Best rock 'n roll bass player...
Oct 22, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Les Claypool, Primus

ditto my nizza

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 37
Flea Definately! The Bassist on DC Talk's - Welcome to the Freakshow album was also fantastic. Not forgetting the bassist of the Gin Blossoms.
You guys should hear the bass line on RHCP's - Soul to Squeeze

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #22 of 37
Another vote for John Paul Jones, he kicks butt on Dazed and Confused.

Also Cliff Burton, Metallica's original bassist. Good all round player, did a cool bass line in Orion and a 3 minute bass solo one their first album.

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 37
Yeah, I'd go with Les Claypool because his bass is Primus. It's really hard to argue that any other bass player makes his band.

I prefer bass players that are bass players. You know, you can tell the ones -- they've probably never picked up a real guitar in their life, and it comes through. Not many around though. And I don't think slap-bass and and funky stuff is outside the rock genre. Look at Flea -- he's basically the reason I love the Chili Peppers (before their latest crap, of course). Some great lines, like the one in "Aeroplane" and all over BSSM and the earlier albums.

kerely

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 37
Before I ever picked up a guitar, I played the bass. Even now I still can't use a pick on guitars (including electrics -- it looks really silly when I play). I want to tear all my hair out when I see someone pick up a bass who proceeds to try to play chords -- especially power chords. Yes, bass is different than guitar... but it's also a really easy instrument, even easier than the guitar. So despite the fact that there are many guitarists who pick up bass without having played it seriously before (including Noel Redding, I just remembered his name now), it doesn't mean that a guy who starts on guitar but then puts some serious time into the bass can't become an amazing bassist in a short amount of time.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 37
Chris Squire, Geddy Lee are my top two choices. Chris, in particular, gets some amazing tones out of his ("Heart of the Sunrise", the entire Drama album).

Cliff Burton, indeed!

John Paul Jones -- saw him play with Lenny Kravitz, once, he's too cool. (Some awards show.) Also an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist.

John Entwistle -- "The Real Me" 'nuff said.

Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order) -- plays a lot of that high-on-the-neck stuff.

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #27 of 37
Gary Mounfield, aka Mani, of The Stone Roses and now Primal Scream. I saw him play with Primal Scream on the XTRMNTR tour, and he was just unbelievable. I remember thinking "Man, I would give up a lot of body parts to be able to play like him."

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 37
James Jamerson, who played on many of the big Motown hits.

His playing influenced alot of rock, r&b and jazz bassists, including John Entwistle and John Paul Jones.

Oct 24, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #30 of 37
Victor Wooten is pretty amazing.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back