Best Rock Headphones *High Budget*
Mar 9, 2010 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
*sigh* Well, I thought I was settled on the T1s, but for my taste in music it seems that everyone is torn. Some say it's perfect, some say it isn't dynamic or fun enough for rock music (which, as you probably gathered, is just about all I listen to). Outside of rock (any and all types), I listen to electronic, metal, and acoustic stuff, a little hip hop here and there.

I've got a $1200 budget for the new headphones, and am looking for something that more than anything is just plain fun to listen to, with a reasonably balanced presentation, impactful but not SUPER impactful bass, crystal clear highs, and an involving mid range, with a quite large soundstage. I REALLY want something that gets my foot tapping to the music, and maybe even gets me singing along to some songs.

I also like a soundstage that doesn't feel like I'm sitting a huge distance from the stage, I like to feel like I'm quite close up, but not on stage (maybe front 5 rows?), if that helps at all.

Comfort is a large factor here as I do tend to have 5+ hour listening sessions, so please don't jump on the RS1 recommendation. The two headphones I've been looking at are:

- LA7000 Lite (same thing as LA7000, no recable)
- T1

But I honestly don't know what else there is in this price range for rock that might better either of these, so if you have a suggestion feel free to throw it out there, if not please let me know which of these better suits my tastes.

The reason I'm considering the LA7000 Lite over just a stock D7000 is that the stock D5000 sound on my current D5000s is simply not for me. They are simply breathtaking for acoustic stuff, but as soon as I begin to play rock music the mids that would normally engage me with great guitar and vocal reproduction just get completely lost in the bass, and the highs take a back seat as well to the bass. I've heard the mod changes this completely.

I'm just completely lost at this point so I'm hoping all of you can help me! Are the T1s great for rock, or do they lack the fun factor that an LA7000 might provide, or am I missing the picture completely and need to consider a different can altogether?

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 64
Call me crazy, but you already have a very good setup for rock. Try Moon Hdam's in your C2, or some other tweak. On both mt Compass and FUN there are jumpers to set the sound to "soft". This brings out the mids, if you have such an option, it's worth at least trying.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 64
You haven't heard your HF-2s yet, right? Why rush into another big purchase then? They may be perfect for you. If they are, you'll have to go through the pains of selling your new purchase. If they aren't, buy a new pair of headphones after you realize that.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 64
My vote is for the T1...big surprise!
biggrin.gif

This is coming from a big Grado fan too and I do find that the T1s, while neutral do a phenomenal job with rock. I am a huge rock listener too (80%+). Some of my favourite bands: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rush, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, The Who, Rolling Stones.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't heard your HF-2s yet, right? Why rush into another big purchase then? They may be perfect for you. If they are, you'll have to go through the pains of selling your new purchase. If they aren't, buy a new pair of headphones after you realize that.

I actually have heard them and really do enjoy the sound, but the comfort just isn't there for long listening sessions. Also, my father is most likely going to be buying them from me because he wasn't able to get on at the time of the sale and has been wanting a pair for awhile.

I do like the onstage presence they offer and they are very engaging though.

And yeah MH kinda sensed you'd be recommending the T1s haha. The only thing that has me worried is a lot of people seem to be on the fence about how they feel about them for rock, a few choice quotes would be "not dynamic enough", "not energetic enough", "not fun enough", etc.

I really wish there was a place around here to demo them
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me crazy, but you already have a very good setup for rock. Try Moon Hdam's in your C2, or some other tweak. On both mt Compass and FUN there are jumpers to set the sound to "soft". This brings out the mids, if you have such an option, it's worth at least trying.

Oh I agree, it's great if you want to relax while you're listening to music, but it just doesn't have that engaging quality to it. I have a feeling it's either due to the lack of mids, highs, or both when you play rock music.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP1/HP2

Comfort, my good man.

Heard the HP2s before, fantastic cans, but comfortable? Not so much.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 64
Really, I can't imagine going wrong with either the Denons or Beyers. Lucky you!

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 64
RS-1

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1

Good choice, but if I had to choose between my RS1i or T1s, it's beyers all the way. Ideally both!
devil_face.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 64
I personally like the Grado sound for rock music...I really want to pick up a pair of RS1is at some point.

As for the Beyer T1s, I can say that they are very versatile, and in my opinion they perform very well for all types of music. Apart from the Grados, I would have to say that the T1s are probably my favorites for rock.

In about a week or so, I'll have a pair of LA2000 Lites to compare side-by-side with my Beyer T1s, so if you can hold off until then, I might be able to offer a little more information...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally like the Grado sound for rock music...I really want to pick up a pair of RS1is at some point.

As for the Beyer T1s, I can say that they are very versatile, and in my opinion they perform very well for all types of music. Apart from the Grados, I would have to say that the T1s are probably my favorites for rock.

In about a week or so, I'll have a pair of LA2000 Lites to compare side-by-side with my Beyer T1s, so if you can hold off until then, I might be able to offer a little more information...
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be awesome! I have no problem waiting, I still have to sell my D5000s which I have not even posted FS yet, so there's plenty of time there.

Since the LA7000 Lites are basically just a more detailed version of the LA2000 Lites from what I understand (sound signature is supposedly pretty much identical due to different damping used), that should help me out immensely.

I'm actually leaving for a week's vacation on Saturday, so I'll be sure to hit you up when I get back the Sunday after and see how you're feeling about them (or if you've even developed an opinion at that point depending on how long you've had them). To this point I've only been able to hear comparisons between T1/D7000, and since LA7000 are supposed to be COMPLETELY different cans from the stock D7Ks, this will be a first time comparison I think, so it'll be great to hear the results.

I've got to say though, for everyone recommending Grado, don't get me wrong, Grados are hands down the best rock headphones I've ever heard, I own SR60s that I use for short listening sessions just because I love the Grado sound so much, but past an hour the comfort issue just gets to me.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choice, but if I had to choose between my RS1i or T1s, it's beyers all the way. Ideally both!
devil_face.gif

I heard the T1s. Great cans. Still prefer Grados.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 64
Just curious MH, but in what situations do you prefer the RS1is to your T1s? Since you prefer the T1s for rock I just can't seem to think of a situation to use the RS1is over them. Is it just to change the sound up once in awhile to get a taste of the Grado coloration?

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious MH, but in what situations do you prefer the RS1is to your T1s? Since you prefer the T1s for rock I just can't seem to think of a situation to use the RS1is over them. Is it just to change the sound up once in awhile to get a taste of the Grado coloration?

I usually technically prefer the T1s pretty much on everything. I really like the coloured and up front Grados when I want to change things up a little bit when I want a little more fun.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back