Best Rectifier Tube for WA6
Jul 23, 2008 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

dvb-projekt

100+ Head-Fier
Hello @ all,

witch Rectifier is the best sounding Tube for the WA6 ?

Feel free to give your comment!
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 68
I just won an ebay bid for a pair of 1940's National Union 5U4G VT-244 (U.S. Navy label). I'm curious how it will sound. It wasn't expensive so I'll give it a shot.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 68
Sophia 274b Mesh....with mid-1950's metal base GZ34 a close second.

You'd really have to have more choices in the poll, as for example, there are good sounding 5AR4's out there, and more than a few mediocre ones. Far too many variants, good and bad.

Another possibility for top dog would be the Fat Bottle High-Wycombe CV378 GZ37 rectifier. Not an easy find.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to stock, what does the Sophia bring to the sound quality?

Jack seems to agree with reviews and manufacturer claims that, "The Sophia 274B is one of the best rectifiers for the 6's. It yields fuller body, more expansion in every dimension, and better dimension, and better definition on all frequency." I decided to skip the upgrade package on my WA6 SE after Jack notes that, "...the Sophia 274B has the most impact but lesser cost than the part upgrade package. Although a more expensive metal base GZ34 works very well with the amp but the 274B out-performs it in many ways.

I ordered my 'Princess' this week.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 68
This one is tough. There may not be too many that have heard both the GZ and the 273B...

So I have to vote for NOS 5AR4 metal base.

Cheers,

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one is tough. There may not be too many that have heard both the GZ and the 273B...

I own both.....the Princess wins.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just won an ebay bid for a pair of 1940's National Union 5U4G VT-244 (U.S. Navy label). I'm curious how it will sound. It wasn't expensive so I'll give it a shot.

I have a Ken Rad of that ilk (Jan CKR) for a MC-7R preamp. It's a pretty darn good rec, similar in SQ to a RCA blk plate from the late 40's early 50's. I have no idea how it stacks up against the NOS and new varieties of 274B. I only have a dirt cheap Shugang 274B which in all honestly isn't half bad for a stock tube. I'd like to get my hands on a Princess 274B mesh plate but don't have the jack for that as of yet....

Peete.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack seems to agree with reviews and manufacturer claims that, "The Sophia 274B is one of the best rectifiers for the 6's. It yields fuller body, more expansion in every dimension, and better dimension, and better definition on all frequency." I decided to skip the upgrade package on my WA6 SE after Jack notes that, "...the Sophia 274B has the most impact but lesser cost than the part upgrade package. Although a more expensive metal base GZ34 works very well with the amp but the 274B out-performs it in many ways.

I ordered my 'Princess' this week.

Thanks. I was only looking at Caps upgrade + Dact Pot - from your reply, looks like the Princess is vital. The amount really adds up, esp if I op for SE version all maxxed out with princess tube, that'll be near EC ZD price range...not sure about sound quality, but WA definitely looks better than the ZD.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 68
My critical listening skills are far from refined unlike many of the long time Head-Fi forum members, so I recognize only significant sound enhancements. Right now, that is my quest. If I begin to recognize and enjoy miniscule sound enhancements, I will make adjustments accordingly.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 68
with the v-cap i like the gz34 big brown base...
with the mundorf silver in oil i like the gz30 gt-shape mullards...
the 5r4gy brimar is no. 2 in rank for both configuration...

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 68
Any thoughts on this RCA 5V4 Rectifier?

DSC_1506.jpg

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 68
All I can say is WOW! My Princess 274B mesh plate arrived today. Incredible soundstage enhancement as if someone tore down a wall and the band invited me to be on stage. Solid bass, mids and smooth highs. With only an hour on this tube, I do not think I will ever remove it from my WA6 SE. Very much worthwhile purchase.

Sophia1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back