Best replacement earphones (with a short cable!) for my sony nw-hd3??
Jan 15, 2005 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kathy

New Head-Fier
hi all,

recently got the nw-hd3 sony hard disk portable. ive got the in-line remote control for it, so now need to get some decent replacement earphones, but with no more than 0.5m cable length since the remote comes with that length and more than 1m just gets in the way in the portable world.

....the only ones sony themselves seem to do are the mdrex71's, which apart from getting mixed reviews dont seem to have great build quality either.

so im hoping for some pointers from anyone on here for any other possibles, coz having nearly 2metres of cord hanging around my neck at the moment is not great!! quite apart from the fact that im sure i can greatly improve the sound quality by replacing the bundled earphones!!!

thanks for any help,

kath

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 13
Hello fromYate!
biggrin.gif
As far as i'm aware you're prety much stuck with the Sony offerings if you insist on a remote friendly lead - Sharp do the MD33 (like the EX71's but better) but it's designed for the Sharp AUVI MD decks (4 pole plug) so you'd have to use the supplied extension with the Sony (makes the 4 pole plug 3 pole for compatability.
etysmile.gif

*edit* You could do the Sharp plug mod if you're handy with the soldering iron...

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 13
The best way I found to deal with the remote cord when I had an MD player was to either not use the remote or attach the remote to my MD carrying case and coil its cord inside the case with the player.

Alternatively, the best short-cord earphones are probably either the Sharp MD33 (canal) or the Sony E888 (earbud).

the MD33s used in short-cord mode are designed for dual mono, however, and need to be modded to use with the HD3. It's a simple mod, though... remove the black isolation ring that is closest to the plug body and place a very small drop of solder that bridges the two ground connections together. File it down so the plug once again fits into the 1/8" jack.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm currently using sennheiser mx450's with my minidisc and remote. They have a short cable and sound excellent for the price (much better than mx400's).

Whoops! mx450's have a 1m cord not a 0.5m but when i have my remote hooked on to my pants with the md in my pocket, the cable is the perfect length to reach my ears.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 13
thanks for the comments so far,

i'll take a look at the sony e888's and the sharp md33's - im not good at soldering tho to be honest so, so far, i may be better off with the e888's in their short, straight plug form.

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 13
Compared to the stock earphones (splashy, tinny), the EX71 is if anything tinnier in the highs and mids but adds inarticulate but large bass. The MDR-G74SL Street Style gives a more rounded sound but is slightly less loud... a big consideration depending on where you're using these, as the (European at least) HD3 is comparatively gutless. The ATH-EM7 once again rounds out the sound, but to a lesser extent than the G74SL and doesn't really offer a great deal of technical improvement on the stock phones.

The EX71 would seem to be the most practical choice if you definitely need short cord.

I don't have experience with the 888. But if the EX71 is out and you don't need isolation, they may be the best bet.

Jan 15, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Or just don't use the remote and treat yourself to Shure E3s.
I mean, when I used to carry around a big PCDP I put that in my backpack and used the remote, but the Sony is so small and light (I got the NW-HD1) you can easily put in in a shirt breastpocket or anywhere else if you like, so why carry along a remote at all? Just one more thing to keep track off.

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 13
i really like the remote myself, its a LOT easier than fiddling on the main unit all the time, and the function set is actually a lot more comprehensive from the remote - weird but true - so a short cabled earphone is pretty much essential for me personally.

thanks for all the comments, i will investigate all the models mentioned, even the pricey audio-technica's!

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 13
Ask someone for a pair of their old stock IHP earbuds. They're very short, since they're meant to be used with the supplied remote. Too short for me. One side is also much longer than the other, which is fairly short, so that it wraps behind your neck. And they sound okay, colored, but okay. I'm pretty sure head-fiers have a pair lying around. Mine broke so . . .

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 13
Asked myself the same question for use with my Sony MZ-NH900 & remote. The best Sony offerings include the E888 earbud, EX71, or D66 Eggos. The G74 is another option, as b-man has pointed out (I've never heard them though).

In the meantime I've DIY-ed a short cord to my Koss Sportapros using the short cable cannibalized from another pair of headphones that came with another PCDP. It was easy, and it works pretty well, except that the Koss' require a bit more power. I refuse to carry an amp, so the volume can't really krank. But their increased bass response sorta makes up for it.

I had the EX70's once - didn't like 'em much. I still want to get a pair of E888's though. Wonder if they're worth the scratch?

Jan 16, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 13
I usually walk around with the E5 (the slightly yellowish lumps with the U-shaped cord) The length of the cable is a pain unless I thread it around some parts of my clothing. The short-corded phones on the left are all significantly easier to manage while the HD3 is "remoted" than the pile on the right.

nw3phones.jpg

I don't think that the EX71 offer much in the way of good sound, but I think they're perfectly OK for the money. They do offer isolation which is a useful level, and some good design touches which are not to be found on any other Shure/Ety canalphone. With the (I think someone at Sony is very clever, and also perhaps has a good sense of British humour) 2-band parametric EQ for MP3's on the NW-HD3 the response problems of the EX71 can be circumvented somewhat by making a 'reverse bowl' on the EQ. Might be worth a look/listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back