Discipline - King Crimson
Ænima - Tool
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Siamese Dream - The Smashing Pumpkins
Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
Kick - INXS
Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix Experience

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #334 of 464
I've heard Band on the Run described as being poorly recorded (done in Nigeria on relatively outmoded equipment) but on a good system I personally always thought it sounded amazing.

But so much is down to the pressing when deciding on sound quality. I have heard different pressings make the same album sound like a totally different experience.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #336 of 464
bump for the 2015 HD tracks Grateful Dead studio albums. I hear the dead always had some serious audio nerds in their entourage so its no surprise their the source material would be excelent. I have the 24/192 versions and they have they have no tape hiss other defects to my ears. foobar range meter puts them at 10-14 DR depending on tracks tested.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #337 of 464
This is so badly recorded but for some reason so intimate and personal.
I've never been so emotionally moved by an album.
High resolution is not the end of all things.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #339 of 464
You guys are amazing, you remind me a lot of good albums and discovered some awesome good music, keep them coming.
My contribution to the thread:

John Campbell - One Believer
Grace Jones - Island Life
Ben Harper - Welcome to the cruel world
Keb' Mo' - Keb' Mo'
Nick Cave - The boatman's call
David Munyon - More songs for planet earth

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #340 of 464
bump for the 2015 HD tracks Grateful Dead studio albums. I hear the dead always had some serious audio nerds in their entourage so its no surprise their the source material would be excelent. I have the 24/192 versions and they have they have no tape hiss other defects to my ears. foobar range meter puts them at 10-14 DR depending on tracks tested.

Agreed. The Dead revolutionized audio in a lot of ways with a naturally eclectic group of sound experts, some of whom like Owsley Stanley were largely self taught and fueled by various substances. The Dead's live performances and live recordings were largely the beneficiary of this, but they made some great studio albums as well. The 2015 remasters of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are particularly great.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #342 of 464
  I agree and I never see him mentioned in these lists. 

Another fan of Jack Johnson's recording quality.  He owns Mango Tree Studios over in North Shore, Oahu.  He does not strike me as the type of person that would ever rush anything.  Sing the vocals, then go surfing.   Work on the guitar parts, then take a break to watch the sun set.  Also, not sure if his minimalist style makes it easier to lay down a nice sounding track, but I would think it should be when compared to an orchestra recording.  Though I am certain an audio engineer would let us know if a soloist of small number of instruments used is actually more complicated to get right.  I really don't know.  I do know that I like Jack Johnson's music, and it is not really my style, but it sounds very good to me.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #343 of 464
Not sure if mentioned already but Krall's "Live in Paris" is BY FAR the best recorded live album of all time I have ever listened to.

+1! Great album, but also incredibly well recorded.

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #345 of 464
  I know that I may seem fickle with so many nominations here, but I've finally settled on the greatest recorded album of all time. I base my decision on overall recording/mastering, musicianship, and ability of the artist to reach that special place that transcends the ordinary and becomes...extraordinary. 

The album for me must be Muddy Water: Folk Singer 24/96. I don't know all the history of this recording. I believe that it was recorded in a few hours with one mic. The recording is sublime. The music is presented with great nuance and refinement for such an antiquated record (original recording 1964).  You will hear some of the best guitar licks and riffs of all time. Previously no one did this better than Clapton, but after carefully comparing Clapton's Unplugged with Muddy's Folk Singer I would have to give the nod to Muddy. His voice exudes the blues. Listen to the quiver of vibrato as he belts out these tunes. Some are ballads and some "foot stompers." The atmosphere of the room where these men made this treasure is captured perfectly. 

If you care anything about the blues, the roots of rock and roll, or just great music then you must treat yourself to this one. 

I have an AK240 that was overheating when playing DSD files.  As simplistic as this recording is, nothing made it hotter than this DSD recording.  In fact it eventually shut down and died playing the album one day. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back