Best "portable" solution for Sennheiser HD 580
Jan 15, 2002 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

youngjun

New Head-Fier
What is the best bang-for-combination of portable disc player or portable disc player + amp for my new HD 580's? This is mostly for use in my office.

Thanks for your help,
Young

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 23
something along the line of Pana P-CDP (570 if you can get one, the 780 is cool too) hooked up to Headroom Cosmic? that would be the best sounding somewhat portable setup, if you don't mind the $700 price tag of the Cosmic. at $450 the Supreme is a more affordable solution.

or you could wait for the upcoming portable tube-amp, it's still in the testing stage IIRC.

if you want best portability (or think those Headroom amps are too expensive), I'd suggest the PortaCorda at $160.

Jan 15, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 23
Get a Panasonic SL-CT570 or SL-CT470 and send an email to a guy named JMT in these forums.

JMT builds DIY (do it yourself) CHA47 headphone amplifiers for a very reasonable price. The amps sound great and are very well built. Although I have Grado SR-80s, I also understand that JMT will build a high gain version of the CHA47 amp for use with HD580s and HD600s. Its worth exploring if you are looking for the best deal for your money.

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 23
For $45, you can also try Sony's D-25s discman. They may still be available on eBay through a place called Silicon Salvage.

Read the full review of this stellar player here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...?threadid=4834

Although I do not have the 580s, this player is said to be able to power them without an amp, and I believe it. The thing is louder -- and cleaner -- than any other CD player i've heard, portable or otherwise.

The line out is said to be very good on this, also, so you can always upgrade and buy an amp later on, which is what i will probably do.

Good luck!

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 23
Newspaperguy is right about the Sony D-25S.

I didn't read your initial post closely enough. If you are going to be using your portable primarily as a stationary listening unit at your office, then the Sony D-25S may be your only option for listening to the HD580s straight out of the headphone jack as there are no other new players available that would have a headphone jack with enough power to drive the Senns to anywhere near their full potential.

However, if you need a truely portable system for use on the go then the D-25S will not be sufficient. It has no antiskip protection at all since it was manufactured prior to the advent of anti-skip technology in PCDPs. For true portable use, I would again advise you to get the Panasonic CT570 and a CHA47 or total airhead amp from Headroom.

I have both the D-25S and the CT-570 - I use the D-25S as my home listening station and the CT-570 on the move.

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones

I have both the D-25S and the CT-570 - I use the D-25S as my home listening station and the CT-570 on the move.

I have both of these players, too. In fact, I ordered a 570 after getting the D-25S just to compare what a modern "hi-end" PCDP sounds like.

How do the Senns sound out of the 570? I'm listening with Sony V6s, which have a MUCH lower impedence than the Senns, and I still have to crank the 570 up to notch 7,8 or 9 (out of 10) to make them sound good and loud when I want to rock out. For the D-25S, though, I'm only at 5 (out of 10) before I think I will cause hearing damage.

Jan 15, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 23
Originally posted by newspaperguy

How do the Senns sound out of the 570?

I have not heard the Senns out of the 570 myself. I only have a set of Grado SR-80s and they are also low impedance cans.

However, I have read reviews by others who have opined that the 570 doesn't have enough juice to drive Senns satisfactorily out of the headphone jack.

Jan 16, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 23
1. Don't bother trying to drive the 580's without an amp

2. If this rig is just going sit on your desk, get a Sony d-25s (it has no anti-shock, so forget about jogging, etc) on ebay or from Silicon Storage for $45 and the appropriate radio shack power supply. (numerous long threads on this great PCDP, etc.)

3. PM JMT and ask him to build you an altoids cha47 amp optimised for your 580's (gain of 9)

4. The combination of the of the 580's > altoids > d-25s (line out) is very sweet! You will be pleased.

5. While you're at it, call headroom and order a set of Clou Blue (or red) replacement cables for your 580's and a Kimber 1ft mini-mini cable and you'll really be cooking.

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by roll-man

4. The combination of the of the 580's > altoids > d-25s (line out) is very sweet! You will be pleased.

5. While you're at it, call headroom and order a set of Clou Blue (or red) replacement cables for your 580's and a Kimber 1ft mini-mini cable and you'll really be cooking.

you think there would be any benefit using a kimber & blue clou with a portable and altoids.. pricewise the blue clou would probably cost more than the affordable HD-580

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 23
actually, the clou blue runs $89 and the 580 is somewhere around $135-50...you know how it goes...there's always the insatiable desire to upgrade. I'll let you know in about a week, which is when my clou blue and kimber should arrive from headroom. In the meantime, you can read this.

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 23
I just dont know if the clou would be an improvement driven by a portable amp. From what i understand the next improvment from a pcdp setup would be source, amp than cables.. unless you are thinking of using the clou as a portable rig! ;-P definitely catch some attention
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 23
Am I the only one who takes exception with Sennheiser for including such crappy stock cables with the HD600s that this great of a difference can be obtained from a cable upgrade?

Kelly

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Am I the only one who takes exception with Sennheiser for including such crappy stock cables with the HD600s that this great of a difference can be obtained from a cable upgrade?

The Sennheiser cables aren't all that bad...in fact they're pretty good for a $16 cable. However, if you're taking exception to the fact that the Senn's don't come with an "audiophile" cable, bear in mind that such a cable would likely add $100+ to the retail cost of the cans. Also bear in mind that not everyone would want the cable, and the increased price would have a negative impact on sales.

It makes more sense to sell the cans with a reasonable cable, and let those who want a better one purchase it as an aftermarket item, as opposed to forcing the cost on everyone who buys the cans.

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 23
Uh, what Hirsch said. I typed up almost exactly the same thing but it would have been redundant to post. FWIW.

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

The Sennheiser cables aren't all that bad...in fact they're pretty good for a $16 cable. However, if you're taking exception to the fact that the Senn's don't come with an "audiophile" cable, bear in mind that such a cable would likely add $100+ to the retail cost of the cans. Also bear in mind that not everyone would want the cable, and the increased price would have a negative impact on sales.

So wouldn't ALL other headphones (Grado, AKG, Beyer...) benefit as much as the Senns do from a cable upgrade? Why don't other companies make their cords detachable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back