Best rugged IEM's under $150?
May 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:
I liked the S4's and all, but they just don't appeal to me anymore. I love how beefy the 215's cable is and the reviews are awesome. How comfortable are they though? And I know they've reportedly had problems so I might go a step up and get the 315's. I'll also probably get a shorter replacement cable because 5 feet is way too long for me. But I don't think I can afford the step up 315's AND a replacement cable..does anyone know the cheapest place to get shure's new OR used? An alternative cheaper headphone would be fine. I'm truly only looking to spend around $90 after the sale cut or that price used, so I'm sorry for the misleading headline, It should be changed to "around $100" really. I know I'm asking for a lot lol. But I really am willing to buy used, if anyone knows a good place to buy used besides amazon (on amazon it's like 10 dollars less than brand new What?)

For the genres you listen to, SE215 and TF10 would be a better deal than the SE315s. 

May 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 42
The 315's are a very minor step up (they only have slightly better drivers but they are aren't doubles)
I have the 215's and love them, I can recommend them in full confidence.
BTW I got mine for $80.

May 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 42
The 315's are a very minor step up (they only have slightly better drivers but they are aren't doubles)
BTW I got mine for $80.

May 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 42
Yeah I'm pretty seriously looking at the SE215's now, they look awesome. Does anyone know how comfortable they are though? the reason I ask is because I can't stand the way ipod earbuds fit in my ears, so I don't want that same discomfort. It may just be a matter of getting used to their fit though

May 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #21 of 42
I'm finally getting used to the se215s, the cord goes over the ear and u need to shape it for comfort. I've been experimenting with the different tips. Large foams work nice for me but I'm picking up some triple flanges to try with them as well. For some reason I can't get the left one to stay in the position I want, so the housing sticks out at an odd angle and puts pressure on my ear, which is slightly uncomfortable. I think the triple flange will stop this from happening. My previous iems were er6's and shure e2's. The se215s have a great sound at a reasonable price. However i use them at work and it's annoying at times having the over the ear design. How will you be using them?

The e6 Fiio 25$ amp is great with them also.

May 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:
Quote:
Yes the fit of the TF10 can be a problem, however if they fit they certainly meet your requirements. 

x2

x3

BTW I got mine for $80.

There is no way that the SE315 is a step-up from the 215.  The 315 literally boasts nothing... I would take the 215's any day, as they 100% for sure, cover the full audio spectrum better than the 315s.

May 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #25 of 42
Okay I'm sorry to change things up a little, but I think my choice now has turned into a SE215 VS Westone UM1's decision. They're both around $90 on headphonesolutions.com so...anyone care to explain to my newbish mind to which one would be better for my tastes in music? To my understanding theyre both dynamic single drivers, but apparently the Shure's have more bass(but not better bass)? As for the durability part I think they're both pretty good, with westone's light but durable twisted cable, and Shure's beefy almost over-the-ear headphone-like cable.

May 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #27 of 42
Okay I'm sorry to change things up a little, but I think my choice now has turned into a SE215 VS Westone UM1's decision. They're both around $90 on headphonesolutions.com so...anyone care to explain to my newbish mind to which one would be better for my tastes in music? To my understanding theyre both dynamic single drivers, but apparently the Shure's have more bass(but not better bass)? As for the durability part I think they're both pretty good, with westone's light but durable twisted cable, and Shure's beefy almost over-the-ear headphone-like cable.
the um1 is not dynamic. It is a balanced armature. And you would consider it "Boring." I have the UM3X and If I had to choose from the UM1 and the Shure se215 I would get the UM1... The sound is clean, simple, and it's not like OH MY GOD AMAZING. For you, you would probably sense no bass presence. Have you looked at the future sonic atrio m5 mg7? Those have enough bass to rattle your stomach.

May 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #28 of 42
I have a pretty good ear and not even trying any other headphones I thought the bass on the S4's I had were a little overpowering to the mids and highs. They weren't as muddy as Beats but I still didn't necessarily like that kind of bass. I hear the shure's do have some penetrating bass though, I just don't want it to be overpowering like the S4's. 

May 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #29 of 42
In that case. Get the UM1. The comfort from the UM1 will own the SE215. Also. I really encourage you to invest in the UM2... Bite the bullet, pay a bit extra. And get them! They are fantastic sounding, and the soundstage is gorgeous.

May 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:
I have a pretty good ear and not even trying any other headphones I thought the bass on the S4's I had were a little overpowering to the mids and highs. They weren't as muddy as Beats but I still didn't necessarily like that kind of bass. I hear the shure's do have some penetrating bass though, I just don't want it to be overpowering like the S4's. 

The S5i's bass actually does sound like a toned down S4. There are people who mentioned that the SE215's bass did penetrate the other sound frequencies, and I found them to be a little so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back