want to save a few dollars, you can usually find these used around $200-$225.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id recommend the AD900 if you want open or the Beyerdynamic DT250 if you want closed. Both are great all rounders and will be driven fine with the 2move. The D2000 has somewhat recessed mids from what i have read but I haven't heard them myself.

i was looking at the ad900's again and alot of people have said that they lack bass, that the base is tight and responsive but lacks power and authority. The main thing is that i dont want any shrill highs like sr325i.

What about the beyerdynamic dt770 pros?
How do they compare to the denon's?

Also, do the ultrasone HFI 780's headphones have piercing treble like sr325i?

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was looking at the ad900's again and alot of people have said that they lack bass, that the base is tight and responsive but lacks power and authority. The main thing is that i dont want any shrill highs like sr325i.

What about the beyerdynamic dt770 pros?
How do they compare to the denon's?

Also, do the ultrasone HFI 780's headphones have piercing treble like sr325i?

The Dt770 is known to have a recessed midrange as well. The DT250 has smooth highs and plenty of bass impact. The AD900 can be harsh to some but Id say they are smooth compared to Grados iv'e tried. Bass impact isn't their strongest point though.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 21
Well i think ive come to a decision i think im going to get the ultrasone Pro 750. What do you guys think are these a good pair of headphones. Comfy? Any flaws sound-wise or any weak spots in construction?

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #15 of 21
I owned the ultrasones for a time & I much prefer the Dennons. You shouldn't have any trouble running them with your amp. I use mine for my bedroom rig along with the Micro Amp & DAC & they are just fine. The Dennons just offer a more substantial "believable" bass to my ears. I haven't found the mid-range to be lacking to the degree that it bothers me at all. Whatever you choose -- enjoy the journey! This is what makes it fun -- trying & comparing........and spending cash
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back