Best Portable Amp for ER-4P and iPod Classic
Jan 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

etherealbeats

100+ Head-Fier
I need a portable amp for my use with my iPod classic and ER-4P's. I do have the ER4P/S cable but don't like the sound of it from the iPod.

What amp goes best with the ER-4P's?

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 31
any Xin product. Apparently, he uses Etys to design his amps, esp. the Supermacros. They also have a switch to change them from "p" to"s" sounds

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 31
that's right. btw some people might advise a line-out cable to the amp instead of a mini-mini IC from the headphone out, even though the headphone out of the classic seems to be better than that of previous iPod generations. if you're going to use an amp, might as well simplify the signal path.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 31
Supermacro III's are popping up in the FS forum from time to time, and I believe there's one there now for $200. I just bought one last week for my ER-4, but I haven't listened to it yet. You'll definitely be able to carry in your bag, though. If it's any help, I can tell you that I read these boards for weeks before deciding to buy the SM III v6. The iBasso P2 has also been getting great reviews, and it's less than $200 - but you'd have to buy the p-s cable.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 31
Xin amps are great if you can find them used. SuperMacro and SuperMini cured my portable amps upgraditis by offering the option to roll opamps. That's cool because there's no "house sound", so you can configure them to your liking. A lot of people have had good experiences with SuperMicro and Reference too, but they have less features than the other two models.

From my experience, portable amps using opamp AD8397 add warmth to the ER4 and some extra punch in the bass. That includes the Mini^3 and PINT amps. They're DIY builds, so they can be found a lot cheaper than commercial models like RSA or Xin.

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 31
Thanks all for the advice.

I think the Tomahawk will be my weapon of choice. I better get saving I guess. What cable would you recommend with that? I'm liking the Jumbo Cryo Dock from ALO but little out of my price range if I'm gonna get the Tomahawk.

EDIT: Wait what's the difference betweent he Jumbo Cryo and the Cryo?

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 31
The effects of Xin amps with ER4S are overrated. At least using the Supermini III (close to IV with upgrades) and Supermacro LE.
I'm getting much more enjoyment with the iBasso P2, which offers good bass, awesome soundstage, clarity and instrument separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back