Best portable amp for AKG701
Apr 15, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #31 of 32
Cheule, it isn't like real clipping, I just think it is a push for the predator, however, as both burn in, this "harshness" decreases so i bet I will see some improvement. I now listen tot eh predator with the 701 at work and the TF10 on the road and they both sound great, but the 701 (which cost me less than the TF10) are way better for most of the music. And another FYI, O also compared ALAC vs mp3 and it is amazing to me that with either of these phones there is a marked difference that I could not pick up with er4p or lesser phones. I'll leave more comments later, but for the $270 I paid at amazon, the 701s are fantastic, and I don't think for that price I could get better, even for using with the predator. The beauty of the predator is that is a fantastic amp, small and portable and let's me hear great music wherever I go. I have a family at home so it is hard to find time to listen there, so listening to it on the commute or at work is essential. This is one concern that seldom is mentioned in most posts to my knowledge. Unfortunately, compromises that are not sonically related need to be made. Ask anyone who buys speakers with a good WAF (wife acceptance factor). Lee

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 32
Good to know. I have ordered some K701s off eBay for a steal ($236 with $19 shipping) so I'll try them out with the predator when I get them. I have only about 100 hours on my predator so far, because I haven't been rigorously burning it in yet. I figured I'd wait until the K701s arrive and then burn them in together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back