Best portable headphones for $10-$50
Jun 26, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PMX200 is the same as the PX200, which is a sealed headphone that looks similar to the 100's but sounds different. Instead they are more detailed with much less bass--probably wouldn't be the best hip-hop match.

The SR60 is about on the same levels as the K81DJ, both have different sound. Also know the SR60 does NOT isolate.

The SR60 is more geared towards rock. It lacks bass impact found in higher end Grados (like the SR225) but has the signature Grado midrange and bright highs. For rock/metal they are a good go.

The K81DJ has a slammin' bass signature, good clean mids and highs, and a very slight lack in detail. They have a smooth and fun sound signature that does well with rock, hip-hop, and because of warmth, classical and jazz.

Based on your music types and (apparent) need of isolation, the thumb goes more to the K81DJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100%. And to be fair I fought the recommendation for awhile. Somewhere on this site I am quoted as basically saying I would never own Koss. I am not sure why but I grew up with the stigma that Koss were garbage headphones, even before I knew what good headphones were. I think it has something to do with always seeing them in dept stores.

Anyway, I gladly eat my words. I love mine. Take the plunge- 15 bucks on Amazon -shipped.

Actually, I felt that way for a long time because of the same reason. I always see Koss and Sonys at most dept stores

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #32 of 72
If we're talking up to $50, I'd definitely say PX100 over KSC-75. If we go up to $57, though...
very_evil_smiley.gif
it's gotta be the X3s. ^__^

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #33 of 72
I've been hearing a lot about the KSC75 's" leaking " problem. What exactly does that mean?
Does it means that other will be able to hear what I'm hearing?
I have no problems with that =P

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #34 of 72
Right. The only way the KSC75 isolate is by pointing the drivers into your head. Otherwise, they don't do any job of it. Good to hear that you enjoy sharing your music.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #35 of 72
of course the koss should be tried (i personally prefer the fit and adjustability of the porta-pro over the somewhat annoying earclips of the ksc-75), but if the grado sound interests you i'd recommend the igrado rather than the sr-60 as it's similar sounding (iirc - same drivers?), less expensive (and within your budget), and is intended as a portable.

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #36 of 72
Jun 27, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #37 of 72
KSC75 or PX100

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #38 of 72
Jun 27, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #39 of 72
The KSC75s have advantages in that they are cheaper and also more portable. The sound may be brighter but it is less refined and more harsh sounding than the PX100s, and the ear clip design is very annoying to this ex-user. I would dare to suggest that the PX100s are the best sounding portable headphone for under $50 out there, and their small form factor and ruggedness make them an easy first choice.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #40 of 72
Hi,

The px100's are very nice allround headphones. I own some MB quarts qp55x's, they are suposed to be very similar sounding to grado sr60 (a bit better) and still think the px100's as great phones.

They sound excellent out of every portable , they are light and very comfy.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i personally prefer the fit and adjustability of the porta-pro over the somewhat annoying earclips of the ksc-75

i like the ear clips, they're also fairly adjustable because they're plastic with metal inside that bends! Even if you don't like the ear clips, there's a $5 radio you can buy at WalMart that uses a headband that fits perfectly onto the drivers, making for a very light headphone, like the px100 if you so wish.

It doesn't fold up and doesn't sound as good (but pretty close), but you can also easily recable these to your desired length and still have paid less money (if you already [know somebody who] have a soldering gun) than the PX100.

Then you buy a cheap amp and you're golden. They have lotsa potential, but sound great right off the bat.

It's a good first can with lotsa mods, and it sounds GREAT for $17 (some people compare/prefer it to $100 cans, good ones, too)... you should buy some for your friends and family they're such a good value.

I need to look into buying stock in KOSS... I talk about these cans too much.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #43 of 72
Also from that same thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esthetix
In case anyone was wondering the reason I did not do a poll in my thread... The reason was because I assumed many people would respond to it without actually having tried BOTH PAIRS, thus yielding inaccurate results.

Well, I have owned all three. The only one I got rid of was the PX-100 ... and I normally love Sennheisers. Once you get past the puzzle box case and the wonderfully designed headband and drivers, the sound quality is sorely lacking.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The KSC75s have advantages in that they are cheaper and also more portable. The sound may be brighter but it is less refined and more harsh sounding than the PX100s, and the ear clip design is very annoying to this ex-user. I would dare to suggest that the PX100s are the best sounding portable headphone for under $50 out there, and their small form factor and ruggedness make them an easy first choice.

I think the KSC-75 is more detailed and pleasant-sounding than the PX100. The latter sounds somewhat dark and less aggressive, almost plodding/boring.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #45 of 72
I personally prefer over-the-head phones but only light-weight ones. Alternately, there are some really comfortable, inexpensive and great sounding clips out there.

Koss PortaPro
Sennheiser PX100
Philips SBC-HS303
Koss KSC/35
Koss KSC/75
Koss "The Plug"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back