Best Quality Headphones UNAMPED ( 555,595,a500,a900)
Mar 15, 2006 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
so far i got the 555, but i want to try out the rest of the 3. I notice the 595 and a900 is a bit more money, but i dont mind if there's significantly improvment over the other 2.....

I dont think I will be getting an Amp in the near future. All i want is a stardard headset for homeuse that can play game,music,movies from computer and tv( through my reciever)

thanks.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 41
595 or a900.

one's open one's closed...so you gotta decide what you want. both are great headphones tho.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
Isnt CLOSED headphoes always better than open since it has sound leakage?

Three's really no advantages having sound leakage is there?

somebody help this guy ^
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
A500 or A900 by a longshot without an amp.

Not quite. The A### series headphones sound very different from the HD5#5 series headphones. I did listen to several of the A### series; they're sonically just not my cup of tea - amped or unamped.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 41
closed aren't better than open because open leaks.

they're just...different types.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 41
At these price levels, open sounds better to me. Open headphones have a more natural and airy presentation, without the reverberation due to a closed back. If you look at their frequency response, open cans are more likely to have a flatter and well-extended response, while closed headphones usually have bigger bass and, almost inevitably, a significant rolloff in the treble region.

The A900 is a darn good closed headphone nonetheless. The two you are considering sound different. 595 = more neutral and airy, smoother treble; A900 = bigger soundstage, more bassy.

Both work pretty well unamped. Personally, unless leakage really bothered me, I would pick the 595. Neither one isolates you from external noise very much.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 41
The 555s are excellent unamped - I know you have them already, but I just want to say that they are really good comparitively.

595s are a minor quality upgrade - but having just upgraded from 555 to 595, I personally feel it isn't worth upgrading unless you really love the 555 sound and just want that extra clarity.

I can't comment on the others you suggest.

Quote:

I dont think I will be getting an Amp in the near future. All i want is a stardard headset for homeuse that can play game,music,movies from computer and tv( through my reciever)

555 are ideal for that situation. What is it about the phones that makes you want to upgrade? Answering that question may help you/us progress.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 41
Yeah, it depends on your situation. If sound leakage is a problem for you, then I would definitely recommend the A900s. If sound leakage or isolation isn't a factor for you, then I would recommend the HD595. Not that one is unequivocally better than the other, but open cans do tend, on average, to sound more "airy" than closed cans. Some people don't like the closed-in feeling of closed cans, while for others it's fine.

It would also help if you told us your musical preferences.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 41
When I was playing games through silent mode ( similar to doby headphones) on my reciever...The sound wasnt as spacoius as I would like. I had to really concentrate to tell where was the bullets coming from. Silent mode is simulated surround sounds.

Also its my first pair of phones, so im not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing. When I use my 555's sometimes I can hear instruments playing from the left side but not the right side. Its like surround sounds, but with 2 channels. Its like one side playing one music, while the right plays somethign else. Or i hear some sort of music on the left, then move to the right...

I just wanted to see if the A900 will make a big difference

I also want more bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back