Best Rock/Metal Earphones
Dec 28, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #31 of 31
If you want your music in your face, punchy, and brilliant-sounding, the SR-60 is a good place to start, at $60 or $70 without a dedicated amp. You can save some cash that way.

I also suggest the Beyer DT250-80. It sounds great without an amp, and has the most powerful midrange I've ever heard before from a closed headphone, which is ideal for rock as it sticks the sound in your face with great imaging and dynamics. Another advantage of this headphone is its ambiguity towards really bad equipment: it sounds decent on really horrible .mp3s and cd players, which is an astounding feat for a high end headphone. This is my brother's favorite pair of cans, and he actually prefers the sound to other models like the HD600 and HD650.

The HD600 is around $250 new, which is well over your price range. Unlike the Grado SR-60, the music is placed farther back on a very deep, broad soundstage. Some people will like this, others will not, especially when it comes to rock. I would avoid the HD580 and HD600 simply because at $150, you are better off buying a headphone which performs awesome with budget components. The 600s sound great with rock (and everything else for that matter) but they'll break the bank when you do spend $4,000 on amp and source.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back