Best Portables for around 75 bucks?
Mar 29, 2010 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

darth_vato

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a somewhat cheap pair of portable headphones for use with travel and other quiet places; I would really prefer these not to leak sound.

As for my music tastes, I listen to just about everything from Classical to Hip-Hop, and everything in between. As I said the maximum I would be willing to pay would be around 75 - 80 dollars or less.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not a particularly big fan of them in terms of sound quality, and they are at the upper limit of your budget [$80], but the Klipsch S4 is comfortable & isolates reasonably well. Some have reported concern about the potential durability of the cable, but since I only tried them out and don't own them, I can't comment on that.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 5
If by portable you mean headphone rather than IEM, then I'd recommend the jvc ha-m750. Decent sound, comfort, and isolation at a price well below your limit - $45. And since they are closed headphones, no leakage.

One other popular choice is the sennheiser px200ii. But I can't recommend it personally since I've never had the opportunity to audition it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 5
I love the PX200-II, but you might have some trouble finding them for under 80 dollars unfortunately.

The best option I can think of is the Creative Aurvana Live(essentially the same as the much liked Denon D1001), available for only 55 dollars here: Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

Although I haven't heard it, those who have heard these and compared them to the D1001 can testify they are pretty much the same, with the CALs actually getting a coupl of nods for comfort sometime. Don't let the price and brand divert you. They seem like they would be good for a variety of genre and have a warm sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back