Best portable amp/dac for $300
Feb 9, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #31 of 36
The Predator is a very musical amp, excellent bass in extension, slam and reverb with great punch also. Sweet mids and non fatiguing highs. Also depth of soundstage is really impressive. :) 

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 36
does anyone know if the uha-6s mk2 is worth getting over the uha-4? I want the dac portion to be used at home with speakers (Fostex PM0.3) and the amp portion for my ipod touch with IEMs (Shure se215).

side note: I've read somewhere that because my active monitors have very low input sensitivity, it means I need a very weak input signal of 0.35V... So will the Leckertons be right for my Fostex monitors? Thanks so much... and sorry for the noob question.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:
does anyone know if the uha-6s mk2 is worth getting over the uha-4? I want the dac portion to be used at home with speakers (Fostex PM0.3) and the amp portion for my ipod touch with IEMs (Shure se215).

side note: I've read somewhere that because my active monitors have very low input sensitivity, it means I need a very weak input signal of 0.35V... So will the Leckertons be right for my Fostex monitors? Thanks so much... and sorry for the noob question.

The UHA-6 MK II has a better DAC and amplification section. If you are using them for both home and portable listening I think the extra cash is worth spending on the UHA-6 MK II

Quote:
All DACs sound the same.

Troll?

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 36
The UHA-6 MK II has a better DAC and amplification section. If you are using them for both home and portable listening I think the extra cash is worth spending on the UHA-6 MK II

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #36 of 36
Resurrecting this old thread to offer an option for anyone doing research. I've managed to put together an ODAC/O2 within the same enclosure, making it a viable portable option for someone with a little DIY experience. Cost about $200 to put together and it sounds really solid (huge step up from an iPhone, anyway). 

Mainly listened to it with Oppo PM-3s, but I've also been able to power my he-560s reasonably well. 

Only major downside is that it still charges with a hefty wall wart (like a normal battery powered O2 amp) so you've gotta be feeling pretty dedicated to travel with it long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back