Best sennheiser cable for soundstage
Sep 14, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 11
I must admit I'm not very familiar with the HD 650 aftermarket cables, all I have ever used are the stock cable and the Equinox that I just received today. What I can tell you is that with only 2 hours of burn in, the performance of the Equinox is in every aspect much, much better than the stock cable, which isn't bad in itself. The soundstage of the Equinox is very wide compared to the stock cable coming out of my Waveterminal U24, and I am expecting to get my modded MPX3 later this week and I can't even imagine what that will sound like. I highly, highly recommend this cable, it is really incredible and I can't imagine any aftermarket cables sounding better than this- the only big downside (and a relatively big one at that) is that the wait time is looong, about 18-20 weeks. I ordered mine last spring and I just finally received it today. I can tell you though, it was worth the wait.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 11
A silver Dragon balanced cable connected to a Gilmore Balanced Reference!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 11
The RnB audio cable that I recently posted a review on is the best cable i've heard yet for soundstage.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 11
IME the Blue Dragon II keeps the Sennheiser sound, but enhances soundstage and extension greatly. I've used stock, Carda, Zu & Silver Dragon.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Compared to the Cardas I found the Silver Dragon to lack focus, with fuzzy placement. In effect providing a wider stage by extending an instruments place.

Not my style, I prefer the Cardas focus, pin point placement of instruments.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm this close to purchasing the RnB diamond mini IC. However, since I'm also planning to get a Moon-Audio Blue Dragon v2 HD650 replacement cable, I'm wondering about the cable synergy.

Drew (from Moon-Audio) recommended me to purchase an IC made by the same material as the Senn replacement cable.

Could anyone shed some light on whether the synergy effect from using the same cable material in both headphone cable and IC outweighs the benefits of the improved sound quality in the RnB diamond mini IC?
confused.gif

(The IC is for my portable rig detailed in my signature)

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkless
Could anyone shed some light on whether the synergy effect from using the same cable material in both headphone cable and IC outweighs the benefits of the improved sound quality in the RnB diamond mini IC?
confused.gif

Since no cable is neutral, I'd say it's best to look for complementary properties if in turn both have a complementary synergy to the HD 650's sonic signature. In any event I don't see much sense in identical IC and headphone cables.

peacesign.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkless
I'm this close to purchasing the RnB diamond mini IC. However, since I'm also planning to get a Moon-Audio Blue Dragon v2 HD650 replacement cable, I'm wondering about the cable synergy.

Drew (from Moon-Audio) recommended me to purchase an IC made by the same material as the Senn replacement cable.

confused.gif

(The IC is for my portable rig detailed in my signature)

I don't think you need to be that concerned with matching both the headphone and mini IC cables. Just as long as they are both of high quality you should be fine. I think both Drew and Myo can terminate their replacement headphone cables in 1/8 minis so they can both be used with the SR-71. From impressions, it doesn't sound like you can go wrong with either. Note that a replacement cable like the Moon Blue Dragon or RnB will make your HD650 significantly less portable than it already is. But since they are both one man operations, perhaps you could request a reasonable length like 4 feet to make them more manageable and also decrease cost.

Great portable rig by the way, it doesn't get any better than that.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks JaZZ and Borat.

I think I'll order a 1/8" terminated 5' Blue Dragon v2 HD650 cable from Drew and get the 8" diamond mini IC from RnB180.
That should cure my upgraditis for a while
600smile.gif

Oh wait, I also need to purchase an UE Super.fi 5 Pro (seems like the best IEM for reducing background noise while commuting and listening to rock). Damn!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back