Best Sandisk DAP?
Dec 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tehsprayer

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a cheap dap that runs the Westone 3 well. I am having hiss coming out from my IEMs because of my phone and need a better dap to run it with. The battery life the s3 drains rather quick when running flac files. I will put rockbox on it (is it hard to?). I need a sandisk player with expandable storage, the more battery life the better. Space is no big deal as I have a microSD of 64GB (Must have expandable storage and accept 64gb)

What do you think?

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Observations on these players with Rockbox:

The Clip+, Clip Zip, original Fuze are your best options.

The Fuze+ sounds as good as the above, but it's hard to recommend because it has too many hardware flaws. The E200v2 has the same soundchips as the above, but power output is slightly less and the battery life is crap. Same for the C200 from what I can tell.

If you can find one at a non-exorbitant price the original Fuze is IMO the best one to have because it has a better battery life than the Clip+ and Clip Zip. However, you can get one of the Clips for roughly 1/4th the price you will pay for a good working Fuze.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 11
  Observations on these players with Rockbox:

The Clip+, Clip Zip, original Fuze are your best options.

The Fuze+ sounds as good as the above, but it's hard to recommend because it has too many hardware flaws. The E200v2 has the same soundchips as the above, but power output is slightly less and the battery life is crap. Same for the C200 from what I can tell.

If you can find one at a non-exorbitant price the original Fuze is IMO the best one to have because it has a better battery life than the Clip+ and Clip Zip. However, you can get one of the Clips for roughly 1/4th the price you will pay for a good working Fuze.

So probably clip+ or clip zip, both 4gb in Canada for $46 each.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm a big fan of the Clip+.

Easily Rockboxed, great sound, good battery life (slightly better than Zip) and memory expandable. The Zip however, has a better display, if that's something that matters to you.

I will say however, that the original Fuze is certainly a step up in SQ. The space in the sound is much improved. Not to mention the added functionality of the click wheel and color screen. All depends on how much dough you're willing to spend I suppose.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 11
  I'm a big fan of the Clip+.

Easily Rockboxed, great sound, good battery life (slightly better than Zip) and memory expandable. The Zip however, has a better display, if that's something that matters to you.

I will say however, that the original Fuze is certainly a step up in SQ. The space in the sound is much improved. Not to mention the added functionality of the click wheel and color screen. All depends on how much dough you're willing to spend I suppose.

Will this fix hissing from sensitive iems?

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 11
I've never had hissing issues with the Clip although the Fuze occasionally hissed with my more sensitive TF10s. Neither hisses so much that it's intrusive. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 11
  My Westone 3 hiss with everything i've tried including the fiio e10. I might have to use a volume attenuator.

Honestly man, one of the best purchases I've made since joining head-fi is this little Ety-style impedance conversion extension. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-Headphones-Earphones-ER4P-ER4S-50-Ohm-Convertor-Conversion-Cable-/271320560335?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f2bf732cf

It takes care of any hiss I've ever had on DAPs from the Fuze to the iPod Video. And it only adds 50 ohms of resistance so it doesn't require an amp to reach higher volume levels.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 11
  Honestly man, one of the best purchases I've made since joining head-fi is this little Ety-style impedance conversion extension. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-Headphones-Earphones-ER4P-ER4S-50-Ohm-Convertor-Conversion-Cable-/271320560335?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f2bf732cf

It takes care of any hiss I've ever had on DAPs from the Fuze to the iPod Video. And it only adds 50 ohms of resistance so it doesn't require an amp to reach higher volume levels.

Does this effect sound quality?

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 11
it would be very strange for a triple BA not to "suffer" from added impedance. I couldn't find an impedance graph response for the w3 but with the triple fi we have plenty.
from ****ty approximates because I'm not going to spend the day on this, the impedance graph on tf10 goes from around 54ohm @1khz to maybe 7ohm @10khz.
with let's say 3ohm source going with and without the 50ohm adapter would make a variation close to 10db between 1 and 10khz.

so you should clearly be able to hear it (the 10khz go down big time with the adapter so look for the cymbals with and without adapter).

now if the W3 are close to W4 or UM3X in impedance graphs then it might even be a good thing to add the adapter, but in any case there will be a change in signature.
 it is true that making the impedance go up could be a solution against hissing. it doesn't remove it but lowers it compared to the music (in fact everything goes quieter, but pushing the volume control up only make the music come back up and let the noise where it is).
so I'm not saying not to try it (it's not super expensive anyway to get an adapter on eBay), just to warn you it will change the signature in some ways. surely less than the super impedance picky tf10.

about the sansas, they don't really hiss and that is great, but they make an electronic noise every 30s or something (never cared to time it) and it lasts like 2secs "dzzzzzzzzzzzzzZit" yeah I'm a pro noise impersonator. so with sensitive IEMs it might drive you mad even more than the hiss of your phone as it's not permanent.
to fix hissing for good you have 2paths:
-find a non hissing dap. my cowon I10 is a pretty cheap **** that really doesn't hiss at all. but you have to survive the ludicrous UI. X3 doesn't hiss but you have to like the sound signature so I would recommend listening to it before buying one. to me it's a lot better than the cowon in a lot of aspects, but I also believe the average joe would have a better time with a cowon and all the sound tweaks available.
-or get a non hissing amp (most of them), but you will end up paying more for something bulkier.

I'm really really picky on hissing stuff and didn't find the perfect solution yet. my lightweight solution is a clip+ and some ethymotics for max isolation, or clip+ and IE80+impedance adapter(they don't change sound signature from impedance variation) when I'm missing my bass too much and don't need isolation.
and with quality IEMs I add an amp :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back