Best preamp or preamp/headamp bang for the buck!
Dec 8, 2006 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I heard a Rega Apollo yesterday and I'm pretty much sold on it. That means, unfortunately, that since my Zhaolu WAS my preamp, I'll also have to be getting a separate preamp to power the Aleph 3. So, anyone know about preamps, or know a headamp that does a great job at it, too? My price range is $0-700.

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Both the Headamp GS1 and Stello HP100 leave very little to be desired (assuming you're not looking for a tube product): clean, accurate, powerful sound with a well-built power supply, in an attractive, solid case, a gain switch, and multiple inputs. Granted they're near the top of your price range, but I've not personally heard anything cheaper that I'd recommend.

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 8
I think that's the designation. It sells for $650. It just a preamp.

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 8
The GS-1 brought a black background, and clean dynamics to my SS system when mated with a Rotel power amp, and is my reference headamp for dynamic cans. I like clean, dynamic presentations and have not been dissapointed. It clearly improved over my Rotel RC-970BX preamp.

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 8
I have been disappointed in headphone amps that also can serve as preamps.

The $200 Xian Sheng 708B does a good job in both functions but a really top dedicated preamp and top headphone amp can do better.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 8
What do you guys think of the Rega Cursa? It would go quite well with the source anatomically, and the remote would work with both as well, I do believe. Think it'd be a good buy sonically? I was going to get the Cursa 2000 if anything.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't really know that much about ss preamps. The only ones that I've liked were pretty $$$ ( Ayre,Edge, MBL). But there are a few tubed preamps that you might be able to find used that are in your price range. The Rogue Metis is pretty new but I've seen them used for around $700. It uses 2 6sn7s and has a phono stage and headphone out. I don't think it has a balanced output but your going to have a tough time finding a preamp with them for that price. A nice one that from time to time, go for less than a grand, is the BAT VK-3 or VK3i. I think it uses 4 6922s and is an excellent preamp for the price. If you'd like to go the DIY route, you can get Bottlehead Audio Foreplay lll for less than $400 and the Extended Foreplay upgrade kit is an additional $300. Of course, there are the Melos Sha seres which I've never heard personally but it's headphone amp is legendary. I saw an sha and a gold on audiogon last month, both for under $650. I'm very tube biased so keep that in mind!

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Melos SHA-1 is highly rated and worth a look, but do not overpay.

I would look at the Little Dot II++ for a low priced tube new headphone amp with preamp output. Don't be deterred by negative posts about the Little Dot arcing problems. There was a bad batch of power tubes with the old model that could happen with any tube component. The new modified (II++) model uses different tubes and also has added protection in case you do get a bad tube.

Great customer service from David who is the Ebay seller to buy from (there are 2 or 3 and some are not authorized). Melos is out of business. The shop that used to specialize in Melos repair (Melos Restoration) is no longer in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back