Best Quad Cable?
Mar 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
Just looking around for some input on Quad cables. I've read the reviews for Canare, Mogami, few others.

What's the best quad cable for headphone cabling?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 14
The popular choices are Mogami/Canare and Cardas. Supposedly the first two sound a lot like each other. The Cardas is said to be of better quality.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 14
Are there any others i really cannot find any of these in the UK!

xx

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any others i really cannot find any of these in the UK!

xx

There is a little hidden gem in the Van Damme stuff and in my personel experience I think it takes some beating, especially the UP SPOFC.

I'm in the Midlands - This is where I get mine and the company is one of the most professional I've ever dealt with.

Your one stop shop for audio, video & lighting solutions - Cables :: Bulk Cable :: Starquad Cable

Hope this helps.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 14
Cardas would definitely be the best. From what I've read the Canare is a little more rugged, but some people still prefer the Mogami for sonic reasons. I haven't been able to compare them personally.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a little hidden gem in the Van Damme stuff and in my personel experience I think it takes some beating, especially the UP SPOFC.

I am planning to use some Van Damme for my next project too, hopefully it works out well.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 14
another +1 for cardas.... very high quality cables... however the improvement over starquad from canare or mogami... isnt "THAT" much better (and i use that term very loosely of course open to all different opinions and comments).. but like all audiophile stuff... diminishing returns... but to answer your question ... cardas is better if not the best....

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 14
Does anyone find standard Quad cable just a tad heavy for headphone recabling or even portable amp interconnects? I switched to a mini quad and would like to try something even lighter....

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 14
After doing research outside of Head-Fi I concluded Mogami is best for me, between Mogami, Cardas and Canare. I would use homegrown audio cables if I cared more about this whole cable whatnot, I'm in it to have a fun project.

My next question: Do you DIY pros like to use Techflex or Cloth sleeve for your cables?

My plan is to buy Senn Connectors and Furtech FP-704 from Moon-Audio and the Mogami from Markertech. My next decision will be about the sleeving for it, as I don't want to look at the bare Mogami wire
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My plan is to buy Senn Connectors and Furtech FP-704 from Moon-Audio and the Mogami from Markertech. My next decision will be about the sleeving for it, as I don't want to look at the bare Mogami wire
smily_headphones1.gif

I like this lol
3082784871_57546c1223_b_d.jpg

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 14
That looks like the Techflex Nylong Multifilament.

Is that what is recommended?

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

dresses them up a bit provides just a little more protection.. not really anymore rf sheilding.. people tend to like the finish you get with techflex.. logic seems to suggest that if you go as far to custom some cables.. you might as well go all out...

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

It's nylon multifilament.
I personally prefer it to the Techlex. It's softer,more flexible and easier to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back