Best rugged IEM's under $150?
May 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #31 of 42
SIgh...the 215's are $85 shipped and the UM1's will be around $110 shipped. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 215's because they seem like they're more "fun"(I've decided to listen to my inner bass-head) and are cheaper. Please reassure me that this is the right choice. I'm just worried about microphonics and getting the right fit with the Shure's, I feel like I'll be getting that with the westone's but I'll be suffering bass and a little more $$

May 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:
SIgh...the 215's are $85 shipped and the UM1's will be around $110 shipped. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 215's because they sound more "fun"(I've decided to listen to my inner bass-head) and are cheaper. Please reassure me that this is the right choice. I'm just worried about microphonics and getting the right fit with the Shure's, I feel like I won't get that with the westone's but I'll be suffering bass and a little more $$

The UM1s aren't that good to me in that price range. The Etymotic HF5 easily triumphs them. 

May 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:
REF: the whole fixed cable vs. replaceable cable issue.

What if I tell you all that Earphone Solutions has hard data collected since the first replaceable cable universal earphones were launched that supports, without a doubt, and by a huge margin, that earphones with replaceable cables fail much more often and at a much higher rate than earphones with fixed cables?

I completely understand the perception that with removable cables, one may feel "safer". The only products we don't have enough data yet because they are relatively too new, are the SE535, SE425, SE315, UM2-RC & UM3X-RC.

I have a set of UM2s that are completing 5 years now.

Another aspect to consider. When the cable fails on an earphone with fixed cables, they get replaced or repaired at no charge for the first 2 years (after submitting registration, etc.) under the manufacturers' warranty.

When the cable fails on an earphone with replaceable cables, the first and most common action is to buy a new set of cables.

This could be big business. We sold many thousands of cables back in the day. Customers wouldn't think twice between trying to enter a warranty claim with the manufacturer or simply buy new cables.

So my question is: is that BETTER for the consumer? I don't think so. My everyday set is a fixed cable UM3X. I also love my SE535 but the way Shure built these cables it seems these would never fail hence never replaced.

I think in Shure's and Westone's case it's the manufacturer responding to demand and desire. It's the perception of the end user that replaceable cables are better, which honestly, I don't share that view. Because I know the return rate and the sales of replaceable cables, and the calls and feedbacks we receive from our customers. Hard data collected for several years.

The problem, I think, is because once you have a replaceable cable, you have just created a "weak link": the connection.

One needs to re-think the "freedom" of being able to replace ( = buy) cables every so many months (sometimes weeks).

I have had this conversation with numerous customers and manufacturers. It's difficult not to offer replaceable cables given the perception and desire for them. I will stick with my fixed cable set. Less moving parts, less connections, to me, equals simpler, more reliable and ultimately better.

Just my 2 cents.

This really changed my thinking. Sorry to keep this thread going on and on. But I think it's a seriously big question as I don't have 100's of dollars to keep throwing away every few months. So I'm thinking of just saving up my money. What's a good pair of earphones just as good as the SE215's for not too much more and with light durable cables like the UM1's? The TF10's and UM2's come to mind. Or should I just get the UM1's? will I really notice a difference in bass, etc. coming from the S4's?

May 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:
Quote:
REF: the whole fixed cable vs. replaceable cable issue.

What if I tell you all that Earphone Solutions has hard data collected since the first replaceable cable universal earphones were launched that supports, without a doubt, and by a huge margin, that earphones with replaceable cables fail much more often and at a much higher rate than earphones with fixed cables?

I completely understand the perception that with removable cables, one may feel "safer". The only products we don't have enough data yet because they are relatively too new, are the SE535, SE425, SE315, UM2-RC & UM3X-RC.

I have a set of UM2s that are completing 5 years now.

Another aspect to consider. When the cable fails on an earphone with fixed cables, they get replaced or repaired at no charge for the first 2 years (after submitting registration, etc.) under the manufacturers' warranty.

When the cable fails on an earphone with replaceable cables, the first and most common action is to buy a new set of cables.

This could be big business. We sold many thousands of cables back in the day. Customers wouldn't think twice between trying to enter a warranty claim with the manufacturer or simply buy new cables.

So my question is: is that BETTER for the consumer? I don't think so. My everyday set is a fixed cable UM3X. I also love my SE535 but the way Shure built these cables it seems these would never fail hence never replaced.

I think in Shure's and Westone's case it's the manufacturer responding to demand and desire. It's the perception of the end user that replaceable cables are better, which honestly, I don't share that view. Because I know the return rate and the sales of replaceable cables, and the calls and feedbacks we receive from our customers. Hard data collected for several years.

The problem, I think, is because once you have a replaceable cable, you have just created a "weak link": the connection.

One needs to re-think the "freedom" of being able to replace ( = buy) cables every so many months (sometimes weeks).

I have had this conversation with numerous customers and manufacturers. It's difficult not to offer replaceable cables given the perception and desire for them. I will stick with my fixed cable set. Less moving parts, less connections, to me, equals simpler, more reliable and ultimately better.

Just my 2 cents.

This really changed my thinking. Sorry to keep this thread going on and on. But I think it's a seriously big question as I don't have 100's of dollars to keep throwing away every few months. So I'm thinking of just saving up my money. What's a good pair of earphones just as good as the SE215's for not too much more and with light durable cables like the UM1's? The TF10's and UM2's come to mind. Or should I just get the UM1's? will I really notice a difference in bass, etc. coming from the S4's?

man! GET THE UM2's. You will enjoy those big time!  The bass is nice, the soundstage is nice, its a very fun earphone.

May 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #35 of 42
They're so expensive though and I'm impatient lol, what's the second best? Basically all I want is the sound of the Se215's with the comfort and cable's of the UM1, all around the same price-range. Does such  an abomination exist?

May 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:
They're so expensive though and I'm impatient lol, what's the second best? Basically all I want is the sound of the Se215's with the comfort and cable's of the UM1, all around the same price-range. Does such  an abomination exist?

no. lol.  Pleaseeeeeee......... Get the UM2. By the grace of god.... they have sales on earphone solutions all the time... there should be a 20% off right now on westone products. use it.

May 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 42
I feel like I can just get the UM1's tho and play around with the bass on my phone's EQ and get some good bass. I'm not an experienced audiophile by any means and quite the basshead I guess, not overpowering but thumping bass is nice. SO, will the UM1's be better than the S4's? Will I be satisfied with them? DO they sound good? I won't feel like I'm missing out on any sound? I don't want to make a huge investment here(i.e. spend a butt-load of cash).

May 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:
I feel like I can just get the UM1's tho and play around with the bass on my phone's EQ and get some good bass. I'm not an experienced audiophile by any means and quite the basshead I guess, not overpowering but thumping bass is nice. SO, will the UM1's be better than the S4's? Will I be satisfied with them? DO they sound good? I won't feel like I'm missing out on any sound? I don't want to make a huge investment here(i.e. spend a butt-load of cash).

Why worry get both UM2 and 215, return one

May 9, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

The UM1 is technically better than the S4, but not in bass. I would recommend the Turbines for your sound preference, but the durability isn't that good. But I guess I can recommend the JVC-FXT90s, if you don't mind the down the ear fit. Bass is certainly not overpowering and it's pretty thumping. 

May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

The UM1 is technically better than the S4, but not in bass. I would recommend the Turbines for your sound preference, but the durability isn't that good. But I guess I can recommend the JVC-FXT90s, if you don't mind the down the ear fit. Bass is certainly not overpowering and it's pretty thumping. 

or.... he could pay 110.00 Use the code "CostProg50%" on atrio.me and get the Future sonics atrio M5. Now that my friend. is some SERIOUSLY ear pleasing bass.

May 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:
or.... he could pay 110.00 Use the code "CostProg50%" on atrio.me and get the Future sonics atrio M5. Now that my friend. is some SERIOUSLY ear pleasing bass.

I tried the M5s today again though, the sub-bass was waaay too much for me, even when I EQed it down. But my friend liked them a lot, so I can see why people would like them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back