Best semi-portable amp/usb-dac for AT woodies
Jan 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AppleheadMay

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know much about portable amps since I have had no need for them.
What I am looking for though is an amp/dac that I would call semi-portable to take from home to work and use on my desk, in bed or in the garden.
It has to be amp and usb-dac in 1 unit, the size of most portable amps or a bit bigger (like the Lisa - a model I seem to remember), run on battery power and be rechargeable.
I remember the Lisa form reading about it long ago but I don't think there is a version with a dac, or is there?
I would want top SQ though, the best I can get from portable(ish).
The phones it would drive would be various AT woodies or Denons, all sensitive low impedance cans.

All recommendations are welcome so I know what to read up on or to search for.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 32
For the moment the iQube v3 seems like it could do the trick.
It seems ultracompact though so I wonder if that's at the expense of SQ.
It also looks like it charges via USB while in use, which is convenient.
Anything comparable that is known to be better?

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 32
Thanks for the tip. The E17 has all the features I want. It's not expensive at all. Why would you call it not a top level one, the price only? I do appreciate usb charging, not too fond of needing extra adapters. Do you think it could keep up with something like iQube v3 or iBasso DB2 + PB2 or are these in another league alltogether? Are the iQube and iBasso even in the same league? Their prices are quite similar though. As for prices I don't care if its cheap or expensive as long as it's good, but $600 is about as far as I'd go for a portable setup. And I don't need it to be capable of driving Senns or orthos so that makes a difference when it comes to price as well I think.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. The E17 has all the features I want. It's not expensive at all. Why would you call it not a top level one, the price only? I do appreciate usb charging, not too fond of needing extra adapters. Do you think it could keep up with something like iQube v3 or iBasso DB2 + PB2 or are these in another league alltogether? Are the iQube and iBasso even in the same league? Their prices are quite similar though. As for prices I don't care if its cheap or expensive as long as it's good, but $600 is about as far as I'd go for a portable setup. And I don't need it to be capable of driving Senns or orthos so that makes a difference when it comes to price as well I think.

I didn't want to seem all rawr and what not by recommending a $150 DAC/Amp (i knew it had everything you wnated) and have u saying it's not good or all. 
http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e7-meet-your-rival-the-ibasso-d-zero/
http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/
http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

Basically in terms of sound, it goes like this
E11>= E17>E10>D-Zero

Features and overal? The E17 wins out of all the FiiO and other in it's range.
the DB2 and PB2 are very expensive. with the specs it has. i doubt the E17 can compete with such a high range.

I don't know if i was seeing things with the iQube v3. it's specs looked weaker than the E17's. the amplifcation was not as high. 80mW @ 32 Ohms compared to 215mW @ 32 Ohms. the Cirrus Logic in it i don't know but looks to be close in series to the CS4398 in my itouch. the specs looked very similar but again. specs don't tell how it sounds :/ and how good it is.

I'm not a high end amplifier person. the most i know is the E17 and it's buddies downwards so i can't tell you. The (2) iBasso(togehter) looks better than the iQube in terms of what it offeers.

The E17 is just a poor man's all in one...for only $150 ($135 on Straight from China websites)

i would say just go with iBasso PB2 and then the DB2 since it's expensive and has good specs and is a very reputable company :/ but then again. i don't know much. sorry i couldnt help much

The extra adapters on the E17 are for people that want to run it through SPDIF to get full use of the 24/192 through the Wolfson WM8740 DAC

Edit:Wow. it seems iBasso DB2 also uses the WM8740 in the E17

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 32
Thanks for the info on the iQube, that one is off my list then, I don't want to pay a premium for inferior technology.
I'll look a bit deeper into the E11 and E17 and see if I can find some more comparisons between them and iBasso models, like in the link you gave me.
I'm not sure if the amp part of the iBasso is chargeable via USB though, maybe with an adapter cable like the one used for the iQube v1? (usb to some kind of power adapter pin)
Already late here so your links will make for a nice read in bed!  :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the iQube, that one is off my list then, I don't want to pay a premium for inferior technology.
I'll look a bit deeper into the E11 and E17 and see if I can find some more comparisons between them and iBasso models, like in the link you gave me.
I'm not sure if the amp part of the iBasso is chargeable via USB though, maybe with an adapter cable like the one used for the iQube v1? (usb to some kind of power adapter pin)
Already late here so your links will make for a nice read in bed!  :)

after much time on head-fi i  have found that sometimes specs may not matter too too much? Are there any definite reviews on the iQube? the 80mW @ 32 Ohms sounded very very low

Ok i think the iQube is not good
http://www.moon-audio.com/iqube-v3-portable-headphone-amp-dac.html

it uses a CS4344
http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/d-a_converters.html

the CS4344 is a medium level DAC. the ipod touch i have uses the flagship CS4398. something seems wrong here. the low amp power and medium level DAC sent warning bells to me. can another supremus head fi'er confirm or deny my suspicions?

You won't find any of the PB2 and DB2 vs the E17...cuz the E17 is not out yet :p but still. The fact that the DB2 and E17 uses the same DAC is a good sign :)

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 32
Considering things, it might not be a bad idea to add iPod compatibility into the mix.
I do tend to take a long walk in the woods/countryside here sometimes at night.
So to get the best sound out of an iPod there are three options: iMod which I'm not interested in.
There is the Algorithm but since that one doesn't accept USB fom a laptop I'd need an amp/dac to go with it.
And the Fostex which is an iPod dac/amp and thus would need a USB dac to be complete. Just how good is the Fostex amp I wonder.
I knew this would become a big research thing again.  :wink:

So on that note, does anyone know where I can find that big portable amp comparison thread by Skylab? Can't seem to find it.
And would there be a portable DAC thread like that as well? I wonder what all my options for standalone portable DAC's are.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 32
I have the Fostex HP-P1 and I'm really happy with it for portable use. The amp is decent (don't expect it to sound anywhere as good as your HA5000ANV! lol), but the superior component would have to be the DAC. I think the DAC is really really good and may even be comparable/better than a lot of standalone DACs. Yeah I do agree that Fostex could have added a USB DAC feature as well, but as a portable unit it serves its purpose well.

Alternatively, why don't u consider the Fostex HP-A3? It's a USB powered all in one box that is pretty good i think. I've never tried the A3 before though so take this with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Considering things, it might not be a bad idea to add iPod compatibility into the mix.
I do tend to take a long walk in the woods/countryside here sometimes at night.
So to get the best sound out of an iPod there are three options: iMod which I'm not interested in.
There is the Algorithm but since that one doesn't accept USB fom a laptop I'd need an amp/dac to go with it.
And the Fostex which is an iPod dac/amp and thus would need a USB dac to be complete. Just how good is the Fostex amp I wonder.
I knew this would become a big research thing again.  :wink:

So on that note, does anyone know where I can find that big portable amp comparison thread by Skylab? Can't seem to find it.
And would there be a portable DAC thread like that as well? I wonder what all my options for standalone portable DAC's are.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
You won't find any of the PB2 and DB2 vs the E17...cuz the E17 is not out yet :p but still. The fact that the DB2 and E17 uses the same DAC is a good sign :)

Good sign indeed. I decided not to look at the 2 box  balanced iBasso solution anymore but instead consider the D12 and Fiio E17, among other brands.
They could be used analog with the iPod for the time being and later upgraded with an Algorhythm.

Quote:
I have the Fostex HP-P1 and I'm really happy with it for portable use. The amp is decent (don't expect it to sound anywhere as good as your HA5000ANV! lol), but the superior component would have to be the DAC. I think the DAC is really really good and may even be comparable/better than a lot of standalone DACs. Yeah I do agree that Fostex could have added a USB DAC feature as well, but as a portable unit it serves its purpose well.

Alternatively, why don't u consider the Fostex HP-A3? It's a USB powered all in one box that is pretty good i think. I've never tried the A3 before though so take this with a grain of salt.

Good to know the dac part is of high quality. I'll do some reading on it's qualities as an amp.
I was thinking that adding a Centrance Dacport LX to the Fostex would be a nice solution.
I can't imagine that The regular Dacport with amp would have a decent amp?
Any alternatives to the Dacport? I'm sure I've came across more of these things but can't remember when or where.

The HP-A3 is a bit big for taking a walk, no?  :wink:

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 32
Ok, found the threa where Skylab compares more than 50 portable amps and after reading the reviews and searching around I decided on the Tria Audio L3, the new Lisa.
This one is quite pricey and certainly not ultraportable. I'll be holding of on the DAC and use the DAC's in my iPod and laptop for a while.
Later, the Algorhythm Solo can be added to the iPod and the Centrance DacPort Lx to the laptop. Maybe.
Anyway, I wanted to choose for the best quality ampwise and give up on the DACs since the amp will be used with fullsize phones.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
Ok, found the threa where Skylab compares more than 50 portable amps and after reading the reviews and searching around I decided on the Tria Audio L3, the new Lisa.
This one is quite pricey and certainly not ultraportable. I'll be holding of on the DAC and use the DAC's in my iPod and laptop for a while.
Later, the Algorhythm Solo can be added to the iPod and the Centrance DacPort Lx to the laptop. Maybe.
Anyway, I wanted to choose for the best quality ampwise and give up on the DACs since the amp will be used with fullsize phones.

Glad you found something to your liking. The Cirrus Logic in your iPod/iPhone is certainly not bad at all. Heck it's a flagship CS4398 in my touch 2G! Otherwise, me and the other poor guys will go and get the E17 :) the Triad looks really nice though :)

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 32
I think the E17 might be really nice with IEM's and portable phones but I'm afraid it wouldn't bring out what the full sized cans can deliver.
From what I've read I think I will like the L3, yes. And I tend to love all things made of wood.  :)

May I ask which of the iPods I have would have the best chip? I have an iPod Classic 120Gb that my wife uses in the car (probably 2 years old or more), a 2 year old iPod touch that is used for a remote around the house and an iPhone 4S. Which one should I use for portable listening? I don't need that much space on it since I would be uploading the music I want to hear before I leave.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
I think the E17 might be really nice with IEM's and portable phones but I'm afraid it wouldn't bring out what the full sized cans can deliver.
From what I've read I think I will like the L3, yes. And I tend to love all things made of wood.  :)

May I ask which of the iPods I have would have the best chip? I have an iPod Classic 120Gb that my wife uses in the car (probably 2 years old or more), a 2 year old iPod touch that is used for a remote around the house and an iPhone 4S. Which one should I use for portable listening? I don't need that much space on it since I would be uploading the music I want to hear before I leave.

The E17 would do great with any headphone up the the $400 range. it's one of the best if not the best value out. for someone like u tht has more fancy equipment. the L3 looks very nice :)

The ipod's are all different. it depends on what genre's you like. im going to guess, rock,country, jazz, classical and what not due to your Denon's. If so, then the ipod classic is for you due to the Wolfson chip inside it. Wolfson chips are generally prefered by HeadFie'rs due to their warmer sound that fits classical,rock ,jazz etc more. The ipod touch and 4S use a high end Cirrus Logic...and now comes the very very hard part. i'm going to guess your ipod touch is the 3G which (is said) to use the Cirrus Logic CS4398
http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/d-a_converters.html

which as u can see. is cirrus logic's flagship. however the 4S and iphone's have been suing weird numbers lately. like CL something series. you can't find it anywhere on the net....anywhere at all. even on cirrus website it doesn't exist. it might/probably is a somewhat secret chip they specifically designed into the SoC on the 4S (you have to cut chips open and use super powerful microscopes to find out what they are. it took quite a bit of cutting away before it was found what the 4S used.

The 4S and iPhone's DAC has been said on head fi to be better and better every year and is said to sound better than the marked and known CS4398 used in the ipod touch 2G and 3G. With that know. we pull all our knowledge togehter and how cirrus logic tends to have a more mainstream sound for rap,hip hop, etc and i will say it should go like this for you (if you like warm music)

ipod classic > 4S >= ipod

did i blow ur mind? tellig u that ipod's use flagship marked DAC's from Cirrus Logic :)  
beyersmile.png

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 32
That along with a lot of vocal and acooustic is my preferred music yes, but I 'll listen to pretty much anything.
The Wolfson chip would indeed have my preference in that case, so I'll rip the Classic out of her car. :wink:

If Apple uses top of the line chips one would wonder what an Algorhythm Solo can still improve on it.
Of course the SQ of a DAC isn't determined by the chip alone, but still, I wonder if the improvement would be worth the extra money and bulk to carry around.
Too bad this isn't the US and there is no shop where I can try it or order it on trial for a few weeks.
Haven't seen that done around here yet, except maybe for very expensive gear like Accuphase and the likes and then only if you're a big time customer at that dealer already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back