Best Portable Set Up for Streaming Services
Nov 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

leaky74

500+ Head-Fier

Just trying to arrive at the best set up for my needs....

Apologies (utter noob), some of what I'm asking is covered over several threads but I'd appreciate being able to test my understanding of what I've read and get some input from the knowledgeable folk on here.

I've recently got into using Spotify on both my Mac & Android device & I flit between using some porta pros & Ety HF5's (with comply tips), and I'm guessing the fact that this limits me to 320kbps files might mean a lot of folk will advise for me to stick as I am. My taste is pretty eclectic but I listen mainly to a lot of "alternative" stuff. I find the Ety's, whilst detailed, just a bit lacking and even with the comply tips I always get fatigued with in ears after a while. The porta pros are fun for a while....  

However, for an xmas present I'd identified some Koss Pro DJ100s as a gift idea for my wife to get me - I've had Grado SR80's in the past & always like them. I want some over ear, closed backs & read on here that they're not a million miles off sounding like the Grados? I've also read though that they really need amping which set me down the road of looking at a Fiio E11 or 17. From what I've read, whilst the E17 might make a difference on the MAC, it would be pretty pointless (without USB music support) on my android 4.1.1 device (HTC One X+)? Furthermore, the DAC is probably going to highlight the shortfalls in anything less than FLAC anyway?

So, in order to to try & get the best SQ available to me I've arrived at two alternatives:

1) Go with the Pro DJ100s & the Fiio E11 but my question here is that I'm still not sure whether that amp is going to be any use with an android device?

2) Do away with the premium streaming service, use my phone for podcasts only, and use the money I'm saving there to get a dedicated portable set up (including decent files); something along the lines of a Colorfly C3 and the Pro DJ 100s  - my question here is is the onboard DAC going to be good enough for me to just need a portable amp such as the E11 not a combined DAC/Amp like the E17

Any advice will be most welcome.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm now thinking that picking up an ipod touch might the best way forward; I'll be able to continue to use offline content with spotify and with the Fiio E17 the DAC functionality with my Mac and the amp properly the touch (rather than double amping with my HTC)?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back