Best Portable Amp for $150 range?
Dec 6, 2007 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Fome

New Head-Fier
So I want to buy my friend a headphone amp for Christmas, since he's a been looking around for one, but I'm extremely unfamiliar with this realm. Is this a reasonable price range for a decent product? He uses his Ipod primarily, but he also listens to music on his laptop. I hope I can get suggestions relatively fast, because if I have to buy it online, I'll have to order as soon as possible.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 15
Well the iBasso P2 has just came out, right in your price bracket. Others are Mini^3, iBasso T2, and I think that probably covers everything thats worth looking at in the price range. I'd shoot for the P2 if I were you, check iBasso website.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 15
I might throw the C&C Box+ (my thoughts on the Box+ are the toggle combinations which give more adjustability to you and the IEM's you try:)) in there but it would come after the Mini^3 & P2:wink:

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 15
The Caffeine amp from Penguin Amp has got some great reviews. It has very good value.
And it is under a hundred, so you have money left for a LOD too.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 15
I'd be tickled pink if a bud got me a P2 for Christmas:wink: Great choice

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 15
If you hadn't already orderd the P2, I would have highly recommended the Meier Corda HEADSIX. Mine sounds amazing, and many others agree.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have any of you guys had any issues ordering from their website? I didn't get any confirmation email, accept from paypal.

They don't send confirmation right away at least. I preordered T2 from them before, no confirmation, if you really want confirmation just throw them an e-mail, they will tell you if they got the order or not and whatever info you are interested in.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you hadn't already orderd the P2, I would have highly recommended the Meier Corda HEADSIX. Mine sounds amazing, and many others agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree on the headsix. Love mine more everyday! Fantastic bargain to boot!

x3. An amazing little amp!

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the P2 sound compared to the Mini^3?

I would like to know this also.

Everyone is so quick to recommend the Ibasso P2 but they never seem to say how it sounds, just that the OP should get it. I have never seen a review of this item either... And I bet half the people reccomending it have never even heard it.

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know this also.

Everyone is so quick to recommend the Ibasso P2 but they never seem to say how it sounds, just that the OP should get it. I have never seen a review of this item either... And I bet half the people reccomending it have never even heard it.

Excellent point Fraseyboy, Jamato8 is the one who is giving his impressions in the other iBasso P2 thread. Not sure how many others have reviewed or are in the process.

Based on Jam's initial impressions and the photo's of the innards and build quality I'd say $139.00 is very reasonable
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back