Best possible IEMs(open budget)
Feb 2, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 43

Love S-EM9. I havne't listend to much classical on them yet.  My fav classical inears so far have been Ocharaku Flat-4 (NAMI), ex1000 and fx850... all dynamics too, but I haven't tried that many BA only and only 3 hybrids.

Modded/EQed FX850 to me sound better with classicals than the S-EM9. Listening to acoustics and classicals revealed to me the weaknesses of the S-EM9; just something not quite natural especially in the treble region. But for fast modern genres, the S-EM9 were mouth wateringly good...

Someone wrote on their review something like it has the capability to get you tapping with nearly every song you play because it is dynamic, energetic and fast and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Seriously a unique attribute which I valued highly.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 43

He's not tried just based on him reading around on this site. I have tried those 3 myself but they would not be my recommended choices either tbh. K10 sounded like a SE425 on steroids. I was not impressed with the static shures at all considering the price and all because I like dynamic sound myself but they didn't have that; and as a person who likes my bass, I thought they were lacking in that regard too. Layla I forgot but I preferred Angie to them however I doubt they would suit your needs in terms of sound signature..

My recommendation for you from IEMs I've tried would be the UM Maverick - a hybrid IEM which has a natural sound most BA IEMs do not possess. The highest resolution I heard in an IEM was the S-EM9 but they don't quite sound natural with acoustics and things like classicals. 

EDIT: Campfire Audio Jupiter is worth an audition too. You may like that type of sound.

I know he hasn't. Thats why I called him out. He just tells people not to buy this or that based on others opinions, yet he has stated that I cant be taken seriously. I have no problems with people not liking anything if they tested them, I sure dont go posting in threads to avoid this product if I myself ave never tried them.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #21 of 43
to add my 2 cents in: hopefully to some use for you
try the shure 1500's
I found them convincing after 3 hours of tip fitting, pushing in, pulling out, etc
using them through the usb input isn't quite the equivalent of using my codex +hd-800 from same source
because of a comparative lack of air in the shure but otherwise they ARE equal -- (to my ears) and they have air, just not the equivalent of the HD800's
I bought mine from adorama- they gave me 14 days to return them for refund if I didn't like them

I didn't return them
I listen to opera, classical, rap, rock and roll, etc using cd quality apple lossless rips through itunes

Jeffrey

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 43
I need to put the JH13 FP in.

It's not so much neutral as it is balanced. Not one part of the spectrum stands out from the other. Bass and mids and treble work in tandem to produce a captivating, lively and immersive experience. The presentation is slightly forward and aggressive, making this an exciting listen. This IEM made me learn about coherence, where transition from bass to mids to treble is seamless. Joker gave this IEM 10.0 in sound and remains at the top of the pile.

May 15, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #25 of 43
Hey guy's. I'm far from an experienced audiophile CEIM expert, or have an open budget! I just purchased a Mojo dac. I have checked out the full line of the 64 Audio A &U series (the A12 reviews, an owner comment's sound great!), Ultimate Ears, and other CIEM lines. I am really looking for a pair of excellent sounding balanced CIEM's that will keep me very happy for awhile! I don't believe in the preverbal "END GAME" product people say they are looking for, or found, because the best new technology is being worked on, or near completion even though we all just paid $100's, or even &1000's for the newest model/technology. It doesn't bother me if I pull the trigger on something,  and something newer/better is released weeks later if I am happy with my purchase.

I just want to find a great pair of CIEM's even if I need to get a mold of my ear from an Audiologist, so I have a pair of CIEM's, I can often fall asleep with them in my ear's without breaking them, or waking up in severe pain! I am not looking for, or probably can afford the absolute best which probably eliminates anything above the A8 series price range. I don't like huge booming base, I like tight, and not overpowering over the mids, and highs which is more important to me for vocal reproduction, and the fine details of the instrument's. I also want a pair of CIEM's that will introduce me to something I have never heard before in a song I am familiar with. I may change DACS, or get a different DAP to change thing's up, but I want to keep the next pair of CIEM's for awhile.

So, the big question is should I look no further than 64 Audio CIEM's in the $1,300 price range I want to stay in, or is there other company's I should take a good look at, because I do want to try to get the best return on my investment?

May 15, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #26 of 43

So, the big question is should I look no further than 64 Audio CIEM's in the $1,300 price range I want to stay in, or is there other company's I should take a good look at, because I do want to try to get the best return on my investment?

Answering to your follow-up question from the 1964 ADEL IEMs thread. So here is what I would do:

1. I would narrow my choices to all companies in the country where you are located. This allows for quicker turn around time and also cheaper shipping prices to ship your ear impressions to the manufacturer. And you could also avoid import duties. Another aspect is, in case your IEMs need a refit, it is easy if the manufacturer was domestic as all the above I just stated above applies again for the refit.
2. Then I would decide on my Budget and Sound Preference
3. Then I would narrow my option down based on reading reviews and impressions to get an understanding on how the IEM performs on a technical level
4. See what other aspects of an IEM seems to appeal to me and make my decision 

Of the options I gave you, I would have gone with the JH Angie.. Because it is located in the US, it has a balanced sound and has a Bass adjuster to adjust the bass quantity when I need it and they offer a 20% off on your next purchase of their Custom IEM (in order to qualify for this, I believe you need make you first purchase of their Custom IEM from their website). And it comes with the additional TRRS Balanced cable that might come in handy in case you purchase a DAP that has a Balanced port in the future.

May 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #27 of 43
Thanks for the reply! I definitely want a pair that is made in the US, so  I don't have to bother shipping them internationally to be fixed. Great customer service is also very important to me, and I would rather pay a little more for if it comes down to one CIEM company over another. The JH Angie does sound nice, and the ability to adjust the bass. is a great feature. That is one of the reasons I am considering the 64 Audio CIEM's. I was wondering if Astell & Kern Angie has the built-in adjustable bass as well?

I have the Mojo DAC, and want to get a pair of IEM, or CIEM earbuds that are a good match. Since I am new to buying a pair of earphones that cost more than a few hundred bucks I don't know if it is even important to match different high-end IEM's with certain DACS. I like a balanced earphone across the board. That has a good tight bass, but isn't overpowering, because very clear detailed mids, and highs are more important to me than a headset that has the loudest bass. After reading more about the A8 64 Audio CIEM's I realized this is probably not the best model for me since the bass is pretty strong on that particular model. 

I am still considering going with universal fit IEM's, because I can return them if I am not satisfied with the way they sound. I wanted to know if the Astell & Kern, or another universal fit IEM company is known as the most comfortable fitting IEM that can be worn for hours without any discomfort? Comfort is one of he most important factors in me choosing one earbud headset over another! I understand CIEM's are always going to be the most comfortable.

May 16, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #28 of 43
Seeing from the pictures, Angies Universal are pretty big and I am not sure if they will be comfortable for a long time. I have not tried the U6, but I have tried U10 and U12 which share a similar design. Even the U10 and U12 with 10 and 12 drivers were very comfortable to my ears. So I have no doubt U6 will be comfortable to me. Everyone's ears shape is different, so what was comfortable to me may not necessarily be comfortable to you. Westones (W60, W50) and Shures (SE846) are generally said to be comfortable. You could also check out AKG 3003 and Sennheiser IE800. Here are some IEMs you can check though:

AKG K3003
Shure SE846
Sennheiser IE80
Noble Django
64 Audio U6
Campfire Audio Jupiter, Andromeda
JH Audio Rosie, Angie

Your best bet is to go to each of this thread and do some research and in the process you will come to know many more IEMs that might interest you as well. Research can be tiring but can be rewarding. But also know that, no amount of researching will equal the experience of actually demoing these. If any way possible, try to demo the IEMs that you can. Check if there are Head-Fi meets taking place in a place close by or if there are audiophile shops close by that carry demo units.

Or if you want it to be totally worthwhile, you can actually fly to Denver for the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, and there, you can actually demo the Custom IEMs, as many manufacturers will be there and usually provide a discount like 10%, 15% and 20%. So chances are, the money that you spent on the flight  could be recovered through this discount. 

May 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #30 of 43
  Hi guys,

Im new here and want to ask around for your opinion on what is currently the best flagship iems. My current budget is open so skys the limit for expenses. My past experience were only the shure 846 and I'm not too happy with them personally. It was initially super veil without much details and even with upgraded silver cables and good dacs, i can't seem to get much out of them. I want an iem that is transparent and natural with the highest resolution possible(I'm coming from a HD800 and Ether C sound signature background) and wanted to ask for any opinions.

My current radar of possible iems are either the Noble k10, JH Laylas or the Shure Kse1500 from doing my researches. 

What are some that i may not have listed that i should research?

thanks much

you mention the 3 most expensive/hyped/overrated iems , imo 
rolleyes.gif

check out Lime Ears Aether , at 1200 euros it a)seems great , b)has zero hype (like the 3 you mentioned) and c)at 1200 euros it will not cost an arm and a leg

good luck with your search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back