Best portable USB sound card?
Aug 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

h6pham8

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best portable usb sound card for my laptop? I prefer it be as small as the X-Fi GO, but i heard that there is often a static problem involved with that sound card. Any suggestions? (preferably usb stick sized like the x-fi go). It will be mainly used to listen to music and watch online shows.

- Thank you

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 4
I think Creative made a pc card slot soundcard, and there are a few USB soundcards in your price range, but I think only the Asus Xonar U3 is the same form-factor as Creative's X-Fi Go! If you already have the X-Fi Go!, I read a passing reference that you get less static when you use a USB cable to connect the DAC instead of plugging it straight in.

Overall though, I don't think you can get great static-free sound out of a less than $50 DAC the size of the U3 and Go! If I'm wrong and you find something, let me know! Meanwhile, I'm happy with my Recon3D sound processor, it's portable enough for me and it was on sale last week for $69 shipped. Maybe it will go on sale again at some point, perhaps you put a price alert on it and save up till you can afford it? Head-Fi'er NamelessPFG might sell his. Here's my review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-thx-usb-external-sound-enhancer-for-pc-ps3-xbox-360-and-mac-sb1300/reviews/7395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back